This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking of trying dark souls..

#1chris121691Posted 3/5/2014 4:46:22 AM
Just a few questions..Is it like a diablo type game? Or more like monster hunter-ish?
And is there co-op by chance? Also is the pc port decent, or should I try it for xbox?
Thanks fellas.
#2RelixedPosted 3/5/2014 4:56:43 AM
1. Not like diablo, boss battles are bit Monster Hunterish but easier.
2. There's somekind co-op for bosses but not a true one.
3. It's the best version of them, even better with some small mods that easy to apply. It's unknow if you'll be able to play online after July when GFWL dies, the only minus.
---
~Relix
#3acangialPosted 3/5/2014 4:59:07 AM
You are going to feedback that is quite polarized from folks. I am certainly on one of those poles.

While the Souls series has quite a few faults, for me it was easy took past all that. Dark Souls is an experience and focuses on being an actual game.

There is virtually no similarity to Diablo except that it is action oriented and you can get better loot to beat harder mobs/bosses over time; though loot doesn't drop so easily and when you get a good piece of loot you feel like you actually accomplished something. It does have similarities to Monster Hunter, but still maintains it's own identity outright. Actually it could be considered as being the true 3D successor to Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

XBOX version is good, but has serious frame rate drops in some areas of the game. PS3 version actually runs smoother, but with a slight hit to smoother looking graphics. Community is the most active still on PS3, but that will change dramatically next week when DS2 releases.

PC version needs a mod in order for it look good and run smooth. I am not sure there is many people left playing which will impact your coop experiences. Coop is not a traditional one, but I think very well implemented and certainly different.

Despite some of the game's faults, Dark Souls to me represents the pinnacle of a pure video game experience. If I don't count my obsession with MMOs, I would put Dark Souls up there as my favorite game of all time.
---
i5-3570K, GTX660 2GB, ASRock Z77 EXTRM4, CV 8GB DDR, Samsung 840 120GB, WD Caviar Blk 1T, XFX PRO750W, CM HAF 922, CM Hyp 212 EVO, Logitech G13 & G700
#4chris121691(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2014 5:00:44 AM
Relixed posted...
1. Not like diablo, boss battles are bit Monster Hunterish but easier.
2. There's somekind co-op for bosses but not a true one.
3. It's the best version of them, even better with some small mods that easy to apply. It's unknow if you'll be able to play online after July when GFWL dies, the only minus.

Sorry it's early, so I can get confused easily lol. What do you mean by not true co-op? And when you say online are you referring to the 'co-op' or like some kind of pvp stuff or something?
#5chris121691(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2014 5:02:52 AM
acangial posted...
You are going to feedback that is quite polarized from folks. I am certainly on one of those poles.

While the Souls series has quite a few faults, for me it was easy took past all that. Dark Souls is an experience and focuses on being an actual game.

There is virtually no similarity to Diablo except that it is action oriented and you can get better loot to beat harder mobs/bosses over time; though loot doesn't drop so easily and when you get a good piece of loot you feel like you actually accomplished something. It does have similarities to Monster Hunter, but still maintains it's own identity outright. Actually it could be considered as being the true 3D successor to Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

XBOX version is good, but has serious frame rate drops in some areas of the game. PS3 version actually runs smoother, but with a slight hit to smoother looking graphics. Community is the most active still on PS3, but that will change dramatically next week when DS2 releases.

PC version needs a mod in order for it look good and run smooth. I am not sure there is many people left playing which will impact your coop experiences. Coop is not a traditional one, but I think very well implemented and certainly different.

Despite some of the game's faults, Dark Souls to me represents the pinnacle of a pure video game experience. If I don't count my obsession with MMOs, I would put Dark Souls up there as my favorite game of all time.

Thanks for that post. cleared some things up for me. Just one question about the loot..is it like random stuff like baldur gate? or more like skyrim? Sorry for all the questions, just looking to get into the game I've heard so much praise about.
#6RelixedPosted 3/5/2014 5:03:15 AM
chris121691 posted...
What do you mean by not true co-op? And when you say online are you referring to the 'co-op' or like some kind of pvp stuff or something?

You can only co-op for bosses mostly, you can't go trought the whole game together with someone. And online is co-op, hints left by other players and pvp.
---
~Relix
#7FeatherwindPosted 3/5/2014 5:08:08 AM
There might be mods for the PC to change the co-op experience. It's not a "true" co-op: a player can place a summoning sign that lets others summon him into their worlds as a friendly phantom. He can help those who summon him to defeat enemies and gain souls (money/experience) as a reward but his own world is not affected by defeating enemies in the worlds of other players.
---
pathological
#8acangialPosted 3/5/2014 5:13:08 AM
chris121691 posted...
acangial posted...

Thanks for that post. cleared some things up for me. Just one question about the loot..is it like random stuff like baldur gate? or more like skyrim? Sorry for all the questions, just looking to get into the game I've heard so much praise about.

There is an RNG involved, but only on some mobs. For instance, a coveted weapon in the game is the Baldur Side Sword (BSS). That is a RNG drop from a certain mob type and the RNG is higher when that mob is in a certain area. Other bosses have a guaranteed item drop, while again, some others have a RNG affecting the drop. The game is extremely complex and although many folks say to just go in blind and learn the hard way, I don't advise that. There are a few websites that have done a great job mapping the entire game. I highly advise you read up on them, especially as you decide what toon to roll first. Just go for it. It's cheap now and you won't be disappointed if you are patient, enjoy a challenge and RPG number crunching goodness.
---
i5-3570K, GTX660 2GB, ASRock Z77 EXTRM4, CV 8GB DDR, Samsung 840 120GB, WD Caviar Blk 1T, XFX PRO750W, CM HAF 922, CM Hyp 212 EVO, Logitech G13 & G700
#9acangialPosted 3/5/2014 5:13:50 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10x_stevey_xPosted 3/5/2014 5:14:21 AM
acangial posted...

PC version needs a mod in order for it look good and run smooth.

even without mods it looks just as good as console versions and runs smoother.