This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to make the right choice for video card 780 vs 290

#1Colonel_RomeoPosted 3/5/2014 11:03:29 AM
I have been reading post and trying my best to understand video cards more but looking at the specs the r 290 appears to be clearly stronger then the Gtx 780 so at the same price point why do people say the 780 is better? I hope to game at higher then 1080p build so far is this

intel 4770k
Asus Hero IV
Corsair 750 watt psu
Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Cooler- Corsair H100

Still looking at ssd's and a video card.
---
FFXIV- Tadakatsu Honda of Gilamesh
50 brd, 50 mnk.
#2SinisterSlayPosted 3/5/2014 11:11:21 AM
780 because in 5 years, the 780 will still be getting updates to drivers and nVidia supports Linux (SteamOS) and OpenGL the best.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3WyzeGyePosted 3/5/2014 11:13:22 AM
Plus Shadowplay, and to a lesser extent, gamestream.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#4Colonel_Romeo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2014 11:19:23 AM
Guess the 780 lighting card it is, have been using amd for years first really high end build and hope it goes well.
---
50 brd, 50 mnk.
#5aak57Posted 3/5/2014 11:20:02 AM
You have to do more than just look at specs since those numbers aren't super meaningful given that they use different architectures. Go look at benchmarks.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#6ThePCElitistPosted 3/5/2014 11:20:56 AM
Colonel_Romeo posted...
Guess the 780 lighting card it is, have been using amd for years first really high end build and hope it goes well.

You won't have any issues with the 780 gpu or the drivers. As a 290x fan I'll be the first to admit that Amd sucks at drivers. I haven't had a stable driver since last November.
#7SinisterSlayPosted 3/5/2014 11:21:48 AM
aak57 posted...
You have to do more than just look at specs since those numbers aren't super meaningful given that they use different architectures. Go look at benchmarks.

Exactly, I only recommend the 780 for longevity, if your the kind of person that upgrades often, you don't have to worry about longevity.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8Colonel_Romeo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2014 11:24:19 AM
aak57 posted...

Yea I am starting to figure this out now watching some bench marks and reading more on it the 780 most of the time beats it out even at higher res normally due to the high heat the card is producing which causes it to throttle 8-(
---
50 brd, 50 mnk.
#9SinisterSlayPosted 3/5/2014 11:27:00 AM
Colonel_Romeo posted...
aak57 posted...

Yea I am starting to figure this out now watching some bench marks and reading more on it the 780 most of the time beats it out even at higher res normally due to the high heat the card is producing which causes it to throttle 8-(

The 290 has a "quiet" mode that a lot of those benchmarks used. Under its performance mode (it sounds like a turbine) it doesn't heat up and lose performance.
---
#10garyjpatersonPosted 3/5/2014 11:32:51 AM
Don't know what to recommend, as i havent looked into it enough, HOWEVER, i've heard the reference 290/x are super loud and will be throttling the GPU in most games, while still being at 94 degrees.

Get a NON-reference card, they are much more capable. They wont throttle, they will be much quieter, keep the gpu temperature under control and will have some decent OC headroom.

If it was me id buy me a ASUS DirectCUII 290, but ill be sticking with my 6870 for a while.
---
===>>> http://www.garyjpaterson.deviantart.com <<<===