This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rate my $700 gaming build.. my first build.

#31PhilOnDezPosted 3/6/2014 8:11:44 AM
tiger8191 posted...
daveyman23 posted...
NewportBox100s posted...
Def not dropping the RAM to 4. I want 8. Keeping the cooler, do not want to risk it. 600 watts will basically future proof my rig. Glad you guys like it, I'm guessing I did pretty good for myself. Putting it together will be another story.

Why make this topic if you aren't going to listen?

Lol ikr. Happens all the time. Cracks me up everytime.

More frustrating than funny to me. It's in his budget to get mid-high tier parts yet he wants an inferior build for the sake of 8 gigs of ram which a whopping 1 game currently benefits from, yet if he took my suggestion he'd get superior performance in that game as well as every other game due to the parts being so much more powerful.

On top of that, he brags about 'future proof'ing with a 600w PSU, implying he wants to be able to upgrade when ram is literally the easiest thing to upgrade in a pc. All you have to do is buy it, open the case, pop it in, close the case. You don't have to enable it, format it, change drivers, run power cables to it, nothing.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#32NewportBox100s(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2014 8:25:01 AM
I'm gonna cut out the EVO then, and get 2 extra fans. I will raise my budget but keep my 8 gigs RAM.. happy now? Damn
---
http://twitter.com/ChaseBurr http://instagram.com/gucciplatinum
http://youtube.com/user/OmegaWeaponFFVIII
#33PhilOnDezPosted 3/6/2014 8:37:31 AM
I said cut the evo and ram to get a 4570 and 660, not some extra case fans. But whatever, I've tried to help in pretty much every topic you've made and haven't made any headway. Buy what you want, the 6300 isn't awful, but at your budget intel is absolutely in the cards and to match the per-thread performance of Haswell you'd have to overclock your 6300 to over 7 GHz. The 4570 is 90% as fast as the 8350 in tasks running on 8 threads despite it only having 4 cores and no hyperthreading.

As for the ram, 8+ gigs of ram can make a huge difference in some tasks, typically the same tasks that benefit from a ton of cores/threads. Gaming, however, isn't one of those tasks and that's what you were asking about.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
#34RequiemPosted 3/6/2014 8:46:24 AM
It's not like you need to get the fans right away.

Personally, I'd listen to philondez for the most part. If you can find one, I'd buy a single 4gb ram stick, and wait until some later time (sale, etc etc) to pick up another one. Same for extra fans. Just wait until they go on sale (ram and fans seem to go on sale pretty often on Neweggs).

Adding fans and ram are relatively cheap upgrade options that can be done any later time when a sale happens. CPU/MB and GPU are much more expensive components to upgrade.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#35Pengu1nPosted 3/6/2014 9:44:38 AM
Aceallways posted...
Wouldn't a stock i5 be faster than this processor OCed? If so then why not drop the cooler and get the better processor. I know this board is obsessed with them but I have been building my own gaming PCs for 13 years and never used anything other than stock.The 3 PCs I built in that time are still all working great.

Only if you believe the hype. The FX 6300 is a more than adequate processor (much like any AMD CPU) for gaming. People will always tell you that you have to buy intel and yes apparently intel stuff is faster but only a small percentage faster so you really have to ask yourself is 2fps worth paying the extra cash over an AMD CPU?
---
AMD FX 6300, 16GB DDR3, 7870 GHZ OC 2GB, 2x 1TB HDD's, 64 GB SATA III SSD, 12X SAMSUNG BLU RAY, 750W PSU, X-FI FATAL1TY,WINDOWS 7
#36PhilOnDezPosted 3/6/2014 10:14:43 AM
Haswell at 3.6 is 45% faster than steamroller at 4.2. If that's a 'small percentage' to you then fine. To me that's a massive difference, one I'm willing to pay the extra money for since in the games I play even Ivy Bridge can struggle at times.

On extremely low budgets, yeah, an i5 isn't worth the money when you would have to get a crappy/no GPU to fit one in, but $700 isn't a budget where getting a 6300 makes sense. At $5-600 by all means grab one.
---
#37DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/6/2014 1:02:36 PM(edited)
Fade2black001 posted...
Cade6669 posted...
It's good but I get Ram at 1600 hz or better. Not that big of a deal, however.

RAM speed makes no difference in gaming. One could go from 1033mhz to 3200mhz and see no difference.

It does in some games at higher framerates. Not really a good extra investment.
I'd say dropping the cooler, and getting a low-end i5 and a 650Ti Boost or a 660 is good advice.
CX600 isn't really a good "future proof" power supply because, while it's a solid unit and delivers 600w, it's not remarkable on either end. It'd be better to get a CX430 now and save some money to put towards better components, and when you feel like you want to replace your PSU for a reason, do it then, and get yourself a nice high-end 650-750w. You'll have better performance now, and a better power supply when you need it.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#38Mad_Mike86Posted 3/6/2014 2:41:42 PM
Would an i5-3350p be better since its Intel and closer to budget?
---
"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
GT - Mad Mike86
#39DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/6/2014 2:47:57 PM
Probably, but why get a low power processor? Can't you usually get a higher clocked processor for the same price?
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#40PhilOnDezPosted 3/6/2014 2:52:14 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/35kum

4570, 660, 8 gigs of ram, $650. Just pick out a case.
---