This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a laptop.

#11ShuraYukihime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2014 11:55:13 PM
staticxtreme5 posted...
ShuraYukihime posted...
If I did however go with the one in my first link I wouldn't be getting "bent over" too badly would I? I feel I would actually use the tablet features available to me and I really do like that it has a touch screen.

I used to be very anti touch screen but since it has invaded all my other tech it feels sort of strange to not have it on the computer too.

Nah, that's not a bad price. I checked Lenovo's website and that series sells for $1099+.

At the end of the day your the one that's gonna be using it. My advice is to go demo it in store if possible and make sure its what you want. If so, then pull the trigger. Don't let some internet forum dwellers try and get you to buy something else that's slightly cheaper but isn't what you want. The looks and aesthetics, build quality as well as features are all important when buying a product, not just the hardware underneath.

I learned that the hard way with my last laptop. Thing was too big and heavy to be portable all while not being powerful enough for the size.

I've never been good at judging prices when it comes to electronics. No idea why. That's why I always ask others.
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#12DoramiPosted 3/6/2014 12:01:59 AM
What was your last laptop? The various vendors have been engaging in a thin-and-light war for the last few years--once the average weight of a 14" laptop was 5 lb. Now it's more likely to be 4 lb. Some vendors have been cutting bezel size to reduce footprint while keeping the same size screen. You might be surprised by how large you can go, and large laptops can come with nice benefits like better keyboard layout and larger text (or more screen real estate).
---
3DS FC: 1246-9917-4900 | Pokemon X: IGN: Jing | Safari: Ground: Phanpy, Camerupt, Diggersby
NNID: StareRoe | PSN: Raftina
#13ShuraYukihime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2014 12:15:14 AM
My last laptop was an old Toshiba that seemed to weigh ten pounds. It was supposed to have an extended battery I guess. A shame it lost it's charge once and could never be charged again. Something that was fixed in a BIOS update but I couldn't update. For it to work even on AC power the battery needed a 20% charge.

In any event it was a weak machine for the price and size. i3, 4GB RAM, Intel HD graphics I think. Might have cost me six hundred dollars at the time.
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#14ShuraYukihime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 9:16:30 PM
So I went with the one in my original post. I'm curious though it doesn't seem to exist on Lenovos site. Only Bestbuy. Do laptop makers do this where they make certain models available only to certain retailers?
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#15DoramiPosted 3/8/2014 9:18:47 PM
Sometimes, yes. If you browse on Bestbuy's website, you'll see this model listed as a blue label item (meaning Best Buy only).

This particular model uses most of the components of the gen 3 Intel based Yoga 11S but puts a gen 4 chip inside, giving it better battery life than the gen 3 Intel Yoga 11S and much better capabilities than the Yoga 2 11 (though you wouldn't use most of those).
---
3DS FC: 1246-9917-4900 | Pokemon X: IGN: Jing | Safari: Ground: Phanpy, Camerupt, Diggersby
NNID: StareRoe | PSN: Raftina
#16ShuraYukihime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 9:25:13 PM
Dorami posted...
Sometimes, yes. If you browse on Bestbuy's website, you'll see this model listed as a blue label item (meaning Best Buy only).

This particular model uses most of the components of the gen 3 Intel based Yoga 11S but puts a gen 4 chip inside, giving it better battery life than the gen 3 Intel Yoga 11S and much better capabilities than the Yoga 2 11 (though you wouldn't use most of those).

Good to know. When things seem "out of the ordinary" it sets off some weird OCD thing in my brain.

Hell finding out my Windows Product Key wasn't on the machine was irritating for some reason.
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#17ShuraYukihime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 6:35:34 PM
Another question pertaining to this particular model that I can't seem to find the answer for. When charging with the laptop off the battery LED never seems to go off even once fully charged. I couldn't find a pdf that pertains to my particular model and the internet has given me mixed results based on other models.

In many cases it seems like the light should go off once fully charged. Though one discussion people said it stayed solid white once the laptop had enough of a charge or was fully charged.

Any ideas?
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#18SILENTGHOSTS96Posted 3/9/2014 6:36:19 PM
ShuraYukihime posted...
I'm looking for a laptop. Not for gaming but for every day use. I need something small. Having an SSD would be preferable. I'm trying to stay around or under $700.

How does something like that compare to what is out there?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-yoga-ultrabook-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-4gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-silver-gray/1835037.p?id=1219065985762&skuId=1835037

What (and where) should I be looking for (at)?

Again, gaming is not the focal point and any gaming done on the machine would likely be of the older or indie variety. But writing, web browsing, media, and so on would be the focus.

you sucks balls
---
GT is SiL3NT E3G1e
#19ShuraYukihime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 6:42:50 PM
SILENTGHOSTS96 posted...
ShuraYukihime posted...
I'm looking for a laptop. Not for gaming but for every day use. I need something small. Having an SSD would be preferable. I'm trying to stay around or under $700.

How does something like that compare to what is out there?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-yoga-ultrabook-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-4gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-silver-gray/1835037.p?id=1219065985762&skuId=1835037

What (and where) should I be looking for (at)?

Again, gaming is not the focal point and any gaming done on the machine would likely be of the older or indie variety. But writing, web browsing, media, and so on would be the focus.

you sucks balls

You're opinion has been noted. Thank you for your time.
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#20Colonel_RomeoPosted 3/9/2014 6:45:25 PM
Sent you a pm Shura
---
FFXIV- Tadakatsu Honda of Gilamesh
50 brd, 50 mnk.