This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

On the fence with Elder Scrolls Online

#11PsythikPosted 3/5/2014 10:59:05 PM
I got so bored I didn't even use the rest of my free weekend. It's not much more than yet another WoW clone.
---
4670K | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#12SlaynPosted 3/5/2014 11:04:57 PM
a687947 posted...
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Get it if:

You like the Elder Scrolls Name
Have to play every MMO there is
You like the color Brown

Don't get it if:

You're looking for a game worth of the Elder Scrolls name.
You like exploration and freedom
You dislike games that you have to buy, THEN sub, AND have a cash shop
You're looking for a decent MMO

don't listen to this guy as he obviously hasn't played it. Less than two hours into the beta they let you loose on an island that is about 5-6 sq. miles, and at level 10 you can explore pretty much all of cyrodiil, which is probably close to 15 sq. miles. The dominant color actually seems to be green not brown and the island for the aldmeri dominion at least is actually pretty colorful

MMO exploration is different than Elder Scrolls exploration.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#13a687947Posted 3/5/2014 11:08:50 PM
Slayn posted...
a687947 posted...
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Get it if:

You like the color Brown

Don't get it if:

don't listen to this guy as he obviously hasn't played it. Less than two hours into the beta they let you loose on an island that is about 5-6 sq. miles, and at level 10 you can explore pretty much all of cyrodiil, which is probably close to 15 sq. miles. The dominant color actually seems to be green not brown and the island for the aldmeri dominion at least is actually pretty colorful

MMO exploration is different than Elder Scrolls exploration.

and ESO has achieved a pretty good balance between the two
#14crazyray47Posted 3/6/2014 12:12:05 AM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Get it if:

You like the color Brown

Don't get it if:

He speaks the truth.
#15SonyHoundDawgPosted 3/6/2014 1:11:16 AM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Get it if:

You like the color Brown

Don't get it if:

trollol
#16_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 3/6/2014 1:26:13 AM(edited)
Hard to get excited about any MMO nowadays to be honest. And I do not feel that this particular MMO is doing anything to make me excited again. Seems like the same old thing in a new setting. That maybe would have worked several years ago, but by now it is just so old and tired.

You also see it in the respons of people to this game and every new release in the genre. Everyone has become increasingly skeptical, and for good reason. The whole genre has become incredibly stagnant. You could argue that the MMO that is still largely considered the best was released about a decade ago, and new MMO's that are released still follow that same formula. I think that says a lot.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#17my_name_is_EdPosted 3/6/2014 2:26:19 AM
SonyHoundDawg posted...

trollol

not trollol. It's nothing like a true ES game, and it's a themepark mmo at best.

a687947 posted...

"Go here to do quest X" and "go here to do event Y" is not exploration. It's a Themepark. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the term? A Themepark is a place you go to to do various little things. You go here to ride this ride, you go there to play this little game, and then you meet back up at the center when all is said and done, then you move to the next themepark.
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#18Blackmon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2014 5:53:52 AM
Orestes417 posted...
On general principles I never recommend committing to a new mmo until after the first round of raiding is done and the second is being patched in. Preferably chill till you see several major content patches.

Thanks for the replies. I was going to wait and see how it goes. But the main thing that I would hate to miss is the prepurchase offer. Being able to play any race on any faction is kind of a big thing in case I decide that it's worth playing after a couple months of being released. Unless they're going to offer that chance later on as a separate dlc of some sort.

Unless of course being on certain factions won't matter much after the first 10-15 levels.
---
Http://www.Blackmon.com/
#19TES_NutPosted 3/6/2014 6:11:13 AM
I was against it before I played the beta. I am legit amity impressed. While fundamental you are still anchored to the same old trinity roles, there is a great deal of customization available within each role. Want to be a magic using character with heavy armor and a great sword you can, it would be silly, but you could. Combat too, while still hot bar based is more than the simple rotations, cooldown, repeat. Combat requires active blocking and positioning. It's very fluid. Te world is colorful. Maybe too colorful. It doesn't have the grit I expect of tamriel. Npc models are crisp and emote well in conversation. And that was on the inferior weekend version. I can't wait to see what the current build looks like come open beta.
---
"Sing of Manetheren, the sword that could not be broken
...Weep for Manetheren. Weep for what is lost forever"
#20TheSmilingLordPosted 3/6/2014 7:01:53 AM
Blackmon posted...
But the main thing that I would hate to miss is the prepurchase offer. Being able to play any race on any faction is kind of a big thing in case I decide that it's worth playing after a couple months of being released.

One thing I've learned through the years: Pre Order bonuses are not always worth it.

With that said I had fun playing the game. I would recommend holding off for the first two months and see what other people have to say about it. If you can't wait, then subscribe for two months and see for yourself. You can (and if it's a stinker - should) cancel at any time. If you're afraid it's going to suck the life out of you and you don't trust yourself to quit, then purchase a really good game you haven't played before. That should tear you away just long enough to have second thoughts about re subscribing.
---
Gamertag: Ragnarok