This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DX12 to be officially unvieled at GDC

#11FlyinTonitePosted 3/6/2014 12:28:18 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It'll be a few years before developers even start touching DX12, why waste time on something with very few customers?

Considering the consoles are stuck at 11.2, yeah, not seeing it anytime soon

More or less, I just got a gtx 780 so I'm not worried about it. In 2-3 years sure, but not anytime soon.
---
Sony fanboys are the most annoying, Nintendo fanboys are the most ignorant and Microsoft fanboys are adorable because they think they're people.
#12KamenRiderBladePosted 3/6/2014 1:12:07 AM
Finally, it's been a while?
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#13godplaysSNESPosted 3/6/2014 2:18:22 AM
It's possible that DX12 is a superset of DX11.2 and will work on today's cards too. I hope so for my Titans' sake

But it's probably going to be exclusive to Windows 9 anyway, which will make it stillborn.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#14darkstar4221Posted 3/6/2014 2:41:18 AM
why doesn't Microsoft just make DX open source?
#15my_name_is_EdPosted 3/6/2014 2:53:40 AM
darkstar4221 posted...

Well there's no money in that, now is there?
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#16DV8ingSourcesPosted 3/6/2014 2:58:20 AM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
darkstar4221 posted...

It's also a bad idea from a more logical standpoint. Standards... You can't have something open source and expect only 1 thread to become standard. Standards are important as they reduce the headaches and support issues multiple versions of the same api would have. The whole point of DX is to simplify the lower end stuff for developers. Having it open source would mean there would be chaos and its much more likely no one would really use it and instead resort to an alternative like openGL. Open Source is not always good.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#17darkstar4221Posted 3/6/2014 5:43:51 AM(edited)
DV8ingSources posted...
my_name_is_Ed posted...
darkstar4221 posted...

It's also a bad idea from a more logical standpoint. Standards... You can't have something open source and expect only 1 thread to become standard. Standards are important as they reduce the headaches and support issues multiple versions of the same api would have. The whole point of DX is to simplify the lower end stuff for developers. Having it open source would mean there would be chaos and its much more likely no one would really use it and instead resort to an alternative like openGL. Open Source is not always good.

DX is not a standard. If DX was a standard it would be cross platform. DX is simply Microsoft abusing it's monopoly power, that's so easy to see. If gaming was more popular lets say under Linux and Mac, Microsoft would lose market-share and possibly million of dollars. From what I can tell the only thing that's keeping windows as the most widely used OS is gaming, so Microsoft HAS to keep DX proprietary and only usable on windows.

Just think about it, if 50% of the games available worked on Linux or some other OS out of the box, you think that would make Microsoft happy? No Microsoft wants to maintain it's monopoly, they want to keep the user locked to using windows forever, and in the process racking up billions of dollars in windows licensing fees every year. Why do you think Microsoft constantly ignores open standards while they try to "standardize" the desktop market with their own proprietary file formats (that only work on windows).
#18popping4itPosted 3/6/2014 5:41:39 AM
windows paywall actually isnt that bad. it prevents the race to bottom in software like it already happened to android play store. quality bar plummets expectation of free games and f2p. bleh.
---
whens mahvel?
#19Rexdragon125Posted 3/6/2014 6:09:46 AM
I'm glad to pay the Windows paywall if it means I don't have to deal with Linux. It's nowhere near ready for the desktop.
#20Trance_Fan(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2014 7:38:09 AM
if ms is announcing dx12 now i would expect this to release towards the end of the year with windows 8.2
---
i think it's nice