This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dungeon Siege 1 or 2, or Neverwinter Nights 1?

#1machetemanPosted 3/5/2014 10:39:16 PM
Which? - Results (28 votes)
Neverwinter Nights
64.29% (18 votes)
Dungeon Siege
17.86% (5 votes)
Dungeon Siege 2
17.86% (5 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I've heard bad things about NWN due to boring combat and boring story.

I havent heard much about DS1/2, but I know DS2 is much easier on the eyes and a bit more contemporary.

Any ideas?
#2PsythikPosted 3/5/2014 10:48:35 PM
No
---
4670K | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#3SlaynPosted 3/5/2014 10:56:31 PM
I hated DS1, I thought it had much worse combat than NWN.

So NWN had it's first campaign which is kind of meh. The story wasn't terrible, but kind of generic. I actually liked it, but a lot of people didn't because it fell short of Baldur's Gate. The combat I think is fine. It is real time turn based I guess you can say? I don't know I thought it was fine, but it only had your character and one companion, unless most other Bioware games of at LEAST three characters at once. I like to use Druid so I get a third party member to fight for me.

The first expansion improved quite a bit on the story, was far less generic IMO. The second expansion was really good, I highly recommend it. Either way I recommend even the boring original campaign over DS1, I thought that game was terrible. The whole combat was right click something and watch your guy either bash it over and over and use the same spell over and over. So terrible... never played the 2nd.

I loved NWN I liked the third edition class system, I liked the whole atmosphere and music, the mix of long written text as well as voice in certain dialogues ( vs everything voices ). The games got progressively better with expansions, but I did enjoy the original game very much.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#4NingishzidaPosted 3/5/2014 11:19:05 PM
macheteman posted...
I've heard bad things about NWN due to boring combat and boring story.

I havent heard much about DS1/2, but I know DS2 is much easier on the eyes and a bit more contemporary.

Any ideas?

You're sort of asking for a comparison of apples and oranges, Dungeon Siege is hack n slash, NWN is D&D role-playing.

That in itself should paint a picture about what you're in for, but if not, NWN and its two expansions are far more involved and complex than DS. The character building is about as complex as it gets outside of NWN2, there's way more words to read due to involved story and quests and NPC dialogue, and way more stats and numbers and crap to learn because D&D

As previous poster said, order goes Hordes of the Underdark > Shadows of Undrentide > original campaign (OC)

the original campaign is quite poor because they "had to" basically lobotomize it, the original design document has been released and shows that NWN OC should have pissed on Baldur's Gate, concept-wise

All's not lost, you've got about 600 user-made modules to choose from that are in the Hall of Fame.

I recommend Darkness Over Daggerford, Crimson Tides of Tethyr, Hex Coda 01.