This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does everyone call L.A Noire a linear game?

#1ravenom_06Posted 3/6/2014 11:03:59 PM
True, it's not really open world. But the cases aren't linear, there are different outcomes, but it doesn't mess with the story though...That said, LA noire is not linear... for me.
---
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 2 and Dishonored
#2Treason686Posted 3/6/2014 11:05:19 PM
Everything you described is linear.
---
I <3 segfault
#3KillerTrufflePosted 3/6/2014 11:12:15 PM
Just because it may branch to different endings depending on your choices and stuff doesn't make it non-linear. You still follow a single line from start to finish for whatever ending you got, and the plot progresses in a linear fashion.

Non-linear games allow you to take on things in just about whatever order you choose, ignore elements, do extras, etc.

My question is why are you trying to prove it's *not* linear, as though linearity is a bad thing. It's a more story-driven game, and linearity suits it in order to tell a story. Linearity isn't *always* bad, and every single game doesn't have to be open world.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#4NingishzidaPosted 3/6/2014 11:15:56 PM
open world doesn't preclude linearity, Oblivion is open world but linear as ****.

As for LA Noire, I wouldn't know as I don't play trash. Even South Park criticized it, so it must be total ****.
#5revolverPosted 3/7/2014 7:37:13 AM
Ningishzida posted...
open world doesn't preclude linearity, Oblivion is open world but linear as ****.

As for LA Noire, I wouldn't know as I don't play trash. Even South Park criticized it, so it must be total ****.

I hope you meet a nice girl one day who cheers you up a bit.
---
2500K @ 4.5 | GTX 670 | 8 GB | TX 650 | 128 GB ssd | CM 690 II
#6staticxtreme5Posted 3/7/2014 7:46:24 AM
I enjoyed it, but I used a guide to find the clues and answers to the interrogations as I went. I had tried to play it previously and hated it because it was damn near impossible to read peoples faces and the way evidence and clues connected didn't always make sense to me. It was pretty linear though, you just went from one crime to the next without really anything else of consequence to do. It had its faults, but I give it credit for trying new things and I would be open to a sequel if they could iron out some of its issues.
#7wildog2006Posted 3/7/2014 7:50:52 AM
ravenom_06 posted...
there are different outcomes, but it doesn't mess with the story

That's like the definition of a linear game.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#8DarkshowersPosted 3/7/2014 7:53:49 AM
TC, perhaps an example of a non linear game would help you understand.

Take The Darkness for example.

It's a game where you have the main story and objectives related to it but you also have an entire city to explore using the subway system. You have side quests you can choose to take on or not. There also a bunch of nice little things like you can prank call people by dialing random numbers or watch TV where they have tons of footage of old TV shows recorded and an entire movie.

LA Noire you just have the main cases to finish and that's it.
#9Myself9Posted 3/7/2014 9:22:10 AM
It's very linear.

Start game > play for a half hour > get bored > exit game.

Happens EVERY time.
---
I drink YOUR milkshake
VirtualHillClimb.com
#10mafiafunPosted 3/7/2014 9:36:56 AM
wildog2006 posted...
ravenom_06 posted...
there are different outcomes, but it doesn't mess with the story

That's like the definition of a linear game.

Just like how the Walking Dead is a linear game then.
---
"Space: the final frontier... To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."