This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Installing Ubuntu on my laptop.

#1-5xad0w-Posted 3/6/2014 11:30:44 PM
Was just going to downgrade Win 8 to Win 7 but figured I'd give Linux a try. (i actually like Win 8 on my gaming rig/desktop, but think it's horrid with a track-pad/non-touch screen laptop)

Anything I should check out? Not sure I'll be keeping Ubuntu, but I don't really use my laptop for anything major outside of web browsing and light gaming so if it clicks with me I might not bother going back to Win 7.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#2DoramiPosted 3/6/2014 11:33:31 PM
You should consider Mint because it installs the proprietary stuff that you'd want to have for general everyday use that Ubuntu does not.
---
3DS FC: 1246-9917-4900 | Pokemon X: IGN: Jing | Safari: Ground: Phanpy, Camerupt, Diggersby
NNID: StareRoe | PSN: Raftina
#3-5xad0w-(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2014 11:36:15 PM
Well, Ubuntu is in the downloading phase of installing as I type, but I'll look into Mint a bit.

Might try it out after giving Ubuntu a spin.
---
#4-5xad0w-(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 7:38:00 AM
Well, it took a day, but I got Mint installed on my UEFI laptop. All the guides I've seen (for both Ubuntu and Mint) for installing Linux on my particular laptop were wrong. (in the case of Ubuntu though this is because the latest release seems to support UEFI natively thus not needing any real tweaks)

Took a good bit of trial and error with the BIOS to get either to boot into a live environment I could install from. Mint requiring much more effort.

I actually liked Ubuntu's (admittedly different for the sake of being different) interface but ran into a semi-common error where my trackpad will not work. The stop gap solutions I found also did not fix it.

Now I'm on Mint 16 and finding it familiar enough to make me go "Oh, I know this" but different enough to confound my attempts at simple actions. (like adding a trash can icon to the desktop)

Speed wise it does seem noticeably snappier than Ubuntu but i'm not 100% sure I ever had a good video driver up and running while I was testing Ubuntu.

About to DL Steam and try out some of the 80 or so games I have that feature native Linux support.
---