This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just bought the new X series M50s by Audio Technica

#1DARQ MXPosted 3/7/2014 12:43:35 AM
Must say, it is cool that they came out with a detactable cable by what it seems by customer request. Not a lot of companies do that sorta thing, but they were probably tired of seeing all the knockoffs on amazo that people drilled out and sold as "brand new" M50s.

I will give my review on them later, my only grips so far. The cords are a little short but they came with all 3, coiled and regular and I thought that was awesome.

And they aren't loud in my sound card which I need to figure out why, but SUPER loud and very powerful in my ipod? lol How the?
---
Intel i5 2500k|8GB G.Skill RJaws|VelociRaptor, WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme4 G3|Sapphire 2GB 6970 OC'd |Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R, K90, M95|ASUS Designo IPS
#2Flaktrooper123Posted 3/7/2014 1:11:31 AM
Probably because your soundcard or whatever on board sound don't have headphone amp on it? The M50 is not a self powered model. Unless you are talking about another kind of M50 (Swans M50W) which is not a headset at all.

The ipod is powerful enough to drive even some passive speakers with no trouble at all, while as a comparison, a 3DS headphone plug has a little trouble to power up even active speakers.
#3DARQ MX(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 8:43:36 AM
They should be just the normal, M50s my ipod powers them amazing. Makes no sense. The dude at sound lion said they have mini pre amps in them lol I was like really? haha

anyway. I guess I have to plug it into my receiver oh well. I was hoping for an easier way
---
Intel i5 2500k|8GB G.Skill RJaws|VelociRaptor, WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme4 G3|Sapphire 2GB 6970 OC'd |Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R, K90, M95|ASUS Designo IPS
#4ClouddxPosted 3/7/2014 8:47:34 AM(edited)
DARQ MX posted...
They should be just the normal, M50s my ipod powers them amazing. Makes no sense. The dude at sound lion said they have mini pre amps in them lol I was like really? haha

anyway. I guess I have to plug it into my receiver oh well. I was hoping for an easier way

Get a real external DAC >_>

Also, enjoy. I love my pair for listening to music/games/movies. As long as I'm not playing an FPS game competitively the M50s are amazing.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#5DARQ MX(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 9:09:34 AM
I am really loving them. The lows, the mids and the treble sounds pretty damn good. Only thing so far, is the full range of sound feels a little bit off, but its probably a setting. I need to find a better place for it, they are monitor style so I understand they are supposed to have a flatter curve, so that could be the reason. I honestly am trying to get them a little bit brighter but not sure if I can, but I am loving the mixture of good bass, without being over powering, it sounds thunderess more than just fake bass like Dre beats can produce. Or sealed bass like those plug headphones do.

I love the cable detachment. I am hoping I can buy longer ones in the future or just a longer one to watch TV in bed haha

My ears get warm kinda quick but that is a dumb thing to say on any headphone to be honest, my ears always get warm on anything. lol

The quality is phenomenal. It blows my mind that your typical retail stores don't sell these and I think it is because they don't get a great cut, Dre beats or Sol Republics are sold to bestbuys for wayyy less than retail. My friend got his sol's which are very mediocre headphones btw, for $130 with his bb discount and they are $200 normal price, so that makes you think... bb picks them up for probably $50-100 bucks
---
#6ClouddxPosted 3/7/2014 9:15:00 AM
BTW if they're clamping down to much you can always stretch them out. The headband is very flexible, so you can get them pretty loose.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#7DARQ MX(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 5:34:57 PM
awesome thanks for the tip. I love that they are metal bands.
---
#8DARQ MX(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 5:28:39 AM
external dac like a Tube headphone amp? Those are stupid expensive.
---
#9Flaktrooper123Posted 3/8/2014 6:10:15 AM
Don't need expensive one. All you need is just something to power your headphones. It make sense with the ipod just like I said earlier, just because the ipod's internal amp and audio chip is very powerful.
#10DARQ MX(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 6:22:47 AM
Flaktrooper123 posted...
Don't need expensive one. All you need is just something to power your headphones. It make sense with the ipod just like I said earlier, just because the ipod's internal amp and audio chip is very powerful.

ah, okay, Well I do have a reciever but its a pain to always connect to that everytime. I am looking at the reviews of the normal headphone amps and the reviews said they suck and act more as a volume control than actually ampifly the sound. What the hell. lol.

Do I really have to buy an expensive DAC to use my headphones for gaming? Are these just too hard for my soundcard to push? lol The sensitivity is very good, so they are not inconsistent speakers at all, so the ohm load should stay constant. Only thing I can think of is the drivers require much more power or the impedance on these is higher than 8ohm.
---