This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DX12 coming to xbox one (as well as pc)

#21PraetorXynPosted 3/7/2014 10:46:17 PM
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Who cares about directx? opengl is just as good, and doesn't require you to buy a whole new OS just because MS says you have to.

You know, you hear this a lot and yet only the indie scene is a staunch supporter of OpenGL, probably because of the overlap with mobile gaming, for which DX isn't an option.

Professional studios, from small to large, primarily use DX and even if they do support OpenGL it's usually an afterthought. There are only a handful of exceptions like id.

That doesn't mean OpenGL is inferior. It may very well be but all that tells you is that DirectX is more popular.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#22Bazooka_PenguinPosted 3/7/2014 10:57:54 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Who cares about directx? opengl is just as good, and doesn't require you to buy a whole new OS just because MS says you have to.

You know, you hear this a lot and yet only the indie scene is a staunch supporter of OpenGL, probably because of the overlap with mobile gaming, for which DX isn't an option.

Professional studios, from small to large, primarily use DX and even if they do support OpenGL it's usually an afterthought. There are only a handful of exceptions like id.

That doesn't mean OpenGL is inferior. It may very well be but all that tells you is that DirectX is more popular.

It tells us that Direct3D is more popular specifically for more complex rendering engines. Considering openGL has the advantage of being compatible with several more platforms than DX I doubt it's simply a matter of DX being advocated by Microsoft.

There is also the matter of DirectX being a collection of APIs that are useful for a variety of purposes.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#23snkboi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 11:33:56 PM
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
Wait, do the new consoles not have a GPU?

no
---
i think it's nice
#24darkstar4221Posted 3/8/2014 2:40:38 AM(edited)
It tells us that Direct3D is more popular specifically for more complex rendering engines. Considering openGL has the advantage of being compatible with several more platforms than DX I doubt it's simply a matter of DX being advocated by Microsoft.

There is also the matter of DirectX being a collection of APIs that are useful for a variety of purposes.

No it's a matter of windows being the most widely used os in the world and dx being exclusive to windows. This is called "networks effects". The market-share of windows has a lot to do with developers preferring dx over OpenGL. Also I'm pretty sure MS has licensing agreements with developers to make sure they use dx.

Microsoft could have just improved on OpenGL (an open standard API) and not bother creating dx in the first place, or at least make dx open source. But since source code is protected by intellectual property laws MS can get away with making dx exclusive to windows. Without ip laws there would be an incentive for Microsoft to adapt to open standards (like OpenGL) instead of keeping all their information (code) to themselves.
#25godplaysSNESPosted 3/8/2014 6:47:44 AM(edited)
Shebeskii posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
APUs are inherently more efficient with GPGPU tasks.

But the PC's main problem is its APIs. An APU can be used optimally in a console, whereas it's currently treated like a normal CPU + GPU combo on the PC.

Not sure if you noticed, but the PS4's APU isn't going to outperform a mid-high range PC at anything, ever.

It'll get some headroom over its PC equivalents eventually if the engines start taking advantage of the APU setup's advantages. The games now are just DX11 ports.

But the PS4's and Xbox One's focus on non-gaming features also affect them more negatively than consoles in the past. Especially the Xbox One has a bigger OS overhead, and both consoles are supposedly leaving only 5-6GB for gaming, and only six cores for gaming
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#26TeenmanPosted 3/8/2014 6:55:21 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
Shebeskii posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

But the PC's main problem is its APIs. An APU can be used optimally in a console, whereas it's currently treated like a normal CPU + GPU combo on the PC.

Not sure if you noticed, but the PS4's APU isn't going to outperform a mid-high range PC at anything, ever.

It'll get some headroom over its PC equivalents eventually if the engines start taking advantage of the APU setup's advantages. The games now are just DX11 ports.

But the PS4's and Xbox One's focus on non-gaming features also affect them more negatively than consoles in the past. Especially the Xbox One has a bigger OS overhead, and both consoles are supposedly leaving only 5-6GB for gaming, and only six cores for gaming

No offense, but this sounds like you are just repeating what others have said. Just because someone says something, does not make it true.

Please, do the research yourself. This is almost as bad as the 3DS is stronger than the Gamecube BS or the DS is stronger than the n64. My point being console boards sprout BS, largely due to the "I want my console to be better than yours" syndrome.
---
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do...." (Stephen F. Roberts)
#27godplaysSNESPosted 3/8/2014 7:10:57 AM
Teenman posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
Shebeskii posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

No offense, but this sounds like you are just repeating what others have said. Just because someone says something, does not make it true.

Please, do the research yourself. This is almost as bad as the 3DS is stronger than the Gamecube BS or the DS is stronger than the n64. My point being console boards sprout BS, largely due to the "I want my console to be better than yours" syndrome.

Pot calling the kettle black...

As for your 3DS example, new hardware, more often than not, do have certain advantages over older hardware. Distinguish between features and horsepower.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#28DieForMotherLandPosted 3/8/2014 7:19:12 AM
Open GL will still be superior, and is the best to use if you want to support Max, Linux, WIndows XP, etc.
---
Deu > Colm > Volke > Rivis > Patty > Parn > Rennac > Lara
#29Lonestar2000Posted 3/8/2014 8:38:08 AM
Why do people still respond to the garbage the TC spews?
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#30TeenmanPosted 3/8/2014 9:26:54 AM
godplaysSNES posted...

Pot calling the kettle black...

As for your 3DS example, new hardware, more often than not, do have certain advantages over older hardware. Distinguish between features and horsepower.

The potato is a starchy, tuberous crop from the perennial nightshade Solanum tuberosum L. The word "potato" may refer to the plant itself in addition to the edible tuber. In the Andes, where the species is indigenous, there are some other closely related cultivated potato species. Potatoes were introduced outside the Andes region four centuries ago,[1] and have become an integral part of much of the world's food supply. It is the world's fourth-largest food crop, following maize, wheat and rice.[2]

Wild potato species occur throughout the Americas, from the United States to southern Chile.[3] The potato was originally believed to have been domesticated independently in multiple locations,[4] but later genetic testing of the wide variety of cultivars and wild species proved a single origin for potatoes in the area of present-day southern Peru and extreme northwestern Bolivia (from a species in the Solanum brevicaule complex), where they were domesticated 7,000–10,000 years ago.[5][6][7] Following centuries of selective breeding, there are now over a thousand different types of potatoes.[6] A subspecies that at one point grew in the Chiloé Archipelago, Southern Chile left its germplasm on over 99% of the cultivated potatoes worldwide.[8][9]

The annual diet of an average person in the first decade of the 21st century included about 33 kg (73 lb) of potato.[2] However, the local importance of potato is extremely variable and rapidly changing. It remains an essential crop in Europe (especially eastern and central Europe), where per capita production is still the highest in the world, but the most rapid expansion over the past few decades has occurred in southern and eastern Asia. China is now the world's largest potato-producing country, and nearly a third of the world's potatoes are harvested in China and India.[10]
---
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do...." (Stephen F. Roberts)