This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do i get windows 7 or 8.1 - 32bit or 64bit?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do i get windows 7 or 8.1 - 32bit or 64bit?
2 years ago#1
So i want to do a fresh install on new hard drive cause my old comp is getting real slow.

I already bought the new 1TB drive. So whats left is which OS i should get?

The hardware in the case is,

Dell xps 420 mobo
Core 2Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
3GB ram
Sapphire HD7750

The Microsoft requirements say minimum 2gb for 64bit but i googled and ppl are saying only get 64bit of you have 4gb+. Does that mean I should get windows 7 or 8.1 at 32bit?
GG Riot
2 years ago#2
Just get 64bit and Windows 8. If you hate Metro you can install a start menu and get the same but still superior experience to Windows 7.
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
2 years ago#3
There's only a handful of reasons to run 32 bit OSes and if you had one of those reasons you'd likely already know that you needed a 32 bit OS. Those reasons are a piece of legacy software that you have to have only working in 32 bit, a professional application (a lot of software companies will only help you troubleshoot their software if you're using windows xp/7 32 bit professional), or only having a 32 bit processor. Situations 1 and 3 are pretty rare though and none of the three sound like your situation.

As for which OS to use, if you already have 7 I'd stick with it. If you're paying for one or the other already I'd go with 8.1.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
2 years ago#4
Make sure you can find 64 bit drivers first. If you can, no reason to bother with 32 bit.
i5 2500k at 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 670 - MSI Z68A-GD80 - Seasonic X 750W - GSkill 16GB - Crucial m4 128GB - NZXT Beta EVO
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do i get windows 7 or 8.1 - 32bit or 64bit?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived