This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've been gaming for a loooong time, and I feel I can safely say that

#11noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 11:17:20 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#12NingishzidaPosted 3/7/2014 11:22:53 PM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
killkount posted...
my grandpappy died playin gamez, those darn games.

This is like going to a depression forum and saying "My grandpappy committed suicide due to his disease, those darn mental illnesses". This is serious. I actually had an uncle who pretty much got addicted to Diablo 2 when it was new, became distant from the family and everything, ended up causing a *lot* of marital issues as well.

Replace "Diablo 2" with alcohol or any chemical dependence, and you've got an all too familiar story. So we can joke, because they're games and we all just want to have our fun, but they absolutely ruin some people. And if we laugh it off because hey, it's just games, and some people can take anything too far, then we might as well take every controlled substance off the list and let corporations market them to the general public without regard for moral standards, because if people can't help themselves, why should we be their watchdog?

"Crack cocaine: Rated "K-A" for 'Noone gives a ****, we can't believe we can finally do this!'"

Funny thing is, for many people the compulsion to play Diablo 2 overrides their compulsion to drink and smoke. They literally don't feel the need to drink or smoke while playing.

Now what's worse, alcoholism/binge drinking and chain smoking or playing Diablo 2?

Your uncle is just a sad case, D2 didn't make him sick, his life must have been awful from his PoV that he would rather play a game than spend time with his family.

Your uncle might be dead if he went to alcohol/smoking for the same amount of time he played D2.
#13noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 11:31:06 PM
#14killkountPosted 3/7/2014 11:30:23 PM
I'd hate to see those awful vidya game withdraws, imagine the all the suffering they'd go through!
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#15noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 11:37:47 PM
#16NingishzidaPosted 3/7/2014 11:42:57 PM(edited)
Well, it seems you don't know how destructive drugs can be if you compare Diablo 2 to them, that is laughable.

You can kill yourself by taking a single quantity of certain drugs, and drinking and smoking for nine hours a day will bring you to a rather abrupt end.

Basically, its not as bad as you make it out to be, you're just in the unfortunate position that someone close to you had serious issues. The rest of us don't need to be regulated on timers just because of a few unfortunates. Same with smoking and drinking.
#17Blobs_Posted 3/7/2014 11:45:16 PM
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR

whoops wrong thred
---
is haha
#18noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 11:49:36 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Well, it seems you don't know how destructive drugs can be if you compare Diablo 2 to them, that is laughable.

You can kill yourself by taking a single quantity of certain drugs, and drinking and smoking for nine hours a day will bring you to a rather abrupt end.

Basically, its not as bad as you make it out to be, you're just in the unfortunate position that someone close to you had serious issues. The rest of us don't need to be regulated on timers just because of a few unfortunates. Same with smoking and drinking.

I'm not saying this to be difficult, but when I was in university, I also had a friend that got derailed by meth. But since I didn't get derailed by it, by your logic, that means meth isn't a problem. Just because that one guy couldn't keep himself under control once he tasted it, doesn't mean everyone else is going to have the same reaction. Might as well legalize it then.

Blobs_ posted...
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR

whoops wrong thred

I would if I could, though, which is why piracy is theft.
---
How good doesn't character have to be...to be good?? - League_of_Noobs
#19LordOfLegaciesPosted 3/7/2014 11:54:54 PM
There is no addiction that cannot be overcome by willpower. Addicts deserve no sympathy, they deserve a kick in their asses.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
Yep, sure f***ing showed me.
#20mikewu1Posted 3/8/2014 12:04:08 AM
This guy is speaking the truth. Gamers in denial