This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've been gaming for a loooong time, and I feel I can safely say that

#101noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 11:24:31 AM(edited)
Spawn_LOLs posted...
"I don't become an alcoholic when I drink, so alcoholism doesn't exist."

Alcoholism does exist. You can indeed have a chemical dependency of alcohol, though most people dont, do your google research.

You cherrypicked a response and took it out of context. I'm not saying alcoholism doesn't exist. He said he doesn't get withdrawal symptoms from stopping video games like he does from fighting his alcoholism, implying that because of that video game addiction couldn't exist. I laid out his line of thinking with the response, "I don't get addicted to alcohol, so alcoholism doesn't exist" to show the flaw with that reasoning.
---
How good doesn't character have to be...to be good?? - League_of_Noobs
#1028waystomondayPosted 3/8/2014 11:21:14 AM
My gaming habit helped me quit smoking and has helped for the past 4 years since i quit.
---
XBL- EightWays86
#103ClouddxPosted 3/8/2014 11:26:23 AM
This s*** is hilarious, to 500 people!
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#104solaurus12Posted 3/8/2014 11:29:20 AM
God OP is stupid.
---
#105noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 11:36:11 AM(edited)
8waystomonday posted...
My gaming habit helped me quit smoking and has helped for the past 4 years since i quit.

I wouldn't call that progress... unless people would consider going from being an alcoholic to a chain smoker a similar success story. It's really just replacing one unhealthy habit with another.

solaurus12 posted...
God OP is stupid.

That's a pretty poor argument.
---
How good doesn't character have to be...to be good?? - League_of_Noobs
#106o0stoneduk0oPosted 3/8/2014 11:41:15 AM
This topic is stupid.
---
I don't smoke dope, I don't drink bourbon, all I want to do is shake my turban.
#107dormcastePosted 3/8/2014 12:16:47 PM(edited)
Yes, video games are addictive. Agreed.

mikewu1 posted...
This guy is speaking the truth. Gamers in denial

Agreed. You guys are dumb. If you think you can't get addicted to video games and shut out everything else in your life as a result, you're just letting your love of games blind you. It happened to a good friend of mine. He's a social hermit now and I haven't seen him in years because of it.

Building off that, I was addicted to WoW for 3 years. Didn't do anything with myself but play the hell out of that game with other addicts. I don't care if you think it's preposterous or not; you're blatantly wrong because it did happen and it did have real consequences. I have an addictive personality. I have tried smoking, I loved it, but I decided I wouldn't do it again because I didn't want to get addicted to it. I like gambling, I like drinking, and I love smoking weed when I can. I'd never try hard drugs because I am certain I would absolutely love them.

You people need to get educated about how addiction begins mentally and then goes to physical. I've known heroin addicts, I've known meth addicts, alcoholics, people that died from smoking too much... they didn't start because they didn't have willpower, they started because their lives f****** sucked and these things brought them joy, happiness, or peace when nothing else could. Take your self-righteous attitudes somewhere else and try living in someone else's shoes. You don't know what it's like to be anyone other than yourself.
#108TheSeviperPosted 3/8/2014 12:32:05 PM
NINFanboy posted...
Costumer: Give me another game.

Employee: Uhm... that would be the third in a row. Didn't you have enough yet?

Costumer: Just shut up and give me the damn game already.

Employee: All right, all right, I'm sorry. What's it gonna be then?

Costumer: Let's see what you've got. Hmmm... hey, what's that in the back? Dark Souls! Gimme that one!!

Employee: Oh, are you sure you want that one? That's the hard stuff.

I don't know why, but i found this really funny.
---
---
Ever since I started playing dark souls I'm a Christian no longer. I Praise the Sun, so watch out Christians -Miyasakiii
#109Spawn_LOLsPosted 3/8/2014 12:46:48 PM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
Spawn_LOLs posted...
"I don't become an alcoholic when I drink, so alcoholism doesn't exist."

Alcoholism does exist. You can indeed have a chemical dependency of alcohol, though most people dont, do your google research.

You cherrypicked a response and took it out of context. I'm not saying alcoholism doesn't exist. He said he doesn't get withdrawal symptoms from stopping video games like he does from fighting his alcoholism, implying that because of that video game addiction couldn't exist. I laid out his line of thinking with the response, "I don't get addicted to alcohol, so alcoholism doesn't exist" to show the flaw with that reasoning.

Oh i didnt understand what you were saying then. My bad.
#110mccue166Posted 3/8/2014 12:51:13 PM
As someone that has gone through an opiate addiction, I can kind of see where OP is coming from, but gaming addiction is nowhere near as bad. You don't stop gaming after a 2 day binge and want to throw up, crap your pants and piss yourself all at the same time that you're feeling hot and cold and shivering trying to kick.
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2JtcQ