This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've been gaming for a loooong time, and I feel I can safely say that

#111gecko_man2Posted 3/8/2014 11:58:23 AM
8/10 Pretty damn good
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqegv4qoEdo - I love this woman.
#112KURRUPTORPosted 3/8/2014 11:58:44 AM
Well the fact is that you can definitely get addicted to gaming, its impossible to argue against that. The problem is that people can be addicted to literally anything, so why would you single out gaming.

I actually had an uncle that was addicted to working on cars, he spent nearly all his free time and basically all the money he made to buy old cars that didn't work then getting the parts and fixing them up.

Hell I recently heard a man say he was addicted to arm wrestling and that he had lost his wife over it.

So I don't see why gaming would deserve any more comparison to drugs than anything else in life, some people just have addictive personalities, and WILL find something to get addicted to. The smart ones (maybe lucky ones) will have that addiction be something constructive, like my uncle who was finally convinced to start selling the cars and making profit... But that doesn't change the fact that he did indeed have an addiction.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#113Chosen_one_41Posted 3/8/2014 12:12:44 PM
If it wasn't for the fact that over 99% of gamers are not addicted to gaming then maybe you would have a point. But that is just not the case and it is a very very small group of people who get addicted. There is probably a type of mental disease out there that makes you very susceptible to getting addicted to anything. I know plenty of young people who are addicted to smoking and half will probably smoke themselves into an early grave much like my grandparents. I knew one guy that seemed addicted to video games and he cut back as soon as he got into college so he had time for homework.

The only numbers I have to go on for this is news storys. I hear about people dying from smoking and alcohol a lot, illegal substances kill quite a people as well. I think I've heard all of one story where a guy played WoW for 3 entire days straight and died from physical exhaustion or something. Obviously that person had some personal problems but this is not a universal thing.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/chosen_one_41
I'm a gamer, I care about games. I really don't care which platform it's on.
#114Cactuar512Posted 3/8/2014 12:22:45 PM
I can safely say that you're wrong. Why don't we just regulate all forms of media like they are drugs? They're all addictive to some degree. Think before you post next time, because you are ridiculous.
---
Fallout 2>NV>1>3>Every other Fallout game. Don't agree? I don't care.
GameFAQs, where everyone trolls everyone
#115DARKlegend64Posted 3/8/2014 12:24:09 PM
https://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/10/30/south-korea-wants-to-regulate-online-gaming-like-drugs-and-alcohol/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_addiction

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/358603/man-dies-after-playing-diablo-iii-for-40-hours/

I'm taking no stand and I'll let both sides of the spectrum decide how to use these sources.

Also, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/66282298 (an example of constant reminder shows after playing for about 30 mins to an hour during loading screens or finishing a level and the reactions of actual people towards it)
---
3DS FC: 1032-1661-7500 // IGN: Phoenix // Shiny Value: 4095
http://i.imgur.com/LASYC2c.gif
#116slitherysobPosted 3/8/2014 12:32:36 PM
This is the same kind of argument as saying spoons make people fat. Overindulgence makes people fat. Overindulgence of anything is unhealthy. Whether it be games, junk foods or liquor. The trick is indulge enough to keep you satisfied without dulling your senses. As a kid/teen, I overindulged on games. My grades suffered because of it. I smartened up. Most people are smart enough to know not to overindulge on games. After all, without their damn job, how they gonna get more games? Your comparison is poor.
#117Cactuar512Posted 3/8/2014 12:48:56 PM
slitherysob posted...
This is the same kind of argument as saying spoons make people fat. Overindulgence makes people fat. Overindulgence of anything is unhealthy. Whether it be games, junk foods or liquor. The trick is indulge enough to keep you satisfied without dulling your senses. As a kid/teen, I overindulged on games. My grades suffered because of it. I smartened up. Most people are smart enough to know not to overindulge on games. After all, without their damn job, how they gonna get more games? Your comparison is poor.

This. The important thing is to remember your priorities and get those sorted out before recreation.
---
Fallout 2>NV>1>3>Every other Fallout game. Don't agree? I don't care.
GameFAQs, where everyone trolls everyone
#118imhomelessPosted 3/8/2014 12:56:00 PM
mccue166 posted...
As someone that has gone through an opiate addiction, I can kind of see where OP is coming from, but gaming addiction is nowhere near as bad. You don't stop gaming after a 2 day binge and want to throw up, crap your pants and piss yourself all at the same time that you're feeling hot and cold and shivering trying to kick.

No, but a two day gaming binge has a high chance of killing you, and even if you survive, you're definitely going to feel like complete **** for a while afterwards, and have set yourself up for problems down the road. Just because it isn't an ingested chemical doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect, this is an assumption a lot of people continually make...

Chosen_one_41 posted...
If it wasn't for the fact that over 99% of gamers are not addicted to gaming then maybe you would have a point. But that is just not the case and it is a very very small group of people who get addicted.

First of all that's guaranteed to be a made up statistic, but for consistencies sake I'll run with it. If over 99% of gamers are not addicted makes it not a problem, then over 99% of drinkers not being alcoholics/over 99% of recreational drug users not being addicts/over 99% of smokers not being chain smokers means those aren't problems, either.

But they're treated as such, so I've ignored the rest of that paragraph, because it loses steam before it even gets going.

Chosen_one_41 posted...
The only numbers I have to go on for this is news storys.

And this is the main reason it isn't viewed as of big a problem as it is. Drugs and alcohol can create immediate problems, and it's easy to measure whether or not they were a factor. With video games, if it doesn't do noticeable damage instantly, the person can still develop health problems later on, but you can't measure the blood stream for how much "video game" is present and contributing to the issue. It's like if you get into a car crash and hit your head on the wheel, but walk away, all tests show you're fine, but end up developing early onset alzheimers. By that point, there are 10 years of additional reasons that can potentially be a contributing factor, as well as whatever happened before the car accident. This is the same reason video games can fly under the radar with the issues they cause - you can't measure it, unless it's literally "I was playing a game and ignored my baby til it starved to death", "Person played League of Legends for x hours straight in a cafe and collapsed."

You can absolutely develop circulation issues and various RSI injuries from gaming, as well as whatever social and emotional development it can stunt, it just isn't immediately measurable. Which, to me, actually makes it more dangerous than drugs, because blame can be so easily shifted to other things.

Cactuar512 posted...
I can safely say that you're wrong. Why don't we just regulate all forms of media like they are drugs? They're all addictive to some degree. Think before you post next time, because you are ridiculous.

I've already commented on this, but not all forms of media are like video games. TV is more addictive than books because TV keeps feeding you with information and it doesn't stop. Books require more focus from the reader, so it's easier to notice fatigue and quit, but you can easily veg on the couch and continue watching TV when exhausted. Video games are television on crack, because it not only feeds a constant stream of information, you're also interacting, which takes everything to another level.

To the point that people *do* ignore their body's warnings, because the virtual world ends up taking precedent.
#119imhomelessPosted 3/8/2014 1:01:09 PM
slitherysob posted...

Without a job, people who overindulge on food wouldn't be able to overindulge on food.

Without a job, people who overindulge on drugs wouldn't be able to overindulge on drugs.

So there are two forms of rebuttal I'm finding in this topic:

1) Video games can't be addicting, and anyone who argues they are is an idiot.
2) Video games can be addicting, but no more or less addicting than other things that people get addicted to, so it's no big deal.

Also, people who get addicted to food have a mental illness. There's literally a bodily signal that their brain doesn't interpret, it's the one everyone else gets that tells them they're "full" and it's time to stop eating.

I don't think there's a point with video games where a person feels "full", they just feel mentally or physically fatigued, and depending upon how addicting the game is, they either continue playing, or say screw it and go to bed. Some games are designed to be more addicting than others, which is why I think we usually hear about MMO and RPG related tragedy, instead of people dying from playing too much Donkey Kong.

Which goes back to the point on levels of intentional addiction potential behind video game design, and certain games being gateway drugs to harder games.

In which sense, perhaps it's just the harder games that should be getting more negative attention, though in the gaming crowd, it already seems like most people warn others from MMOs and most F2P titles due to their intentionally exploitative nature.
#120imhomelessPosted 3/8/2014 1:06:23 PM
I also want to point out that the difference between an eating addiction and video game addiction is that most food is not designed to be addictive. Obviously if you eat a lot of refined products then arguments can be made otherwise, but people who gorge themselves on salad, puke their guts out, and gorge themselves on salad, have a legitimate health issue.

Video games, by nature, need to be addictive in order to keep people playing. You don't buy DLC if you don't keep playing a game, you don't buy a sequel if the last one didn't give you your money's worth. When it comes to video games, "fun" is literally how much of a positive false chemical reaction (we don't ingest anything, but the flashing lights/sounds/interaction gives us an experience as if we did) we get from the product. Which is what drugs are, manufactured pleasure.