This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've been gaming for a loooong time, and I feel I can safely say that

#121_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 3/8/2014 1:08:37 PM
obvious troll attempt
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#122imhomelessPosted 3/8/2014 1:15:17 PM
In that line, "false" chemical reaction should read "faux". I hate not having an edit feature on this account yet.

Also, there are definitely other things people can get addicted to in life, but that doesn't give video games a pass. If you're healthy and able, going for a run is more pleasurable than sitting around playing video games, because it's something our body is naturally meant to do. If you're healthy and able, sex is better than playing video games because it's something our body is naturally meant to do. In both cases, someone could go for a run, sense a heart attack, but run anyway and die of a heart attack, or initiate sex, and only want more to the point that it ruins their life, but since those are natural experiences that our bodies get for free (and while I realize noone really gets sex for "free", I mean as in it's something we're born with and our body responds to with ease), having any problem with function to either extreme is a sign of bad health. Because it means something isn't working.

If someone gets addicted to a video game, it means the developers did a good job. Someone putting their health or a dependent's health at risk due to a video game is high praise for whoever created that game. It means they managed to manufacture a pleasurable chemically induced experience that the user gets without actually putting anything into their body.

Which is great on one hand because it shows how far we've come with technology, that we can actually create chemical responses in people that they used to have to go out into the world and fight to get, but pretty bad for the same reason.
#123gecko_man2Posted 3/8/2014 1:33:58 PM
Nevermind 10/10. People are writing essays here so the troll dun good.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqegv4qoEdo - I love this woman.
#1248waystomondayPosted 3/8/2014 1:37:34 PM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
8waystomonday posted...
My gaming habit helped me quit smoking and has helped for the past 4 years since i quit.

I wouldn't call that progress... unless people would consider going from being an alcoholic to a chain smoker a similar success story. It's really just replacing one unhealthy habit with another.

solaurus12 posted...
God OP is stupid.

That's a pretty poor argument.

Um no its not, it helped keep my hands busy during the initual quiting phase and my mind off of cigs since. I work out, eat right and dont stay seated for more then 30 minutes, gaming is not at all the same as smoking or alchoholsism anyone who says it is hasnt been addicted to those. No one has ever said that video games are as addictive as herion like they do sigs or that it is a disease like alchoholsism
---
XBL- EightWays86
#125KillerTrufflePosted 3/8/2014 1:46:57 PM
I like how TC isolates gaming as an addictive behavior that "should be taxed and regulated," but not other addictive behaviors like overeating, anorexia, sex, work, social interaction... People can become addicted to an excessively unhealthy amount to ANY of these things, so based on TC's premise, they should all be subject to additional tax and regulation. You're only allowed to have sex once a week, and you have to pay the government $3 each time. The government should dictate exactly how many calories you're allowed to eat based on your age, height, etc., and every calorie you eat beyond your limit will cost you a penny.

Some topics are just stupid. This is one of them. Can gaming be addictive? Sure, just like ANYTHING can be. But that's as far as it goes. The rest of the TC's premise is just stupid.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#126imhomelessPosted 3/8/2014 1:59:36 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I like how TC isolates gaming as an addictive behavior that "should be taxed and regulated," but not other addictive behaviors like overeating, anorexia, sex, work, social interaction... People can become addicted to an excessively unhealthy amount to ANY of these things, so based on TC's premise, they should all be subject to additional tax and regulation. You're only allowed to have sex once a week, and you have to pay the government $3 each time. The government should dictate exactly how many calories you're allowed to eat based on your age, height, etc., and every calorie you eat beyond your limit will cost you a penny.

First of all, l'll re-state that I'm not saying games should be taxed and regulated - I've just found it interesting that they aren't being taxed or regulated, because they are an addicting product.

The problem with trying to tax something like anorexia is that it's a behavior. It isn't something that's sold on the market. The only way to "tax" it is to hope a person with anorexia comes to your health outlet and seek remedies for it.

The reason cigarettes can be taxed is because they're addictive and destructive and, since they need to be consumed to create and fuel an addiction, can be taxed. You don't consume anorexia (there's a joke in there somewhere, though), you either have it or you don't.

Video game addiction can't exist without video games. Hence, you can tax and regulate video games.

KillerTruffle posted...
Some topics are just stupid. This is one of them. Can gaming be addictive? Sure, just like ANYTHING can be. But that's as far as it goes.

It actually goes further, you just don't want to see it because gaming is your addiction, and you'd rather not admit to yourself how problematic it can be.

The "anything can be addictive so gaming being addictive is no big deal" has already been discussed numerous times here. I can have sex til my **** bleeds, but if I do I have a mental illness, because by its nature, "healthy sex" is, well, healthy. Healthy video game design is getting the player addicted, which is healthy for the creator (they get food on their table and more), but unhealthy for the consumer.

So there are differences between addictions, both in cause and effect. You can write it off as "stupid" to make yourself okay with your unhealthy outlet, but that doesn't make it any less dangerous than other products that have been proven to develop addictive patterns, and it doesn't prevent it from being more dangerous from outlets that can have the potential for addiction, with a far lower likelihood.

The real reason video game addiction is going to become a bigger issue is because they're cheaper and more accessible than other addictions, and these days they're also consumed by the masses. Put all that in a blender with the problems that video game addiction has been document to cause, and I guarantee video games are going to end up getting the social stigma cigarettes started to get once people found out they contributed to cancer. Up until then, it was just something people did, and it was socially acceptable. Then it grew, it got bigger, it got more attention, and bam, awareness everywhere.

I don't think it'll be long before video games get put on the same track.
#127imhomelessPosted 3/8/2014 2:01:52 PM
8waystomonday posted...
noimnoturdaddy posted...
8waystomonday posted...
My gaming habit helped me quit smoking and has helped for the past 4 years since i quit.

I wouldn't call that progress... unless people would consider going from being an alcoholic to a chain smoker a similar success story. It's really just replacing one unhealthy habit with another.

solaurus12 posted...
God OP is stupid.

Um no its not, it helped keep my hands busy during the initual quiting phase and my mind off of cigs since. I work out, eat right and dont stay seated for more then 30 minutes, gaming is not at all the same as smoking or alchoholsism anyone who says it is hasnt been addicted to those. No one has ever said that video games are as addictive as herion like they do sigs or that it is a disease like alchoholsism

All this really means is that your more prone to nicotine addiction than flashing lights and sound effects. You going from cigarettes to video games means someone else might be better off going from video games to cigarettes.
#128KillerTrufflePosted 3/8/2014 2:08:57 PM
Sorry, but no, I'm not addicted to gaming - I often go days in a row, or even a week or two at a time, without playing any games. I have a "normal" life and do other things besides gaming. It's a hobby, nothing more.

As for claiming that video games are addictive by design, sorry, but no - unless you view every single consumer product in existence as "addictive by design." Yes, things are made to be sold - including games - but they're not "addictive by design" any more than frisbees, bicycles, kites, cars, or anything else.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#129DukeCoudrayPosted 3/8/2014 2:09:26 PM
They always told me Nintendo was a gateway drug, but i never listened.

Look at me now, i have a hole the size of a quarter in my throat, My hairpiece is on its display, and I need help to go to the bathroom.

-TruthOrDie
---
I wish i could block the voices in my head for just five minutes.That scream over and over.Why do they come to me to die?Why do they come to me to die?-Al Bundy
#1308waystomondayPosted 3/8/2014 2:14:36 PM
imhomeless posted...
8waystomonday posted...
noimnoturdaddy posted...
8waystomonday posted...

solaurus12 posted...
God OP is stupid.

All this really means is that your more prone to nicotine addiction than flashing lights and sound effects. You going from cigarettes to video games means someone else might be better off going from video games to cigarettes.

Doesnt mean that at all, addiction runs in my family, i come from aong line of addicts of one substance or another. There is a clear difference in a additive substance and entertainment. I didnt go from cigs to video games since i have always been a gamer. I just used video games as a way to help me quit just like some people use straws or toothpicks.
---
XBL- EightWays86