This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've been gaming for a loooong time, and I feel I can safely say that

#21noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 12:09:16 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
There is no addiction that cannot be overcome by willpower. Addicts deserve no sympathy, they deserve a kick in their asses.

If that were the case, most people wouldn't die from addiction, since most people who die from addiction start off having other people ride their ass about it, then they end up abandoning people to spend more time with their addiction. So it's not that they deserve no sympathy, it's that the sympathy/help is wasted, since it's wasted energy. The addict that can cure is not really an addict, and the addicts that derail into non-stop failure and ruin their lives can't do anything with help, because the capacity for positive change isn't within them.

Topic wasn't really about taking a moral stance, it's more about knowing that video game addiction is a real thing, and as damaging as anything else that's regulated/taxed. I really wouldn't be surprised if we eventually saw a special tax added to video games as well...
---
How good doesn't character have to be...to be good?? - League_of_Noobs
#22noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 12:11:46 AM
mikewu1 posted...
This guy is speaking the truth. Gamers in denial

Can never tell if sarcasm or flame-bait here, but games like Farmville aren't successful because they're quality titles... they're tailored specifically to exploit a specific demographic, without having any redeeming game-qualities at all. AAA titles can cover up things like that better than a Facebook game, but it's still just covering it up.
---
#23MyDogSkipPosted 3/8/2014 12:14:29 AM
Anything can be addictive to someone. Video game addiction is real, but playing a video game doesn't innately physically harm you the way that cigarettes, alcohol, and some other addictive substances do. The difference is that you need a psychological predisposition to be addicted to video games. It doesn't form a physical dependence within you. Something like nicotine can and will get anyone addicted, and that's why it's much more dangerous.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#24noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 12:14:53 AM
I should've added gambling addiction as one of the similarities, as that's even closer to the experience video games are simulating. No chemicals ingested, still high level of addiction and poor decision making potential.
---
#25noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 12:17:18 AM
MyDogSkip posted...
Anything can be addictive to someone. Video game addiction is real, but playing a video game doesn't innately physically harm you the way that cigarettes, alcohol, and some other addictive substances do. The difference is that you need a psychological predisposition to be addicted to video games. It doesn't form a physical dependence within you. Something like nicotine can and will get anyone addicted, and that's why it's much more dangerous.

See, I argue against that, because I tried smoking once, I didn't like it, and I've never had the urge to again. Which means that if nicotine gets *everyone* addicted, then somehow, I'm an exception.

Which I'm not, there are plenty of people who had that same behavior (tried once and never did it again), which is the same thing with video games. Some people just don't like them. Some people play (smoke) in moderation. Other people have it as a daily activity.

You're right that it has a lot to do with pre-dispositions, but that doesn't mean it's "harmless" because some people can play (smoke) in moderation, instead of going for hours on end and developing blood clots in their legs, postural problems, RSI... gaming has as many health issues as those other addictions, they just look different. Doesn't mean it's less nasty.
---
#26DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/8/2014 12:20:21 AM
The leading cause of death is being alive.
Oxygen is the most addictive substance in the world, followed by Dihydrogen Monoxide.
We should regulate hands, as they're a deadly weapon.

Videogames are not addictive.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#27noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 12:24:00 AM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
The leading cause of death is being alive.
Oxygen is the most addictive substance in the world, followed by Dihydrogen Monoxide.
We should regulate hands, as they're a deadly weapon.

Videogames are not addictive.

I've heard plenty of alcoholics argue this exact same thing. "Life is addiction, everyone needs oxygen, if you stop breathing you die, so I don't need to stop drinking."

Btw, they do regulate hands when they're used as a deadly weapon... it's called "assault", and can even go so far as "murder".
---
#28noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 12:27:40 AM(edited)
I started this topic as an amusing observation, and it's actually become amusing how far some people are grasping to defend what's most definitely an addicting habit.

Not that I expect much, it's like walking into a bar and telling everyone it's bad to drink... it's just funny to see how far *some* people go to rationalize why their outlet isn't as bad as someone else's. Even though they end up sounding just as reliant and defensive in the process.
---
#29noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 12:33:14 AM(edited)
PS: I'm a gamer, and though I work out 3 - 4 times a week, I wouldn't be surprised if I died of a heart attack from a blocked artery because I have a hobby where I click myself into certain RSI while sitting in one position and get adrenaline rushes etc. in my body without having the benefit of movement to move that chemical around, and release the muscular tension.

Just saying, so I don't get labeled as being biased or trying to act as a "high and mighty" gamer. It's funny, because even smokers know that they're setting themselves up for some **** down the road, gamers are commonly "LEAVE US ALONE NOTHING IS WRONG THIS IS COMPLETELY INNOCENT".
---
#30TiamatKillerPosted 3/8/2014 12:34:58 AM
Lol
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @930MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912