This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've been gaming for a loooong time, and I feel I can safely say that

#31GjainPosted 3/8/2014 12:19:30 AM
You know what they say, once you start gaming you can never stop til you DIE!
#32MadnessLoverPosted 3/8/2014 12:46:01 AM
Enough exposure to alcohol, nicotine, etc causes your body to build a physical dependence on it. Abrupt withdrawal of these drugs can cause physical problems in the human body. Alcohol, for example, causes suppression of the nervous system through stimulation of receptors in the body. Excessive alcohol abuse causes down-regulation of these receptors, weakening their response over time. If alcohol is abruptly discontinued, the body is no longer able to activate these receptors to a sufficient extent and the nervous system is suddenly hyper-excited. This is a physical problem associated with alcohol abuse.

You tried nicotine once. If you had continued to smoke you would have become addicted sooner or later. It is long-term exposure to these drugs that leads to problems.That said, the severity of the addiction is also highly dependent on how much exposure occurs. Someone who smokes half of a pack a day will most likely struggle less than someone who smokes several packs a day. Of course, genetic differences can cause the extent of the addiction to vary from person to person.

You cannot physically reach the point where not playing a game will cause you to die.There's a big difference between a mental addiction and a physical addiction.
#33Mordecai the MadPosted 3/8/2014 1:21:49 AM
Video games: Not Even Once.
---
"Do not mock me, Raziel. You, of all of us, should respect the power bestowed by a limitation overcome."
- Rahab
#34ArthasRebornPosted 3/8/2014 1:59:20 AM
This is like saying drinking water should be taxed and regulated because people obsessed with keeping hydrated sometimes go too far and cause kidney failure or other issues. Does videogame addiction exist? Yes, but it's not a chemical dependency on playing. People with addictive personalities will find a hook in something.

As with anything that doesn't cause a physical dependency, it's a matter of self-control and moderation. And I say this as a depressed video game addict.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/arthasreborn
http://i.imgur.com/0Zamww5.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PDgXlnY.jpg
#35DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/8/2014 2:02:19 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
The leading cause of death is being alive.
Oxygen is the most addictive substance in the world, followed by Dihydrogen Monoxide.
We should regulate hands, as they're a deadly weapon.

Videogames are not addictive.

I've heard plenty of alcoholics argue this exact same thing. "Life is addiction, everyone needs oxygen, if you stop breathing you die, so I don't need to stop drinking."

Btw, they do regulate hands when they're used as a deadly weapon... it's called "assault", and can even go so far as "murder".

That's not regulating hands. That's regulating people. It would be assault whether it's hands or feet or anything.
Videogames cause no dependency. Any addiction to videogames is self inflicted.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#36sauruschamp1Posted 3/8/2014 2:14:01 AM
There is two different issues here though. 1 alcohol and recreational drugs directly cause physical health problems; and 2 they can cause psychological problems such as addiction. Gaming on the other hand only causes the second problem (yes doing nothing but video games will make you unfit but exercising as well negates this problem).
---
Xbox GT: Zarosian 3DS ID: 1848-2118-1570
Origin and SteamID: Zarosio
#37SpazH3dPosted 3/8/2014 2:17:50 AM
killkount posted...
I'd hate to see those awful vidya game withdraws, imagine the all the suffering they'd go through!

Withdraw symptoms include: Socializing, eating more, seeing the sun, phoning your family more and attending your school/work.
---
- My vision is augmented
#38NINFanboyPosted 3/8/2014 2:30:10 AM
Costumer: Give me another game.

Employee: Uhm... that would be the third in a row. Didn't you have enough yet?

Costumer: Just shut up and give me the damn game already.

Employee: All right, all right, I'm sorry. What's it gonna be then?

Costumer: Let's see what you've got. Hmmm... hey, what's that in the back? Dark Souls! Gimme that one!!

Employee: Oh, are you sure you want that one? That's the hard stuff.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qQSFhCy.png
#39jc349Posted 3/8/2014 2:38:31 AM(edited)
By your logic TC sports should be regulated to an extreme because some fans go overboard? And I am no sports fan. In fact you could say that about pretty much any potentially addictive recreational activity. I just don't see where you are going with this. Sure video game addiction is an issue but any addiction is. However I am a firm believer the problem starts and ends with the consumer. Are you gonna find a way to regulate sex because a few people get unhealthily addicted to it too?
#40Lonestar2000Posted 3/8/2014 2:43:07 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
They're as good/bad for you as cigarettes/alcohol/some recreational drugs. It's actually a source of amusement to me that with all the research out there, and the cases of people going to excess and dying/creating physical problems for themselves, that the video game market still isn't regulated and taxed like any other controlled, but legal, substance.

http://i.imgur.com/SrBzUAW.jpg
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335