This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've been gaming for a loooong time, and I feel I can safely say that

#41jc349Posted 3/8/2014 3:50:34 AM
Maybe both Fry. Maybe both -_-
#42I-Planters-IPosted 3/8/2014 3:57:28 AM
Drugs are bad m'kay
#43Rickimaru91Posted 3/8/2014 4:10:33 AM
Anecdotes are irrelevant TC. Absolutely any activity can be addictive and anything done in excess can cause health problems but video games are no where near as addictive or damaging as alcohol/cigarettes/drugs, that's a fact, just do some research, you'll see, and I don't mean personal anecdotes, I mean statistics.

But don't get me wrong, when I say anecdotes are irrelevant I don't mean they're not true or that those experiences are not devastating to those involved, I mean the fact that anything can be addictive means that the fact that some people can be and are addicted to video games is not evidence that they are inherently addictive or bad for you.
#44skyfire777Posted 3/8/2014 4:39:23 AM
my term paper was about this. or rather, non-substance "addiction" with a focus on video games and gambling. it's not exactly an addiction, to me more accurate, it's a compulsion.
---
^^vv<><>ba
#45DerPancakePosted 3/8/2014 4:50:48 AM
Just like weed and cocaine, videogames take you to a different world that isn't full of ****.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.
#46Flaktrooper123Posted 3/8/2014 5:04:19 AM
If you are addicted that is. Otherwise, alcohol and cigarrettes will hurt you a lot more.
#47NazanirPosted 3/8/2014 5:26:23 AM
OUberLord posted...
Interesting. I didn't know games were a toxin.

Came here to say this.

I was unware that gaming could have a serious impact on my organs, like massive liver damage or ruining my lungs. I was also unware that I am as dangerous in traffic as an alcoholic and cause car crashes.

Though gaming can ruin your life socially, i'd rather put it up there with a gambling addiction, because gaming itself can be addictive. As an escape/coping mechanism, sure.

Actually, I wouldn't even put it up there with gambling, because debts and ruined families.
---
XboX GT - Nazanir
#48FenixxPosted 3/8/2014 5:45:32 AM
Gaming is only addictive if the person allows it to be. It's the same thing with anything else in this world. Anyone can have a beer, smoke some cigarettes, do whatever, but you're only going to get addicted if you let yourself. I used to be a professional bingo caller and some of the people that came in there had a gambling problem. They would spend crazy amounts of money multiple days in a row. It's not the game that was addicting because there was hundreds of others passing through that had no issues. It was purely the person.

I've been playing video games since back in the Atari days and while they may be a big part of my life, I don't need to play them everyday just to function. Sure, there's been cases of video games causing harm and even killing some people but it wasn't necessarily the games fault. One case comes to mind where the person sat for like 15 hours straight playing a game and they died because of a blood clot in their leg I believe it was. That was purely their own stupidity.

So video games being harmful? Only if you're a complete moron. Them being addicting? If you let them do that to you.
---
My Game Collection - http://backloggery.com/VelaruneGaming
#49mjc0961Posted 3/8/2014 6:14:22 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/351/eb6.jpg?1307463786
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#50SpideyknightPosted 3/8/2014 6:48:07 AM
ITT: Ignorance fueled by the weak-willed.

Cigarettes and alcohol have to be regulated because people are fools and, left to their own devices, they will cause harm to themselves and others. Hopefully, though not likely, we as gamers are above such pathetic failures.
---
For in much wisdom is much grief, and he that increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow.