This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've been gaming for a loooong time, and I feel I can safely say that

#91ArthasRebornPosted 3/8/2014 9:46:23 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
It initially just started out as an observation

The problem with your "observation" is it can apply for literally anything people can do.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/arthasreborn
http://i.imgur.com/0Zamww5.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PDgXlnY.jpg
#92EnmaDaio2588Posted 3/8/2014 9:55:00 AM
I've been playing since I was about a toddler...Can't tell you how bad my emphazima is but it isn't nearly as bad as my Liver's been doing. smoking? drinking? weed? Never touched the stuff and thank God...I'd be dead already.
---
I had a dream of my wife...She was dead but, it was OK...
#93Waluigi1Posted 3/8/2014 9:57:02 AM
When we're talking about moderation here, what are we talking about exactly? Cause last time I checked, I can buy as much cigarettes or alcohol and drink and smoke as much as I want? Are we talking about age restriction? If so, that doesn't help moderate anyone over the legal age, not to mention how stupid that would be when most video games are directed toward young people to begin with.
---
3DS FC: 4983 4925 5121
NNID, PSN, and GT: Waluigi1
#94noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 10:21:21 AM(edited)
ArthasReborn posted...
The problem with your "observation" is it can apply for literally anything people can do.

Not *everything* people can do has the potential for life-ruining addiction (ie. you can go for walks in the park, but the chance of that becoming compulsively addictive is so low that it's really only going to happen to someone with a 1/1,000,000,000 anomaly... and though you can go for a walk in a park and maybe get mauled by a bear, that doesn't make it as dangerous as addiction)... and not *everything* people can do can cause addiction that can be regulated or profited from. So no, my observation does not *literally* apply to anything people can do, just the ones that commonly take them to negative extremes.

Waluigi1 posted...
When we're talking about moderation here, what are we talking about exactly? Cause last time I checked, I can buy as much cigarettes or alcohol and drink and smoke as much as I want? Are we talking about age restriction? If so, that doesn't help moderate anyone over the legal age, not to mention how stupid that would be when most video games are directed toward young people to begin with.

Pixar films are at least as big of a hit with an adult audience as they are with the children they target... it isn't like there aren't children that play Counter-Strike, or adults that don't play Pokemon.

I'm also not arguing that regulation would help in any way... it isn't like it stops people from smoking or drinking before they're of legal age, or doing drugs that are 100% outlawed.

I'm not arguing moderation, either. Both these have been other people.

The only thing I feel I've argued in this topic is that video games have as much negative repercussions on society as any other addictive outlet. I've also stated it's interesting they aren't regulated or heavily taxed, but I'm not going to argue that I want that.
---
How good doesn't character have to be...to be good?? - League_of_Noobs
#95pingpongchingPosted 3/8/2014 10:36:55 AM
This topic is ridiculous. You think you have had some kind of deep, thought provoking realization and have decided to get a reaction from people. But there is not much here, especially in the way you think there is.

And before I go any further, stop using analogies. There is almost never a situation where an analogy perfectly embodies what you are trying to say. It is a broad strokes comparison that skates over a thousand little details that just can't be ignored. Every situation is unique. Analogies are just empty fluff that conveniently fit you position.

Now, how is gaming different from drug or alcohol abuse? Because those things are harmful to you EVERY time you do it. Sure it may be small depending on what you do but every time you consume something of that nature, it is physically harmful. Also, certain drugs and cigarettes are GUARANTEED to be addictive. That have chemical compounds that ensure certain addiction without even having to consume them that excessively. Sitting down to play a game for an hour or so is not inherently harmful to you. Sure, there are secondary "consequences" but you can literally and realistically say that about anything. And there is no guarantee that someone will become addicted or physically dependent on videogames. These are the inherent differences and why your core argument is invalid.

You also brought up gambling addiction as your example of a non-consumable that is addictive and ruins people's lives. That also just happens to be "regulated" by the government. But this is not because of the same reasons as drugs and alcohol. They are not comparable in this particular instance and it bears no mentioning. Yes gambling CAN be addictive but like gaming, it is not inherently harmful.

So what your argument fundamentally boils down to is positing the idea that we should consider regulating things that are likely to be addictive and have the possibility of leading to harmful secondary consequences. That is a dangerous line of thinking on a very slippery slope. The extreme examples are tragic and have ruined people's lives, but such is the nature of many things in life. Regulating all of the things that fit your requirements would be ridiculous, unnecessary, impossible, and in the long run do far more harm than good.

If you are not just posting this for the reactions (I mean, you are posting this on Game FAQS of all places...) and you seriously believe what you say, then are truly sad and misguided.

And if you believe as much, you should continue this debate somewhere with people who are more intelligent and informed than the random collection of gamefaqs users you'll find here. Your argument will be ripped to logical shreds...I guarantee it.
---
When life gives you lemons just say f#$% the lemons and bail.
#96wentzelotPosted 3/8/2014 10:41:13 AM
my brother is addicted to tv

my mom is addicted to buying things from rummage sales

my friend is addicted to music

etc etc

successful trolling tc
#97PaukenPosted 3/8/2014 10:42:04 AM
Blobs_ posted...
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR

whoops wrong thred

Am I the only one who thought this post should've been the end of the topic? Rest of the posts here weren't very amusing, and also suffered from immense stupidity (mostly cause there are things far worse than video games to be addicted to, and somehow suggesting that video games should be controlled before a certain uncontrolled more-potent-than-20-illegal-drugs-put-together "medicinal supplement" which can be bought over the counter and which shall not be named so I don't get my ass modded, is beyond epically stupid)...this is quite literally the only troll post I lol'd at from the stupidity in this topic.

Fun fact: soon you WILL be able to download a car. 3D Printers, yo.
#98MantraChamplooPosted 3/8/2014 10:50:20 AM
Boy, Stop.
#99Spawn_LOLsPosted 3/8/2014 11:06:04 AM
"I don't become an alcoholic when I drink, so alcoholism doesn't exist."

Alcoholism does exist. You can indeed have a chemical dependency of alcohol, though most people dont, do your google research.

Video games addiction on the other hand are of course psychological. And like any other psychological addiction (like sex) it can get pretty bad.
#100noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 11:19:32 AM(edited)
pingpongching posted...
And before I go any further, stop using analogies. There is almost never a situation where an analogy perfectly embodies what you are trying to say. It is a broad strokes comparison that skates over a thousand little details that just can't be ignored. Every situation is unique. Analogies are just empty fluff that conveniently fit you position.

Yet everyone uses them, from nobodies to high-level debaters. Because yes, they glaze over the details that provide the differences between two arguments, but they do help give grounding to an argument by comparing it to something similar. Disliking analogies won't make them go away.

pingpongching posted...
Now, how is gaming different from drug or alcohol abuse? Because those things are harmful to you EVERY time you do it.

The key word in what you've said here is "abuse", and since we must compare apples to apples, video game abuse would be harmful every time you did it as well, since that's the nature of abuse.

If we just talk about use in moderation, then alcohol and drugs aren't harmful every time you do it, and can actual provide valuable experiences, as can gaming. However, there are some games that are designed to do nothing but addict the player, as there are substances that are designed to do nothing but addict the user, so it is directly comparable. There are different potential levels for addiction in video games (ie. something like "The Yawhg" vs any MMO), the same way there are different levels of addiction based on which substance you are using. Which is why those substances are regulated.

pingpongching posted...
You also brought up gambling addiction as your example of a non-consumable that is addictive and ruins people's lives. That also just happens to be "regulated" by the government. But this is not because of the same reasons as drugs and alcohol. They are not comparable in this particular instance and it bears no mentioning. Yes gambling CAN be addictive but like gaming, it is not inherently harmful.

If it wasn't inherently harmful there would be no need to regulate, or to prevent children from participating in gambling on school grounds. It's regulated because while it isn't inherently harmful, the potential for harm is higher than other things, which is why it's controlled. Like it or not, this is directly comparable to gaming.

pingpongching posted...
So what your argument fundamentally boils down to is positing the idea that we should consider regulating things that are likely to be addictive and have the possibility of leading to harmful secondary consequences. That is a dangerous line of thinking on a very slippery slope.

I'm not asking for regulation on anything - a post or two earlier mentions this. I'm not calling for any kind of change. This is a topic on a video game board, I don't expect it to shape a policy or change the way anyone thinks.