This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it worth buying an snes controller over a ps3 controller for 2D games?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it worth buying an snes controller over a ps3 controller for 2D games?
2 years ago#1
So I already use a PS3 controller on with xpadder to play mostly 2D games on my laptop. While it isn't bad at all, the D-pad feels a bit rough on my fingers after a while and the overall quality of the face buttons feel mushy over time. Is it worth paying $30 for an snes controller (official Nintendo brand, not that 3rd party stuff that I hear is crap) and a mayflash snes to pc adapter? How does that controller compare to the DS3?
2 years ago#2
I think a Saturn controller would be best.
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
2 years ago#3
Just get a Mad Catz FightPad if your main concern is getting a good D-pad.
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
2 years ago#4
Depends on the games to be honest. If it's fighting games stick with a genesis controller. Six buttons helps a lot man. I personally prefer the genesis controller since it's something I grew up with though.
2 years ago#5
Well, let's just say I recently beat Super Mario World and I'm playing A Link to the Past right now. Amazing games, I missed out on the early 90's. I don't think I can say anymore than that without being modded. And I'm not gonna be playing any fighters as far as I know.
2 years ago#6
Thinking this is more of a "personal preference" issue rather than a "X vs Y" issue.
|CM HAF 932|I7-4770k @3.5GHZ|8GB Patriot Viper 3@1600MHZ|MSI Twin Frozr 7950|Antec Quattro 850|Samsung Evo 840 120GB|
2 years ago#7
Snes controller used to rub my thumbs raw. When I was playing Mortal Kombat 3. People used to call it nintendo thumbs. Wouldn't recommend it.
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
2 years ago#8
Get a retrolink controller and swap the shell and buttons with an original SNES pad.

You should be able to do this for $10 - $15.
| i7-3930K | MSI BB-XP II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | TT Grand 1200W | SG 240GB SSD | WD 4TB HD | Fractal XLR2 |
2 years ago#9
No, get a used logitech gamepad instead.
J-"RPG"s don't deserve the title, when they are basically TBS games with adventure elements.
2 years ago#10
If you got an SNES controller, you'd either have an original with worn out rubber pads so all the buttons would feel loose, or a cheap knock-off that would have a similar low-quality effect.

The PS3 controller is the closest thing to the SNES dpad, in my experience.
How good doesn't character have to be good?? - League_of_Noobs
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it worth buying an snes controller over a ps3 controller for 2D games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived