This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Amd= Finished Finally

#31DV8ingSourcesPosted 3/8/2014 3:31:05 PM
Colonel_Romeo posted...
DV8 the gawd that helped me build my last pc what should I go with between the 290 and the 780 at a 500$ price point?

I'm not really qualified to recommend between those two cards. I haven't used AMD since the 4xxx series. I trust nvidia more to provide support longer. I also have come to enjoy physx and shadowplay. I am well aware that I'm too biased to really say the 290 is worse with any real resolve.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#32DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/8/2014 3:33:09 PM
Colonel_Romeo posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
Colonel_Romeo posted...
Clouddx posted...
HardcoreFtw posted...
AMD seem like a real winner this gen for consoles..

Cept, not really. Nvidia chose not to work on any consoles. Essentially giving AMD their scraps.

And may I ask who you received this info from? was it Nvidia..

Nvidia was asked apparently but AMD offered a better deal. So yes AMD is in all the machines but they probably aren't making a ton of money per chip. When dealing with bulk, often a company will sacrifice a large portion of profits just to stay busy and relatively stable.

DV8 the gawd that helped me build my last pc what should I go with between the 290 and the 780 at a 500$ price point?

780 is a bit faster, IIRC. When 290X came out, there was a big fuss that it kept up with/beat out Titan in gaming, but 780 was already faster in that regard, and 290 is cut down from 290X.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#33Colonel_Romeo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 4:19:56 PM
Thank you PC gawds just received my 4770k and I guess a gtx 780 will complete my build.
---
FFXIV- Tadakatsu Honda of Gilamesh
50 brd, 50 mnk.
#34killkountPosted 3/8/2014 4:39:38 PM(edited)
I bought my 290 for $400 bucks and I must say I am very happy with it still.
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#35Colonel_Romeo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 4:30:05 PM
If I could find one that low it would be hard to pass up Mantel looks promising.
---
FFXIV- Tadakatsu Honda of Gilamesh
50 brd, 50 mnk.
#36godplaysSNESPosted 3/8/2014 4:47:01 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
BambooPandamo posted...
To the folks saying AMD has a stronghold in consoles, who cares?

They're selling them by the bulk and Intel wasn't interested in a bidding war with them. In the end AMD gets to supply the CPU and GPU for all 3 consoles, they've must gotten desperate to give them a low number.

Nothing will change, AMD will remain inferior in CPU single threads and GPU Drivers.

Or it's so simple that AMD was the only one that could provide what they wanted. Nvidia could have provided a GPU, but no CPU. Intel could have provided a CPU, but a slow GPU.

nVidia could have provided a SOC design, or worked with them to make an APU. It is quite likely that Sony just didn't want to invest the money for nVidia's costs, and went with the cheaper option.

Sure, they must have seen offerings from everyone, be it Nvidia, AMD or IBM. But at the end of the day, AMD had most of the tech already sitting on the table.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#37darkstar4221Posted 3/8/2014 9:25:23 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I don't get where people got this silly idea. Sony is still working with nVidia. No bridges burned. It's GeForce Grid that's powering PlayStation Now, and it's nVidia's network infrastructure in Vita Remote Play.
Didn't Sony also license PhysX as part of their PS4 SDK?

nVidia is the number one manufacturer of gpus, of course Sony wouldn't completely cut their ties with nVidia. But one of the reasons why the PS3 hasn't dropped in price significantly is because nVidia refuses to allow Sony to shrink the die of the PS3 gpu. Sony doesn't like that.

They are both corporate bastards anyway so **** them both.
#38Carson_118Posted 3/8/2014 9:21:02 PM
"Gee I sure am tired of all these 'AMD= Finished' posts! I'll make my own to express how stupid they are! That'll show them!"
---
Reading this signature is wasting your time
#39DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/8/2014 9:30:41 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I don't get where people got this silly idea. Sony is still working with nVidia. No bridges burned. It's GeForce Grid that's powering PlayStation Now, and it's nVidia's network infrastructure in Vita Remote Play.

nVidia is the number one manufacturer of gpus, of course Sony wouldn't completely cut their ties with nVidia. But one of the reasons why the PS3 hasn't dropped in price significantly is because nVidia refuses to allow Sony to shrink the die of the PS3 gpu. Sony doesn't like that.

Sony is a business, not a person. They like whatever is profitable.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#40darkstar4221Posted 3/8/2014 10:02:53 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
darkstar4221 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Sony is a business, not a person. They like whatever is profitable.

Are you that ignorant not to believe that consumers don't have a sway in a companies decision? If Sony and nVidia acts like corporate bastards (which they are) with very questionable business practices, consumers should just brush it off and say they are just doing it to make a profit? Going by your logic a drug dealer who kills their customer is okay as long as they make a profit. Bad business practices should never be rewarded.