This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DCU Online is A Subscription Based MMO In Disguise

#1solaurus12Posted 3/8/2014 10:54:01 AM
I've played it for so long and I feel stupid for just realizing this as I try to come back into the game. They limit the currency you can have to a low 2000 (the hell?), they release new DLC like every goddamn month, and subscribed players pretty much get the whole game. I really like how different it is from other MMO's but I just can't take the cash grubbing. Back Warframe and Smite for multiplayer games I guess....
---
#2Lwaxana_TroiPosted 3/8/2014 11:02:03 AM
isn't that the case with every "f2p" mmo?

They're technically free, but you're going to end up paying if you want to enjoy the game after level 20 or so.
#3solaurus12(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 11:07:36 AM
Lwaxana_Troi posted...

They're technically free, but you're going to end up paying if you want to enjoy the game after level 20 or so.

I haven't had that problem with Warframe or Smite. Smite is a maybe as you have to either unlock the gods or buy them with favor. Warframe however, allows you to get premium currency through trading and they give out 1000+ in premium currency during their weekly and biweekly livestreams.
---
#4VdashonePosted 3/8/2014 12:23:59 PM
Lwaxana_Troi posted...

Not only paying, but paying much more heavily than you ever would have otherwise. It's the most obvious scam that has ever poisoned the industry.
---
I occasionally indulge in moderation.
#5ThePCElitistPosted 3/8/2014 12:43:45 PM
This is why I prefer Subscription model MMORPG's like XIV because at least you get the entire game and not paywall BS.
#6Orestes417Posted 3/8/2014 12:51:02 PM
Vdashone posted...
Lwaxana_Troi posted...

Not only paying, but paying much more heavily than you ever would have otherwise. It's the most obvious scam that has ever poisoned the industry.

Not a scam, just clever use of psychology. The same halfwits who think going F2P is a sign of failure will be the first to whine when they discover just how superior the model is for the seller. The only real benefit of a sub based MMO to the developer is that mental barrier to quitting you get from investing $15 a month.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#7DukeCoudrayPosted 3/8/2014 3:14:37 PM
Guild Wars 2 should be the standard for MMOs, but it isnt.

New updates every 2 weeks, buy the game once, never pay again. its the future, or the 90s again.
---
I wish i could block the voices in my head for just five minutes.That scream over and over.Why do they come to me to die?Why do they come to me to die?-Al Bundy
#8steker16Posted 3/8/2014 3:22:13 PM(edited)
solaurus12 posted...
Lwaxana_Troi posted...

I haven't had that problem with Warframe or Smite. Smite is a maybe as you have to either unlock the gods or buy them with favor. Warframe however, allows you to get premium currency through trading and they give out 1000+ in premium currency during their weekly and biweekly livestreams.

for smite, anyone who even remotely enjoys that game needs to buy the ultimate god pack before its too late. seriously. i know its a F2P games but the pack is only $30 and it gives you every god that has been released till now, and every that ever will be released for the life of the game. that deal is unbeatable when you look at the time investment needed to get the already 50 gods the game has, let alone how long it till once that number continues to climb. use LoL as an example if you want, imagine if you could have every champion in that game unlocked for $30? smite will one day have those numbers, and the value you got for the $30 will seem insane.

i had bought smite gems back in closed beta, before the god pack was even a thing, the day they announced the god pack was for sale i logged in and was automatically given it for having supported them so early in development. at the time the pack was for only the first 30 gods, right before the 30th god released they changed it to every god that will ever be released, for the life of the game. and never upped the price.
#9foodeater4Posted 3/8/2014 3:35:29 PM
DukeCoudray posted...
Guild Wars 2 should be the standard for MMOs, but it isnt.

New updates every 2 weeks, buy the game once, never pay again. its the future, or the 90s again.

I sure hope not. The 2 weeks updates are mostly boring crap.
#10Orestes417Posted 3/8/2014 3:39:50 PM
Yeah, GW2 is a terrible example of how an MMO should be handled, being super casual by design and shallower than a Kardashian.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together