This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the darkest game universe ever created?

#61Rat_a_tatPosted 3/8/2014 3:49:10 PM
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter has a pretty dark setting. It's more atmospheric than "grimdark", but the entire game takes place in dingy, dimly-lit underground bunkers following an apocalypse, with ramshackle towns scattered here and there. Even the Game Over screen has you being ripped apart. Extreme departure from the previous games. The devs pulled some punches with some of the gorey content (game is rated T after all), but it's still pretty dire.

Very love/hate game, though. Perhaps even one of the most polarizing RPGs out there.
---
Friend Code: 0104-0344-6970
#62HylianKnight1Posted 3/8/2014 3:54:41 PM
Dragon Age
#631618dudePosted 3/8/2014 4:00:57 PM
DayZ
Saints Row IV
Fallout

And some others that some people already mentioned.
#64Sick_HappyPosted 3/8/2014 4:06:07 PM
Just because no ones mentioned it yet I'll say Bioshock. Great atmosphere and feeling of dread
#65AshernedPosted 3/8/2014 4:13:30 PM
Vandal Hearts II: Heaven's Gate. Especially in the bad ending.

This game was basically doing "A Song of Ice and Fire's" plot back when A Clash of Kings was still brand new on the bookshelves.
---
There's a simple difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter. Freedom fighters don't kill the people they claim to be fighting for.
#66nickizgr8Posted 3/8/2014 4:14:30 PM
Greendragon854 posted...
Demon's souls

Well that didn't take long at all -.-
---
Brothers and Sisters are sworn enemies Like PC Gamers and Xbox Gamers, or PC Gamers and Sony Gamers, Or PC Gamers and PC Gamers, Damn PC Gamers ruined PC gaming
#67DestroyrofSoulsPosted 3/8/2014 4:14:44 PM
I'd say Darksiders, because I haven't played too many extremely-edgy games.
---
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk, have at you!" - Dracula from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
Thanks Johnny!
#68Ness0123456789Posted 3/8/2014 4:18:03 PM
You can't really get any grimdarker than Warhammer 40K.

There is, quite literally, no hope, no joy, and no happiness in that universe, at all.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#69ThePredominatePosted 3/8/2014 4:23:30 PM
Hmm.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
The Void
Sanitarium
Penumbra
Call of Cthulhu
#70matu90rkPosted 3/8/2014 4:25:17 PM
Rat_a_tat posted...
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter has a pretty dark setting. It's more atmospheric than "grimdark", but the entire game takes place in dingy, dimly-lit underground bunkers following an apocalypse, with ramshackle towns scattered here and there. Even the Game Over screen has you being ripped apart. Extreme departure from the previous games. The devs pulled some punches with some of the gorey content (game is rated T after all), but it's still pretty dire.

Very love/hate game, though. Perhaps even one of the most polarizing RPGs out there.

I love Dragon Quarter.