This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

could I have died or been badly hurt?

#1Blueandwhite87Posted 3/8/2014 1:58:50 PM
Long story short my house was flooding I rescued my pc as it is a expensive machine but shortly after something on my powerbar that the pc was connected to was surging in the water as i was standing in it, Hours later I asked myself how did I not get killed?
#2JKatarnPosted 3/8/2014 2:02:48 PM
Um....yeah, generally electricity + water = painful death. I personally wouldn't have risked my life to save the PC, but that's me.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#3Sick_HappyPosted 3/8/2014 2:03:55 PM
Isn't there a level in Half-Life 2 like this?

I think your circuit breakers in the house would save you. Glad you didn't die though dude!
#4SleepComaPosted 3/8/2014 2:05:56 PM
How was your house flooded?
---
*Projectile Vomits* Those prices are fantastic!
#5TruePowerSeekerPosted 3/8/2014 2:08:31 PM
Yes. However since you didn't that means you are now have super powers. Have fun running around shooting lighting from your palms.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alX4leh13s8
#6Blueandwhite87(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2014 2:08:47 PM
my water heater broke
#7jedinatPosted 3/8/2014 2:09:29 PM
http://www.nachi.org/images10-2/redneck-power.jpg
#8RequiemPosted 3/8/2014 2:12:20 PM
Well, I guess we now know the monetary value of your life.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#9PhilOnDezPosted 3/8/2014 2:13:45 PM
I'm assuming the flooding was in the basement/ground floor. Several reasons you wouldn't have gotten hurt:

Fresh water is really bad at carrying current long distances, salt water is a lot better but even then it's still not very effective

If it was in the basement the electricity would have been grounded, going straight from the plug to ground. This is of course assuming it didn't trip the breaker immediately which is what should have happened. On the ground floor the electricity going straight to ground is less likely but still very possible.

If somehow it didn't trip the breaker and the current traveled far enough to make it through you it would have gone up one leg and out the other. In order to kill you it would have to go through an arm to ground, crossing over your heart in the process. From leg to arm (or vice versa) this is fairly unlikely, it usually only happens in arm-to-arm electrocutions (or head-to-toe like in an electric chair). The only way a leg-to-leg electrocution could have gotten you would have been if it was enough current to paralyze you, causing you to fall over and drown, I think you would have felt a tingling as you got closer to the source which I'm sure would have deterred you long before paralyzing you.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10NicoC96Posted 3/8/2014 2:14:31 PM
I would think that there are provisions set in place to prevent electrocution in this sort of matter. I'm not an electrician, but I would think there are at least a few variables that made it difficult for you to get shocked.