This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking about committing my tax return on a Surface Pro 2. Thoughts?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Thinking about committing my tax return on a Surface Pro 2. Thoughts?
2 years ago#1
The 256GB model for the 8 GB of RAM.

My laptop, though it was pretty nice when I bought it in 2008, is showing its age. I'm on the road all the time now due to school and lugging my laptop around is a pain. I game on it semi-regularly - primarily Civ V, SC2, TF2 and Diablo III, which all run moderately well.

I'd build my own rig, but a desktop isn't what I need at the moment.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't lusting after a SP2. I'm no hardware expert but it seems pretty powerful for a tablet/laptop hybrid. Gets nearly unanimous positive reviews, too. Expandable storage (microSD though, meh), USB 3.0 (only one though, meh), and no bundled Type Cover 2 or Office. I do froth at the mouth at the idea of playing Civ V with a touch screen, though...

I'm not terribly familiar with the tablet market, however, so I ask: any other tablet/laptop hybrids you guys would recommend? Any good/bad things to say about the SP2?

tl;dr - SP2 worth it for a student?
And now presenting your St. Louis Cardinals! 11 in '11
GT: APanasonicYouth /// Playing: Dark Souls (X360)
2 years ago#2
I went with a nexus 7. The surface pro 2 is relatively expensive & it's overkill for my type of usage.

I do not tend to games outside of desktop usage.
Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K @4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|VisionTek HD7970 3GB|11TB storage|x-fi titanium hd|Silent Pro M1000W|Corsair 800D
2 years ago#3
The Surface Pro 2 is a nice device, so long as your primary use for it isn't gaming. It will handle some games decently but it certainly isn't designed for it.
2 years ago#4
I actually had this question about a month ago. I ended up buying a yoga 2 pro. You can use it as a tablet, but it still has a dedicated keyboard for gaming. The only downside is that it does not have wacom pen compatibility. But I've tried tf2 and diablo III on it and they run fine.
i7-4770k @4.4Ghz | AsRock z87 OC Formula | Corsair 16GB@1600 | H100i | AX1200i | 500GB 840evo ssd | 5TB 7200rpm | EVGA GTX 780 Classified SLI | ASUS 2560x1440 |
2 years ago#5
I was wanting to do the same thing but I have to put my return towards other things. I think it's a pretty slick device, but expensive :/
2 years ago#6
I choose the yoga 2 pro over the surface. It runs BF4, Bioshock Infinite, and Tomb Raider (only games i've tried so far).
Currently Playing: Tearaway, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, P4G
COYS http://tinyurl.com/96nt3sb
2 years ago#7
Go to a Microsoft store or bestbuy and try out the keyboard for it, I'm confident that you won't like it
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS
2 years ago#8
animanganime posted...
Go to a Microsoft store or bestbuy and try out the keyboard for it, I'm confident that you won't like it

Did you use the Touch Cover or Type Cover? Big difference.
And now presenting your St. Louis Cardinals! 11 in '11
GT: APanasonicYouth /// Playing: Dark Souls (X360)
2 years ago#9
I like my SP2, with reasonable settings it even runs Skyrim well. Especially since they now come with an updated i5-4300U, which is a good bit faster with zero battery hit.
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.12
3DS FC: 1607-1928-5887
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Thinking about committing my tax return on a Surface Pro 2. Thoughts?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived