This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p - Worth it?

#1AkanubonOrihPosted 3/8/2014 11:51:00 PM(edited)
Before anyone suggests getting or upgrading a desktop computer... I'm not interested. I take my laptop with me to work daily and simply prefer laptops to desktops.

My current Acer Aspire 5740-6378 laptop is struggling a bit to keep up with today's games. Even a game a couple years old like Dark Souls gets pretty slow in a lot of areas. Flying around or driving in Saints Row IV was like activating slowmo at times. It's getting old.

So I think with Dark Souls II on the horizon, it might be time to upgrade. I saw the laptop in the title and it seems like it fits my requirements. Under $800 but pretty capable (so I'm thinking the $779/$799 version). Is there something better out there I should look into or will that play most things without much trouble? I don't mind playing on low settings when need be... I've never been a graphics guy. I just need my games to play with minimal slowdown.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/
---
Check out the fasten-ating adventures of The Stupendous Stapler:
http://www.staplercomic.wordpress.com/
#232x2zPosted 3/9/2014 12:03:59 AM
Honestly man. Get the base 719.99 version. You stated you'll be going to and from work with it, the I5 processor will last significantly longer as opposed to it's i7 counterparts battery wise. If space is a concern, you can just buy an SSD with the money you saved. That'll help greatly in your single player games.
#3AkanubonOrih(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 12:09:21 AM
Really? I'll be honest, my computer knowledge is practically non-existent. I wish it was as easy as "higher number means better product" but I know it's really not.

As for power, I'm not concerned at all about how long it will last. I have power outlets near me at all times, and have essentially murdered my Acer's battery from keeping it plugged in constantly. I probably wouldn't do that to my new one, but again, I don't really think battery life is any sort of issue.
---
#4lusanzPosted 3/9/2014 12:09:49 AM
I have the $779 y410p laptop and i freaking...LOVE THIS THING. I was debating in getting a custom desktop but I honestly was never really into desktops. I love portability so laptop it was. I previously had an Alienware m11x gaming laptop (worst buy in my whole life). It honestly sucked hard.

Now i have the y410p and I can play all my games in High, Ultra, and Custom high-Ultra settings.
I'm talking about Skyrim, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Warframe, Shadow Warrior, Rise of the triad, Outlast (max settings!), Crysis series, and the list goes on.

Now I know that future games will of course run in low to mid/ mid-high custom settings but the games i have currently were more of what I wanted to buy this laptop for.
I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. I use it everyday for hours.
#532x2zPosted 3/9/2014 12:19:30 AM
AkanubonOrih posted...
Really? I'll be honest, my computer knowledge is practically non-existent. I wish it was as easy as "higher number means better product" but I know it's really not.

As for power, I'm not concerned at all about how long it will last. I have power outlets near me at all times, and have essentially murdered my Acer's battery from keeping it plugged in constantly. I probably wouldn't do that to my new one, but again, I don't really think battery life is any sort of issue.

Keep in mind that you are limited too 900p or 768p (which is hd) so the GPU will perform better on a lower resolution. It's all preference though man, if you have power outlets, get the i7 for sure. I personally recommend the one for 799 just because it's a hybrid hard drive which will help boot times. 5400 RPMS is something that sucks once you go from an SSD let alone 7200 rpms. Also it has a better resolution too so games will look more much more pleasant.
#6AkanubonOrih(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 12:25:57 AM
32x2z posted...
AkanubonOrih posted...

Keep in mind that you are limited too 900p or 768p (which is hd) so the GPU will perform better on a lower resolution. It's all preference though man, if you have power outlets, get the i7 for sure. I personally recommend the one for 799 just because it's a hybrid hard drive which will help boot times. 5400 RPMS is something that sucks once you go from an SSD let alone 7200 rpms. Also it has a better resolution too so games will look more much more pleasant.

Yeah, I ended up having to replace my hard drive in my Acer and got a hybrid hard drive for it. It's definitely pretty nice. I could just pop that into the $779 model, couldn't I? My only concern is that ever since changing hard drives, I've noticed my computer stutters every now and then. Very noticeable when watching a show or playing a game, not so much when just messing around. Is that a sign that the hard drive is faulty or is there some other issue?
---
#732x2zPosted 3/9/2014 12:54:56 AM
That I'm not so sure of. It's best to make another thread and ask the board members. As long as you're okay with the 768 resolution as opposed to the 900 you would be receiving, I think that'd be a stellar setup.
#8AkanubonOrih(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 12:58:20 AM
Fair enough, I knew I was getting off topic. But I think I'll go ahead with the $799 model. It's only $20 more after all.
---