This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

BD drive should be the standard.

#21johnny_payPosted 3/9/2014 6:00:18 AM
I only use my optical drive to play with when I'm bored waiting for things to load (damn last gen consoles take forever to load). I'll sit there opening and closing it.
#22r7gerrabbitPosted 3/9/2014 6:18:16 AM
DVD is cheaper, and I don't buy physical media anymore.
Don't even remember the last time I used my DVD drive, and when I build a new PC I'm not even going to bother with one.
---
Sig.
#23HighwayPilotPosted 3/9/2014 6:32:17 AM
DerPancake posted...
HighwayPilot posted...
Even DVD installs are a lot faster than downloading and install a 5GB+ game.

Thats if you live on a farm with a bad ISP.
More than half of the gaming population is still stuck in such situation. And it might get even worse if anti-net neutrality ISP's start slowing down corporations like steam.
#24WelverinPosted 3/9/2014 6:35:08 AM
Mr kitty posted...
Why most people still stick with a DVD drive. BD drive is twice faster & the capacity is a lot larger. Rewritable BD disk is also more functional over the old DVD drive.

Games installation is a hassle because DVD is currently the standard.

I'm so into digital that I don't remember the last time I went into a game store.

What, you still use optical drives? What's that like?
---
Mmmmm, Apple Pai.
#25PhilOnDezPosted 3/9/2014 6:56:41 AM
HighwayPilot posted...
DerPancake posted...
HighwayPilot posted...

More than half of the gaming population is still stuck in such situation. And it might get even worse if anti-net neutrality ISP's start slowing down corporations like steam.

I installed Skyrim via disc just to save a bit of bandwidth since it was late in the month. I was actually shocked at how slow it was and my connection isn't even that fast. Yeah, if all I had wa dialup or DSL I'd be glad to install via disc but for a lot of us the discs are useless, especially since there's often still gigs of downloading left once the disc has run, if the game is on there at all and not just a steam installer like most include.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#26KillerzOverHerePosted 3/9/2014 7:21:48 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#27NicodimusPosted 3/9/2014 7:50:49 AM
DerPancake posted...
HighwayPilot posted...

And that's not their fault at all. ISP monopolies are to blame.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#28huyiPosted 3/9/2014 8:08:59 AM
I would rather install pc games from disc i still have a lot of old pc games on dvd and cd, i also rip a lot of music to my hard drive i have 16,000 songs lol

Also blu ray drives are still quite expensive over here the last time i looked including the media, i do agree as to why pc games install on dvd when some physical pc releases have like 4 dvds, it's like the pc cd days with 6+ discs, i think blu ray drives need to be much cheaper to become the standard.
---
UK Female Gamer
AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD7750 8GB RAM 2TB HDD DLC THE GAME http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h472NmF1HEQ
#29DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/9/2014 11:51:20 AM
HighwayPilot posted...

But much less convenient.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#30temgunPosted 3/9/2014 11:56:05 AM
I bought and installed an optical drive to my PC two years ago. I still haven't touched it.