This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does the Oculus Rift work?

#1AncientAstroPosted 3/9/2014 10:15:30 AM
Can you connect it to any PC or home console such as the PS3/PS4? Or does it have its own computing system that renders PC games?
#2-5xad0w-Posted 3/9/2014 10:28:33 AM
The Rift is basically a monitor, so to get stereoscopic (side-by-side) 3D from a program/game it has to be supported software side.

I'm not sure if standard side-by-side output would work (i think it would to a degree at least) since the OR itself has sort of a 'fish eye' effect with the lens it uses. (if you watch a video of most OR games you will notice the pictures are rounded and kind of distorted at the edges)
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#3Dragonspawn1319Posted 3/9/2014 10:30:58 AM
It's not compatible with consoles, but yeah you hook it up to a normal pc.
#4PhilOnDezPosted 3/9/2014 11:26:48 AM
I have a question about hooking it up. What inputs/outputs does it have? I'm assuming it has at least USB for the motion tracking.

Also, once it's hooked up, does it act like a second monitor or does it only display while playing a game? From what I've watched it always seemed to be mirrored on the monitor so I'm not sure if it was set to clone the display or if that's just how it works.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#5-5xad0w-Posted 3/9/2014 11:31:17 AM
USB and either DVI or HDMI.

As for output while gaming, it can either be mirrored or act as an extended desktop.

In almost all cases the game is still displayed on your main monitor as well.
---
#6Ikari GendoPosted 3/9/2014 1:28:39 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
I have a question about hooking it up. What inputs/outputs does it have? I'm assuming it has at least USB for the motion tracking.

Also, once it's hooked up, does it act like a second monitor or does it only display while playing a game? From what I've watched it always seemed to be mirrored on the monitor so I'm not sure if it was set to clone the display or if that's just how it works.

It's just easier to clone it imo. If I have to take it off for dizziness or anything, I can still see it on the monitor.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#7Blobs_Posted 3/9/2014 1:29:50 PM
The oculus rift is actually magic, and is ran by hamsters in a chinese sweatshop.
---
is haha
#8AncientAstro(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 6:32:14 AM
Any idea when it will be mass released to consumers? I'm trying to hold out for that one since it will have increased resolution and functionality over the dev kit version. Or do you think it's worth it to purchase the development one now?
#9tinfoil21Posted 3/10/2014 7:22:25 AM
I would wait for the commercial release. It should be out sometime in 2014.
#10-5xad0w-Posted 3/10/2014 10:38:02 AM
AncientAstro posted...
Any idea when it will be mass released to consumers? I'm trying to hold out for that one since it will have increased resolution and functionality over the dev kit version. Or do you think it's worth it to purchase the development one now?

Should be out this year.

I have a dev kit, but I'd recommend holding out for the retail version.

Also, I think they may have stopped selling dev kits.
---