This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long is a mouse and keyboard suppose to last?

#11LordOfLegaciesPosted 3/10/2014 11:52:18 AM
7 years ago I bought a new Logitech wireless mouse for $15 and a used basic keyboard at a thrift store for $1, both still work fine with no problems.
I think you'll prolly be okay.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
Yep, sure f***ing showed me.
#12Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 3/10/2014 12:23:21 PM
I've had expensive stuff last under a year; I've had cheap $10 mouses last literally years.
---
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers - Any platform, any genre! Love games? So do we.
#13PraetorXynPosted 3/10/2014 7:03:38 PM
It varies by keyboard.

The Deck Legend, which is the epitome of build quality, will most likely last forever. I wouldn't be surprised if Filco would as well. The thing about mechanical boards is that if a switch goes bad you can just replace it.

With mice, as long as you get one with a good sensor and a securely attached cable you can expect it to last multiple years. The G400, as good a mouse as it was, was really easy to short the cable on because for whatever reason Logitech uses the cheapest thinnest cables in the business. They've reinforced the cable with the G400S that I'm using now but it's still thin as hell and cheap instead of having proper braiding.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#14fataliPosted 3/10/2014 7:18:42 PM
My old Microsoft natural keyboard last me for a decade, then the one after that was the Natural multimedia and I used that for good 5 years until I replaced it only because I wanted a backlighted keyboard, is still working fine in another PC.

My current Razer keyboard is not even a year old, the surface of the keys is peeling off, and the keys sometimes get stuck if you don't press them exactly in the middle, pretty bad quality.

For mouses, back when I was playing a lot of RTS games all mouses would last me 6 months before the buttons would start to fail, today I had over a year with my G400 and is not wearing out at all.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#15Blobs_Posted 3/10/2014 7:21:06 PM
I think the longevity of a mouse and keyboard really varies a lot. I've heard stories of people's keyboards/mice breaking after a few months of using them, (ahem razer) and I've heard of people having their thrift store kb/m lasting years. It really depends how you treat them, and more or less luck.
---
is haha
#16SlaynPosted 3/10/2014 7:25:15 PM
Keyboards probably a decade. I usually break them myself long before anything wears out. Usually I just get them so dirty I would rather replace than clean. Supposedly you can put them in the dishwasher and air dry, but that takes a day or two.

As for mice, usually 3-5 years before something doesn't click right IMO.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#17Flaktrooper123Posted 3/10/2014 7:28:54 PM
For keyboards, until pressure sensitive keyboards become popular
#18YOeastonYOPosted 3/10/2014 8:04:48 PM
I've never had any keyboard or mouse fail on me other than products from Razer.
#19halomonkey1_3_5Posted 3/10/2014 8:56:37 PM
I really dont know, typically I buy something new because I want more features or I get bored before it breaks

the only stuff I've ever had break on me has been either due to s***-tier build quality(Razer Naga, twice) or because I spilled a drink or something on it(various cheap keyboards from when I was younger). I dont think I've ever had something break from normal usage(unless you count the fatal double click "bug" on the first couple models of the Naga as being from normal use, which you shouldnt).
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#20MisterSpliffPosted 3/10/2014 8:57:57 PM
I think the Hot Pocket grease and Dorito dust on my hands broke my Razer Mouse. They really need to step up the quality control on these things.