This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

are you getting Titanfall?

#41KillerTrufflePosted 3/10/2014 5:24:39 PM
Orestes417 posted...
As for the problem with society in general, people have become too damn PC to call others on their bull****. Getting to the point you can't criticize anyone without being accused of a hate crime.

This is pretty much true.

And I'd also agree about the hot shot players being problems, although I see that more of what makes gaming communities a crappy place to be (pick a MOBA community, or the majority of others), while players expecting everything to be dumbed down and handed out to them (or to just spend some more money to buy rather than earn upgrades) are largely responsible for the dumbing down of actual gameplay.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#42DaedalusExPosted 3/10/2014 5:28:53 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
Good players are going to curbstomp the bad regardless. The difference is basically that scrubs will whine about bigger scrubs getting "lucky" or "cheap" kills on them in a more casual game.

Bad players can still get kills. Even on good players. That's how modern multiplayer FPS are designed. That's why health pools are so low relative to bullet damage these days--it diminishes a good player's ability to respond to a disadvantageous situation. Get the jump on a good player in Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament? Doesn't matter, they're just going to turn around and blow you away anyway because they're better at the game.

That's not to say low health pools are inherently bad or that positioning shouldn't be important, but if you're going to make shots count and positioning important you need to give players the tools to control positioning and also add some skill to the shooting beyond point and click. Which is exactly what Counter-Strike does, and what I suspect Titanfall doesn't.
#43Orestes417Posted 3/10/2014 5:32:20 PM
Oh noes, I was killed by a "bad" player who happened to be in the right spot at the right time. Whatever will I do? Tell you what I won't do: Cry like a lil ***** about how they didn't deserve the kill. It's embarrassing to see players who consider themselves above mediocre doing **** like that instead of manning up and playing harder. So you have an extra kill against you, big ****ing deal. If you're as good as you think you are the odds should still favor you by a wide margin.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#44DaedalusExPosted 3/10/2014 5:45:12 PM
Orestes417 posted...
It's embarrassing to see players who consider themselves above mediocre doing **** like that instead of manning up and playing harder.

"Playing harder" doesn't do anything when the game mechanics are designed to be out of the player's control. That was my point.
#45Cool_Dude667Posted 3/10/2014 5:53:08 PM
na
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#46DV8ingSourcesPosted 3/10/2014 5:59:00 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
Orestes417 posted...
It's embarrassing to see players who consider themselves above mediocre doing **** like that instead of manning up and playing harder.

"Playing harder" doesn't do anything when the game mechanics are designed to be out of the player's control. That was my point.

Only way that happens is with things like 'killstreaks'. Something Titanfall thankfully does not have. There is very little in most multiplayer games that is beyond a players control. I'd like to read some examples if you have any.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#47cody4783Posted 3/10/2014 6:01:19 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Only way that happens is with things like 'killstreaks'. Something Titanfall thankfully does not have. There is very little in most multiplayer games that is beyond a players control. I'd like to read some examples if you have any.

Agreed, genuinely interested what is outside of a player's control. Getting shot because you were looking the other way doesn't count.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#48Orestes417Posted 3/10/2014 6:13:28 PM
Worry less about things you aren't in control of and focus on things you are. Blaming a loss on things out of your control is a cop out unless we're talking CoD style nukes... in which case your entire team collectively sucked hard enough to allow it to happen and you bloody well earned it.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#49DaedalusExPosted 3/10/2014 6:28:42 PM(edited)
DV8ingSources posted...

Player positioning. In Counter-Strike, all players spawn at the same point every round. This means that at any given time I know where the enemies can be (and likely are based on other information.) I know, for example, that no one is going to shoot me in the back before I get to the bombsite at Long A because it's physically impossible for an enemy to get behind me that quickly. I know that if my team goes to B and they're still alive I won't be seeing any enemies come from that direction. Knowing where the enemies can be and likely are allows me to control my positioning when I engage enemies and also when I'm engaged. Because of this, it's incredibly rare that I get shot in the back or killed from a position where I couldn't react.

I haven't played Titanfall so I don't know how the spawns work, but if it's anything like Call of Duty I'd expect to get shot in the back all the time because I have very limited control over my positioning.
#50DV8ingSourcesPosted 3/10/2014 6:30:35 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

Player positioning. In Counter-Strike, all players spawn at the same point every round. This means that at any given time I know where the enemies can be (and likely are based on other information.) I know, for example, that no one is going to shoot me in the back before I get to the bombsite at Long A because it's physically impossible for an enemy to get behind me that quickly. I know that if my team goes to B and they're still alive I won't be seeing any enemies come from that direction. Knowing where the enemies can be and likely are allows me to control my positioning when I engage enemies and also when I'm engaged. Because of this, it's incredibly rare that I get shot in the back or killed from a position where I couldn't react.

I haven't played Titanfall so I don't know how the spawns work, but if it's anything like Call of Duty I'd expect to get shot in the back all the time because I have very limited control over my positioning.

Its possible to get unlucky sure, but its also just as possible to get lucky. Generally speaking, even in COD games, you can get to cover and come up with a plan to move forward. Only being able to know a 'procedure' rather than think on your toes is less skillful in my opinion.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1