This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Counter Strike vs Socom and the Cuban connection.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Counter Strike vs Socom and the Cuban connection.
1 year ago#1
Just wanted to bridge a gap here for PC and Console gamer's alike.

PC gamer's had Counter Strike. Playstation gamer's had Socom.Both games are eerily similar in terms of weaponry, game modes, player skill, team work, and bullet damage.

One can't help but think Zipper Interactive borrowed idea's from Counter Strike, but with it's own unique twist. Third person view, larger maps, a single player campaign, and of course dancing. Who doesn't like dancing? Well one day Zipper Interactive decided to get creative and add vehicles and quadruple the map size which no one wanted. The milking lasted a little longer and then the franchise quickly faded. DLC? Check! Peripherals? Check! Hard to believe this is all going down nearly 10 years ago! Yes Socom 2 had DLC. A map pack consisting of 3 maps, the only catch... you had to buy a PS2 Hard Drive that was a nice price of $150, and then you had to collect the map's by buying different issues of Playstation Magazine! Hoorah Marines!

Meanwhile Counter Strike Source comes out and while it makes some changes, it keeps the element of success majorly the same. Giving the new and old fans something to enjoy. Game modes stayed the same, as did weapons, and play styles.

Some time has passed, and Playstation 3 is in full effect, but severely lacking quality video games. Sony announces Socom: Confrontation to give the hardcore gamer's a reason to buy the new system. Despite selling a million copies and being bundled with a piece of crap bluetooth mic, Socom: Confrontation was an epic failure. If you think Battlefield issues were bad, you have no idea. And the average review scores of 4/10 didn't help. What wen't wrong? Not enough development time. 10 months after launch the game finally get's a patch that makes it playable, not bad for an online only game right?

The dust settled, and the damage was done....or was it?

Two year's go by and Socom 4 is announced. The fan's are anxious once again just to see a tidbit of game play to remind them of all the fun times they had nearly a decade prior to. With a brand new engine Zipper Interactive plans to take back the crown, because long before all of this stuff started it was Socom vs Halo. Two flagship games with excellent multiplayer going head to head, but now first person shooters are all the rave, and were in the midst of the Call of Duty craze! New engine and all, Zipper decides to remove all the classic gameplay modes that set them apart from the typical shooters from Demolition to Extraction and more, and replace them with three different variations of "Capture The Flag"!!! As if that wasn't bad enough they gutted the original gameplay mechanics! Reviews were average to bad, and that's what happens when you take something so basic and great, and try to make it more then it is. Interestingly enough Socom 1 and 2's Playstation 2 servers were still active up until this point when Sony decided to terminate all Socom servers rendering the new game useless...

Now what the hell does this have to do with Counter Strike or PC gaming? Well it's from the constant disappointment on PS2's Socom sequels that led me to PC gaming and Counter Strike in the first place. Year's of comfort, only led to disappointment whenever I wen't back to Socom. Now there is a new game coming soon which is basically mirroring Socom 2, and it is coming to the PC. Can I sit here and claim to be terribly excited, no. Years of disappointment since Socom 2 have left a bitter taste in my mouth. This guy David Sears made the original Socom game's and is making the new game "H-Hour: World's Elite" I know terribly horrible baffling bad title, but that is what it is.

For years I wondered what a good Socom would look like on the PC. Now hopefully we can finally find out.

That my friend is the Cuban connection, minus anything that has to do with Cuba.
1 year ago#2
Wh'y d'o yo'u typ'e lik'e thi's? Apostrophe's aren't mean't t'o b'e abuse'd i'n thi's wa'y.
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
1 year ago#3
MELENTIA posted...
PC gamer's had Counter Strike. Playstation gamer's had Socom.Both games are eerily similar in terms of weaponry, game modes, player skill, team work, and bullet damage.

Wait... what?
1 year ago#4
SOCOM 2 left a bad taste in your mouth? Weird I would have thought SOCOM 3 at the least although I did enjoy 3 a bit. I prefer SOCOM 1 but 2 was still pretty amazing.

I loved the SOCOM series, really H-Hour lives up to it and yeah that name sucks.

Oh yeah and SOCOM 4 pisses me right the f*** off.

---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
1 year ago#5
MELENTIA posted...

loooool
1 year ago#6
KidInTheHall posted...
SOCOM 2 left a bad taste in your mouth? Weird I would have thought SOCOM 3 at the least although I did enjoy 3 a bit. I prefer SOCOM 1 but 2 was still pretty amazing.

I loved the SOCOM series, really H-Hour lives up to it and yeah that name sucks.

Oh yeah and SOCOM 4 pisses me right the f*** off.

Socom 2 was the best, I didn't bash Socom 2 up there at all. Fell off at S3, then PSP versions, and garbage ensued.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Counter Strike vs Socom and the Cuban connection.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived