This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is UPlay a Deal-breaker IYO?

#11KillerTrufflePosted 3/10/2014 2:39:42 PM
It's not an absolute deal breaker, but it'll easily make me 50% less likely to get any game. I do have some games with UPlay, and I've found it to be an absolute clunky nuisance. Horrid interface, obnoxiously in the way when it doesn't need to be, and pushing its storefront more than the game itself, even sometimes making it hard to tell what you've unlocked in the game and what they want to to buy with real money.

With the end of GFWL (which was a good bit worse than UPlay), Uplay is the worst of the game "clients." If there's a game I *really* want to try, I'll probably still get it (unlike GFWL, which if I knew a game used GFWL, it was an instant no-buy). But if there's a game that looks interesting, and I see it on sale, but I'm not absolutely just dying to play, I'll pass. UPlay IS a nuisance, and I'd rather not deal with it.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#12KillerTrufflePosted 3/10/2014 2:41:35 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
Literally worse than GFWL imo. The last game I tried to play on uplay was blacklist, and after chain patching, (and launching once, then patching 3 more times) it bugged on the launcher and won't run. I checked the tech support forums and plenty of people had the issue, no fix in sight. Apparently the steam version (that launches from uplay anyway) has no such issues. Before blacklist I had uplay eat my saves on farcry, and on blood dragon the service went down one weekend and it took me like 45 seconds to load every time I wanted to use the main menu because it tries to load uplay stats or whatever. Uplay is the absolute worst.

Chain patching? Hell, I'll take that any day before GFWL's update/login loop.

"You must sign in before you can apply this patch."

Ok...

"You must apply this patch before you can sign in."

Wait, what?

"You must sign in before you can apply this patch."

Seriously?

"You must apply this patch before you can sign in."

F*** YOU.

"You must sign in..."
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#13TropicMoon10Posted 3/10/2014 2:50:10 PM(edited)
I don't like Uplay but it's not a dealbreaker for me. Having played Far Cry 3 and Trials Evolution, I didn't run into any problems with either game. I have auto sign-in checked so that's also not an issue. They just take a couple of seconds longer to start than the average non-Uplay Steam game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#14Brutal_FelixPosted 3/10/2014 2:50:37 PM
Yes. If it's not on Steam or standalone (Minecraft, Guild Wars 2, LoL etc) it's a no go for me.
---
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz // ASRock Z77 Extreme4 // Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB // Ripjaws X Series 8 GB // Razer DeathAdder 2013
#15dementedlullabyPosted 3/10/2014 2:54:08 PM(edited)
I don't have any real deal breakers. If I want it I'll suffer through UPlay. It's a horrid client though. Got Blacklist for free with my gpu. You have to patch the game outside of client otherwise client will d/l a patch each time. Why isn't this fixed yet? The DLC redemption is also stupid as hell. I bought the DLC through Uplay but they send me a code instead of just enabling it. The code has instructions. It's not the end of the world but why can't I just use the code in UPlay instead of having to reach a specified point in the story and then redeeming it in-game? It just feels odd when compared to other clients.
---
XBL/PSN/NNID/Steam:DementedLullaby Origin:DL8286
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#16Silent Sniper IVPosted 3/10/2014 2:54:47 PM
dementedlullaby posted...
I don't have any real deal breakers. If I want it I'll suffer through UPlay. It's a horrid client though. Got Blacklist for free with my gpu. You have to patch the game outside of client otherwise client will d/l a patch each time.

This is what it's doing to me, but when I try to apply the latest patch, it says it's already fully patched. How did you get it to work?

Seriously, what a god-awful client.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#17arleasPosted 3/10/2014 2:55:15 PM
I'd like it if every game was available on every platform and nobody needed exclusives to drive people to THEIR digital distribution storefront. As long as Uplay doesn't go the way of Origin and pull their games off of Steam, I'm ok with it. I'm not HAPPY about it loading up and doing nothing useful, but I'm not boycotting Ubisoft games.

I'm sure Origin isnt all that bad either, except that they aren't really trying to compete with Steam and relying on the "exclusive" factor to keep people using it. If every EA game was also on steam, they might have to actually work to make Origin look more appealing than Steam.

But it's not a deal breaker, though if it's Uplay only for some reason I'll just wait.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#18SkaterUBPosted 3/10/2014 2:57:04 PM
Worst of them all. Would rather not deal with it and will avoid it if I can. All my saves got deleted and I can't get them back. Such a hassle.
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872
#19Logical_One(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 3:06:23 PM
I would absolutely use Steam to launch games (assuming they also use UPlay) because for some reason they actually run hassle free (like FC3 and AC3). However, every game that I own on UPlay (no Steam) runs like crap--AC4 and Blacklist being the worst offenders.
---
---
Steam: LogicalOne / PSN: TheCoolBreeze / XBL: ZenTheShogun
#20__starsnostarsPosted 3/10/2014 3:13:22 PM
I won't buy any games from the UPlay storefront but it's not a dealbreaker for ubisoft games available on steam. I've actually grown to like the uplay integration in Anno2070, HoM&M6, FC3, etc.