This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where did XREBIRTH go wrong?

#1MaxCHEATER64Posted 3/10/2014 5:03:57 PM
I remember last August when everyone was saying it was going to be the best game ever released, set a new standard for the industry, etc. etc. etc. Now nobody talks about it, it has some of the worst reviews I've ever seen for a big release game like that, and the board only has one active topic.
What did I miss? What happened to the "this game will be worth $80" supermegaultra hypetrain less than a year ago?

---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#2SinisterSlayPosted 3/10/2014 5:06:55 PM
The devs forgot to give their fanbase what they wanted and instead tried to target the console/causal audience instead.

They also forgot to send their code to QA for testing before deploying to the final build.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3MaxCHEATER64(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 5:08:34 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
The devs forgot to give their fanbase what they wanted and instead tried to target the console/causal audience instead.

They also forgot to send their code to QA for testing before deploying to the final build.

Is it really THAT bad though? I mean rewatching the first trailer, I find it hard to believe that a dev could take that idea and neuter it into a "15/100" game.
---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM
#4CatToyPosted 3/10/2014 5:12:53 PM
Yes, it really is that bad. And yes, it really is pretty impressive that they managed to take so many good ideas and turn them into something terrible.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#5MaxCHEATER64(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 5:13:37 PM
Is X3 any closer to that vision then Rebirth...wasn't?
---
#6CatToyPosted 3/10/2014 5:20:34 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking. The style of X games (including X3 and it's iterations) with menus within menus is what they were trying to get away from with Rebirth, but they failed monumentally to do that instead incorporating a cumbersome radial menu that solved none of the problems and created even more.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#7KabutoflowerPosted 3/10/2014 5:36:28 PM
With current patches It has definitely gotten leaps and bounds better than launch, however the launch was abysmal so that doesn't mean much. Once they get their crap together X:rebirth might be a decent game, however it will always be a terrible X game
---
"Don't talk when I'm orating."-Ben Caxton, Stranger In A Strange Land
#8dermoratrakenPosted 3/10/2014 6:02:47 PM
They tried to make the X series not be so horrible, but ended up with a mixed product that did not appeal to casual gamers or the fan base crazy enough to like X in the first place.
#9Ikari GendoPosted 3/10/2014 7:31:26 PM
It really is that bad. In another year it'll probably be playable, maybe even good, but it's pretty awful right now. Even if you somehow like the game itself, there are still a massive number of bugs. I'm usually forgiving of buggy games that at least have awesome and interesting mechanics, but rebirth is just such a disappointment.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#10KillerTrufflePosted 3/10/2014 8:38:43 PM
Terrible interface (really... one of the worst interfaces I can imagine for a game of that type)
Bugs galore - many of them game-destroying and requiring you to start a brand new game
Reduced options and flexibility
Poor production value on things like voice acting (seems very unprofessional)
Poor optimization/performance
No joystick support - seriously? in a space sim?

Basically, it boils down to them having stripped out everything that made the X series good, throwing in some bizarre choices instead, and topping it off with a heaping portion of unfinished, game-breaking bugginess.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23