This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's so great about Mount and Blade Warband? Need opinions

#41TowerBooks3192Posted 3/11/2014 7:51:35 AM
BigB0ss13 posted...
God damn this game hella hard. I started 6 new games but everytime I get pwned really badly. Any tips on how to rise up to take over the world?

Start small, ensure your peasant rabble are battle hardened troops before anything else. Have a look at your leadership as it would determine how many men you could command. As others have said, Swadian Knights all day everyday. Never fight all the factions and choose wisely. Check some trade route guides so you have money, I usually start in Swadia and get some ale(those barrels) in praven then go to the steppes and get salt and spice then go to the vaegir cities to get some iron and then up north to the cheapest silk. I forgot the city names but I know how to do my route once I play. Its just something on the back of my head that I could not write down.

I would also suggest registering on the talesworld forums since you can also get a non-steam copy where you could use your key in case you don't like steam.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#42maybecallsPosted 3/11/2014 8:00:17 AM
I'm not really bothered about defeating everyone in my ongoing game. My character (one Tom Scum) is always getting captured and escaping, and veering from riches to poverty. It isn't beneath him to force a surly male NPC to wear a dress and go into battle armed only with a few rocks. He's a free spirit who will single-handedly cheerfully butcher the entire population of any village that dares to stand up to his demands for bread and cheese.
#43SinisterSlayPosted 3/11/2014 8:03:21 AM(edited)
TowerBooks3192 posted...
BigB0ss13 posted...
God damn this game hella hard. I started 6 new games but everytime I get pwned really badly. Any tips on how to rise up to take over the world?

Start small, ensure your peasant rabble are battle hardened troops before anything else. Have a look at your leadership as it would determine how many men you could command. As others have said, Swadian Knights all day everyday. Never fight all the factions and choose wisely. Check some trade route guides so you have money, I usually start in Swadia and get some ale(those barrels) in praven then go to the steppes and get salt and spice then go to the vaegir cities to get some iron and then up north to the cheapest silk. I forgot the city names but I know how to do my route once I play. Its just something on the back of my head that I could not write down.

I would also suggest registering on the talesworld forums since you can also get a non-steam copy where you could use your key in case you don't like steam.

In addition, don't join a faction immediately or you'll be drawn into wars.
If you want to avoid bandits and focus on trade, just build up an army of farmers, don't upgrade them, and run around with them. Bandits avoid you if you have more army than them, even if your army is pathetic.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#44chandl34Posted 3/11/2014 8:02:48 AM(edited)
For you first playthrough, I highly recommend joining a faction instead of trying to be an independent nation. Hunt bandits for new armor. Sea Raiders give the best gear. Fight tournaments for money.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#45clowningPosted 3/11/2014 9:04:17 AM
Hmm...

1) Absolutely the best combat system I have ever seen in an RPG of any kind. Pole weapons are used correctly, as are various types of swords. You can slash, thrust, and weapons do differing amount of damage based on weapon type and type of attack.

Along with all of this, the game has great mounted combat.

Huge variety of weapons.

Active directional blocking with swords, shields, etc.

Shield bashing.

2) You begin the game as a nobody, broke, and can hire troops, build a force, acquire land through various means.

3) Villages you acquire provide tax revenue, and can be upgraded with various buildings

4) You can acquire fortress cities, which can house troops and additional buildings can be constructed to improve the city.

5) You can command your troops on the battlefield, giving different commands to different troop types (mounted, ranged, infantry), while engaged in the fight yourself, fighting and giving out orders

6) You can do quests for different lords in the game.

7) You can join a faction and rise in the ranks, even becoming the war marshall and leading huge battles against the enemy.

8) There is a limited form of siege warfare, climbing ladders to get inside castles

9) You can create your own faction, becoming king.

10) You can recruit heroes who level as you do, and can be equipped as you see fit. Some heroes do not get along with others, though, and might leave you.

11) You can capture enemy lords, throw them in a prison if you have one in a fortress city, and ransom him back for gold. Or keep him in prison, where he might escape at some point. Or execute him.

Really, the list goes on. M&B:W is a sandbox RPG like no other RPG you have played. There are also mods, if you are into that sort of thing, and online play. This game is easily one of the greatest games ever created in the history of video games.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#46Fazeo13Posted 3/11/2014 10:29:15 AM
I want to like it but it is just so cheap looking, like an early 2000 game. The whole game just feels cheap, nothing really excels. nothing grabs me I tried to like it but eh. If you ever played a mod for game that feels underdeveloped and lacking, not really fleshed out, that same type of feeling. Might as well play D&D..

The combat feels floaty and off and the hits are not meaty solid hits. Just can't get into it.
---
You aren't even really reading my posts; you're just staring at your e-mail client and fondly reminiscing about that hobo you stabbed to death. :P
#47SinisterSlayPosted 3/11/2014 10:36:34 AM
Fazeo13 posted...
I want to like it but it is just so cheap looking, like an early 2000 game. The whole game just feels cheap, nothing really excels. nothing grabs me I tried to like it but eh. If you ever played a mod for game that feels underdeveloped and lacking, not really fleshed out, that same type of feeling. Might as well play D&D..

The combat feels floaty and off and the hits are not meaty solid hits. Just can't get into it.

Wrong thread, I think you wanted the unpopular opinions thread.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/68755153
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#48chandl34Posted 3/11/2014 10:38:20 AM
Lightning Returns is probably more up your alley.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#49maybecallsPosted 3/11/2014 10:54:56 AM
Fazeo13 posted...

That's pretty much the opposite of what I think. I find the combat in Warband much more satisfying than in any other melee/archery based game I've played.
#50Fazeo13Posted 3/11/2014 11:00:28 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Fazeo13 posted...

Wrong thread, I think you wanted the unpopular opinions thread.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/68755153

Go to metacritic and read the user reviews you'll find a lot of people who thought the game was crap. It's a jack of all trades but a master of none of them. The quality is just not there imho. Wonky hitboxes, barren places, terrible ai etc etc. I just can't like it but by zod I tried.
---
You aren't even really reading my posts; you're just staring at your e-mail client and fondly reminiscing about that hobo you stabbed to death. :P