This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's so great about Mount and Blade Warband? Need opinions

#51chandl34Posted 3/11/2014 12:16:43 PM(edited)
Fazeo13 posted...

Go to metacritic and read the user reviews you'll find a lot of people who thought the game was crap. It's a jack of all trades but a master of none of them. The quality is just not there imho. Wonky hitboxes, barren places, terrible ai etc etc. I just can't like it but by zod I tried.

Can you give an example of a similar game with a better combat engine?

Btw, your weapon actually has to animate through the enemy for it to be a hit. If you're too close, you'll hit with the hilt.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#52SinisterSlayPosted 3/11/2014 12:24:49 PM(edited)
chandl34 posted...
Fazeo13 posted...

Go to metacritic and read the user reviews you'll find a lot of people who thought the game was crap. It's a jack of all trades but a master of none of them. The quality is just not there imho. Wonky hitboxes, barren places, terrible ai etc etc. I just can't like it but by zod I tried.

Can you give an example of a similar game with a better combat engine?

Btw, your weapon actually has to animate through the enemy for it to be a hit. If you're too close, you'll hit with the hilt.

Ignore him, his answer didn't help the TC in any way, no need to keep bumping an off topic post.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#53BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 1:13:14 PM(edited)
Can you guys tell me what are things I can be like be a king, hired mercenary, merchant, etc. and how I should start off so I know what I should focus on? Also what are the options I should choose for my background when I create a new character? And what attributes I should focus on?
#54SinisterSlayPosted 3/11/2014 1:12:39 PM
BigB0ss13 posted...
Can you guys tell me what are things I can be like be a king, hired mercenary, etc. and how I should start off off so I know what I should focus on? Also what are the options I should choose for my background when I create a new character? And what attributes I should focus on?

It's a sandbox, you can't go wrong. You should play it your way.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#55chandl34Posted 3/11/2014 1:21:43 PM(edited)
This is the best site I've seen for a guides.
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mount%26Blade:_Warband

There's a character creation chart here.
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mount%26Blade/Character_creation

You can have your own kingdom (that was one of the major new features in Warband), you can be a mercenary, you can become a lord for another faction and be granted a fief. You can rebel against your current faction and bring other lords to your side (either as leader or helping an exiled leader). You can be a noble hero who travels the land breaking lords out of jail. You can be a trader, or a business owner (ala Vice City).

One thing you want to check out is how "party skills" work.
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mount%26Blade/Skills

Give your leader party skills that will be most beneficial to the group, keeping in mind that your leader is always the last to fall in a battle, and injured party members cannot use party skills.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#56EasylePosted 3/11/2014 1:55:33 PM
If you ever wanted to lead an army into battle, this is the best game to do that. Also has incredible mods. Try Napoleonic Wars.
#57Ikari GendoPosted 3/11/2014 6:09:03 PM
BigB0ss13 posted...
Can you guys tell me what are things I can be like be a king, hired mercenary, merchant, etc. and how I should start off so I know what I should focus on? Also what are the options I should choose for my background when I create a new character? And what attributes I should focus on?

You can be all of those things. If you focus your starting skills on trade stuff (high int and merchant stats), you can amass money early to get good equipment. You won't die even easily with low stats since armor means a lot (glancing blows and whatnot), and then you can level up. Money can allow you to get townspeople to join you and you can raise an army. Win tournaments to get your honor up. Ally with a faction (I find Swadia the easiest, but not necessarily the most fun). Proceed to conquer the world with the king, or at some point betray him and take over the world yourself. It's not a quick game though... there's a reason many of us have hundreds of hours (though usually that's either multiple playthroughs or multiplayer.

When all else fails, get one of many dozens of total conversion mods.

If you're interested in it, get Napoleonic Wars DLC. I play that more than the mods nowadays

When that fails, wait for Mount and Blade 2 news that takes ever so slowly.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#58TimePharaohPosted 3/11/2014 6:14:16 PM
-Buys a sandbox game, asks other people exactly how he should do everything

Sounds like you bought the wrong game go buy Skyrim.
#59BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 9:10:25 PM
Man the f***ing cattle quests are driving me f***ing crazy! I don't know how the hell to control their ass and lead them to the place I need them to go
#60TowerBooks3192Posted 3/12/2014 2:58:00 AM
BigB0ss13 posted...
Man the f***ing cattle quests are driving me f***ing crazy! I don't know how the hell to control their ass and lead them to the place I need them to go

Also confused by this cattle quest. I tend to avoid them and just do the usual bandit and hunting quests but not the cattle ones. I think (not sure though) it is fixed in some of the mods but I just avoid them.

Since most MnB guys are checking this thread, I just want to insert this question, in terms of difficulty, which is easier, Pendor or Brytenwalda?
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower