The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why can't they have a Batman game with a completely Open-world Gotham City?

#1AllmatteredPosted 3/10/2014 9:28:27 PM
And no, not like the upcoming Arkham Knight's open world city that is void of life. I'm talking about Gotham like it should be normally, where there's cars on the roads and civilians walking about in the streets. Of course there's the worry the player would just do things Batman wouldn't do, like running about or killing random pedestrains but they could put a restriction on that.
I mean just look at the Amazing Spiderman for example; another superhero game but unlike Batman, the game lets you roam about a normal looking New York City and walk on the streets and interact with civilians. If you can do that, why not implement the same thing for Batman Arkham games?
#2CatToyPosted 3/10/2014 9:46:40 PM(edited)
Batman has a bit of a problem in the "getting around the city without being suspicious, silly, or destructive" department when compared to Spider Man.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#3jakisthePosted 3/10/2014 9:46:03 PM
Because there's little way to put a restriction on doing un-Batmanly things (beating up random people, being seen just walking around town, blowing up cop cars) without it seemingly incredibly artificial.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#4Benjamin_ButtonPosted 3/10/2014 9:48:30 PM
batman games will always take place at night time only so all the civilians lock themselves home asleep because the night is dark and full of terrors
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#5Flaktrooper123Posted 3/10/2014 10:31:12 PM
Because Gotham City is Chicago, they can't let you do that can they
#6calcyclePosted 3/10/2014 10:34:18 PM
Flaktrooper123 posted...
Because Gotham City is Chicago, they can't let you do that can they

And Chicago is the basis for Watch Dogs, so in a way Watch Dogs takes place in Gotham City.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#7Golden MavenPosted 3/11/2014 12:41:55 AM
batman and robin on the PS1 was open world
#8TimePharaohPosted 3/11/2014 1:07:19 AM
Are you asking why Batman doesn't walk around the streets talking to people offering to pickup groceries for side quests?

Terrible topic
#9MyDogSkipPosted 3/11/2014 1:09:57 AM
I'm no expert on superheroes and comics and whatnot, but I think it's far more common for Spiderman to run around the city in full view of pedestrians than it is for Batman.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz | ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | ASUS DCII GTX 670 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Antec EA-650W | 120GB Intel 520 | 1TB HDD | Corsair 400R | Hyper 212+ | 2560x1440
#10kingoffpsPosted 3/11/2014 2:24:15 AM
Silly idea. What's the point in having civilians that you can't actually interact with. Batman can't hurt civilians, and shouldn't be able to run them over with a Batmobile.

Not just that. As someone else pointed, the point is that his whole character is based around fear and sneaking up on villians. If he ran around in full view constantly like Spiderman then that would undermine the point.

The current paradigm is the best one. Open world with some flimsy excuse for why there are no people on the streets (even if it stretches belief a bit) but with the occasional person being mugged and in need of assistance.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...