This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, GOG dropped regional pricing.

#11arleasPosted 3/11/2014 11:54:55 AM(edited)
In the case of places like Australia where they pay more simply because they used to have to pay more, it's not being a cheapskate... it's only being fair.

I kinda understand regional pricing, but in some cases there's no good reason for it.

Now if they can drop the antiquated notion of new games = $60 that would be great.

There's absolutely NO good reason for a digital copy to cost the same as a physical copy.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#12jokujokujokuPosted 3/11/2014 12:04:37 PM
arleas posted...
Now if they can drop the antiquated notion of new games = $60 that would be great.

There's absolutely NO good reason for a digital copy to cost the same as a physical copy.

Retailers refusing to sell physical copies if digital copies are sold for less isn't a good reason?
#13WyzeGye(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 12:07:29 PM
jokujokujoku posted...

Retailers refusing to sell physical copies if digital copies are sold for less isn't a good reason?

I feel that something like this wouldnt stand up if the publishers took it to court.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#14jokujokujokuPosted 3/11/2014 12:21:30 PM
WyzeGye posted...
jokujokujoku posted...

I feel that something like this wouldnt stand up if the publishers took it to court.

You're suggesting that businesses don't have the right to choose what they do and do not sell. That's absurd.
#15OmniNakagoPosted 3/11/2014 12:23:16 PM
WyzeGye posted...
jokujokujoku posted...

Sure it would. Net neutrality, the Comcast/Time Warner merger, and the recent development in the Aereo case, are all current examples of how much courts are in the pockets of big business.
---
"God is a comedian, playing to an audience that is too afraid to laugh." -Voltaire
steamcommunity.com/id/nepenthes / twitter.com/epolsen
#16WyzeGye(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 12:23:52 PM
jokujokujoku posted...
WyzeGye posted...
jokujokujoku posted...

You're suggesting that businesses don't have the right to choose what they do and do not sell. That's absurd.

as far as antitrust and monopoly laws go, i'm not so sure.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#17SonyHoundDawgPosted 3/11/2014 12:44:09 PM
While it is logical to think digital games should cost less, its not really true.

When manufacturing a video game, especially a popular one and are printing millions of copies, the cost of a cd, box and manual (lol if these still exist) are very very low. Prolly like 2 bucks tops. Anyways if your doing it right, you should even be getting at least 15%-20% off new games through pre ordering or something If you were planning on getting at launch.
#18CourtofOwlsPosted 3/11/2014 12:47:57 PM
"This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3."

i thought the same people that owned cdprojekt owned gog so why wouldn't they be able to get flat pricing on the witcher 3?
---
[?]
Boycott Best Buy!
#19LoshadtPosted 3/11/2014 12:50:05 PM(edited)
SonyHoundDawg posted...
While it is logical to think digital games should cost less, its not really true.

It's absolutely true. When publishing a game digitally you are bypassing the obligatory cut retailers take on the sales, which means more money in your pockets. Now why on earth would I buy a digital copy for the same price as a physical copy? Logically it's perfectly sound to make the assertion that digital games should cost less than retail games.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#20El MagnificoPosted 3/11/2014 12:58:40 PM
CourtofOwls posted...
"This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3."

i thought the same people that owned cdprojekt owned gog so why wouldn't they be able to get flat pricing on the witcher 3?

CD Projekt uses a third party to publish the game in some regions. For those regions the publisher is probably going to charge whatever they feel is necessary rather than create parity with CD Projekt's pricing in the regions they have control over.