This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can I lower my Ping on my computer.

#1TekutsoPosted 3/12/2014 4:50:34 AM
A lot of things I've read say "get a better connection" and that is the only answer, but here is the dilemma. The same connection I've had for about a year, stays a steady 90ish ping. A couple months ago when I would play games it stayed at a steady 200, for like a month, before I ran a full scan on my computer and got rid of some files and bam, it was back down to 90. Now, it has shot back up to 200 and I've tried running scans and its just not working... Is there anything I can do to get this ping back down?
---
I'm pretty much a god, team sucks though
If I had 5 of me, we would have been season 3 world champions
#2ChetyrePosted 3/12/2014 5:00:56 AM
get a better connection.

Sorry, but pings are mostly dependant on your ISP. Very rarely is it something on your side. You can try to do a tracert or other tests to check if you are the cause. just open a prompt and type "tracert www.google.com" without the quotes.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#3Branmuffin316Posted 3/12/2014 5:42:50 PM
Download more ram.
#4PsythikPosted 3/12/2014 5:46:25 PM
Get a better connection.

If you're on DSL there's a feature your ISP can turn off (if you get the right tech) that'll lower ping at the expense of potential packet loss. Totally forgot what it's called, though.
---
4670K | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#5Blobs_Posted 3/12/2014 5:52:17 PM
Play on servers closer to you? :P
---
is haha
#6TimePharaohPosted 3/12/2014 5:55:26 PM
www.betterping.com/extensions
#7R_BrockPosted 3/12/2014 6:06:39 PM
Tekutso posted...
A couple months ago when I would play games it stayed at a steady 200, for like a month, before I ran a full scan on my computer and got rid of some files and bam, it was back down to 90.

That was probably a coincidence.

You should call your ISP, they're really the ones who can help with that. It could be something on their end, it could be critter chewing on your outside cables, you could have screwed something up on your router I guess. Are other people also using the connection, or are you the sole user?

And even then, it could just be the servers you happen to be playing on are having their own issues. There's a lot of variables that determine ping. You're naive if you think it's something you can ever control solely from your end or is governed solely by the condition of your computer.
---
http://awfulcontent.com my perpetually unfinished website.
#8zerodefectPosted 3/12/2014 8:32:53 PM
Psythik posted...
Get a better connection.

If you're on DSL there's a feature your ISP can turn off (if you get the right tech) that'll lower ping at the expense of potential packet loss. Totally forgot what it's called, though.

Your likely referring to fast path vs interleaved profiles. If you're on DSL, request to be put on fast path profile if your line can support it.
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#9PsythikPosted 3/13/2014 7:44:26 AM
zerodefect posted...
Psythik posted...
Get a better connection.

Your likely referring to fast path vs interleaved profiles. If you're on DSL, request to be put on fast path profile if your line can support it.
Yeah, interleaving. That's the term I was looking for.
---
4670K | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg