This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to change an icon to a picture?

#1gldooriiPosted 3/12/2014 10:11:33 AM
Like... I have a folder full of files and I'd like to change each one to have its own specific picture. Kinda like, when you go into iTunes and right click a movie and give it artwork, the picture of the file itself on your computer will change to that artwork image. I'd like to do that with other files, but can't figure out how.

Does that make sense?

I can't find anywhere to do that.
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#2foodeater4Posted 3/12/2014 10:14:44 AM
usually right click on a folder, customize and play with the options there.
#3someflamablekidPosted 3/12/2014 10:19:07 AM
Gotta convert your picture into a .ico. Lots of websites wi do it for you. Then just go to properties > customize and you should be able to figure it out.
#4gldoorii(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 10:21:07 AM
Yea, I saw that, but I'm trying to give the file itself a new picture, not the folder. For example, if I have a bunch of .rar files and instead of them all having the default winrar icon, I want it give each one its own individual picture. Can that even be done? I know it can for video files, but can it for other things?
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#5KillerTrufflePosted 3/12/2014 10:27:52 AM
An icon IS a picture already.

I actually don't quite understand what you're trying to do, but if you want icons to be usable as a .jpg or something, you can convert them. A .ico file is nothing more than a .bmp or .png. In most cases, you can literally just change the suffix from .ico to .bmp, and then use whatever graphics program (i.e. MS Paint) to open it and save as whatever file type you want, such as .jpg. Keep in mind you're not going to magically end up with a higher resolution image - that is physically impossible.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6gldoorii(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 10:37:18 AM
Here, hope this helps..

http://i.imgur.com/E8HgZVe.png

Here's an example. It's a rar file and another file that has the blank default icon. Yes, I know these are the icon images for these types of files, but I want to change them and when I right click each one and go to Properties there is no customize option like if I were to right click a folder. I can't figure out how to edit the individual icon picture.
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#7KillerTrufflePosted 3/12/2014 10:38:53 AM
Ooohhhh... wait. You want to actually change the icon shown for various other files? That's a totally different thing, and I don't think it's going to work the way you're asking. You don't have file-by-file control over the icon shown for any given file. Icons shown in Windows are based on file types and the programs used to open them. You typically *can* change the icon for a file type, but all files with that same extension will change in that case.

As an alternative, you can create a folder with nothing but shortcuts to each file you want to reference - you'll have to make the shortcuts yourself. With shortcuts, you have full control over what icon is shown on an individual basis, regardless of file type. You can customize the look of shortcuts all you want, but the files themselves, not so much.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#8gldoorii(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 10:41:21 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Ooohhhh... wait. You want to actually change the icon shown for various other files? That's a totally different thing, and I don't think it's going to work the way you're asking. You don't have file-by-file control over the icon shown for any given file. Icons shown in Windows are based on file types and the programs used to open them. You typically *can* change the icon for a file type, but all files with that same extension will change in that case.

As an alternative, you can create a folder with nothing but shortcuts to each file you want to reference - you'll have to make the shortcuts yourself. With shortcuts, you have full control over what icon is shown on an individual basis, regardless of file type. You can customize the look of shortcuts all you want, but the files themselves, not so much.

Oh ok, yea, I didn't think about doing it that way lol. I assumed I could change the source icon but shortcuts would work fine too. I can edit those. Thanks again.
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#9Ch3wyPosted 3/12/2014 10:42:28 AM
As far as I know you can only do that for folders and certain media files.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001