This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In need of help with router settings. Complete noob at this type of stuff.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. In need of help with router settings. Complete noob at this type of stuff.
1 year ago#1
Hello. After two days of searching for tutorials online and trying to follow them (to no avail) I turn here, hoping someone will be able to help me.

I am trying to establish a Static IP Address on my Xbox One and open the ports necessary to change my NAT type from Strict to Open. All of the tutorials I've found do not seem to help me though. They assume I know more than I actually do. I messed it up so bad I had to call tech support from my internet provider and have them remotely fix my router. I don't want this to happen again, but I want to get better connections.

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain to me in the absolute simplest way possible (or direct me to a pre-written, impossible to screw up guide) as to how to do this.

I'm not really sure what all information you need, so here is what I think is the pertinent stuff.

Xbox One current on updates.
Laptop running Windows 8.1
Netgear Router model B90 - 755044 - 15

If it matters at all, I know how to open ipconfig/all but do not know what information I am looking for on this page in order to follow the instructions I've been given. I also know how to open up the page for my router settings and navigate around it, but cannot figure out how to open ports.

If someone could please assist me with this, I would be greatly appreciative. And please, act like you're explaining this to a five year old. I'm tired of screwing my settings up. I just want to be able to play games again.

Thank you very, very much, in advance.
---
XBL GamerTag - Crexlarth
Currently Playing Forza Motorsport 5, add me for drivatar races
1 year ago#2
Alright so I managed to successfully establish a Static IP. Now I just need to open my ports. Anyone? Please?
---
Sent from my iPhone 5s via PowerFAQs 1.14
1 year ago#3
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/B90-755044-15/Xbox_Live_360.htm

Does that help?
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
1 year ago#4
Unfortunately it does not. That is the exact page I have open on the left side of my screen to follow as a guide. The instructions and screenshots do not match what is displayed on my router information page. Or whatever you would call it... I was hoping to find instructions that had the same information displayed as what I am seeing. I cannot say for sure, but it seems like that information is outdated or something, as if they have updated the router or changed the way it is accessed.

For what it's worth, I appreciate that you are trying to help, and I hope that I can get assistance with completing this, because I'm getting quite frustrated. I just got off the phone with Tech Support from my internet provider (again) hoping they would be able to help me, but I was informed that opening or forwarding ports is something they are not allowed to assist customers with.

I don't know if this will help anyone who is willing to assist me or not, but about 1/3 to 1/2 down the page it tells me to click "Add". (I am referring to the link provided above, to portforwarding.com) and instead of what it shows me I should be seeing, I see the following. Sorry for the bad quality, I just snapped a photo with my phone. I wasn't really sure how else to get a picture here. I hope it's still decent enough that someone can figure my problem out.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/Crexlarth/Mobile%20Uploads/E2A4077D-8CEC-4CDD-959C-CB10A2AA4F7F.jpg
---
XBL GamerTag - Crexlarth
1 year ago#5
Well then the difficult part is finding where the port fowarding section is. I cannot help with that, and I doubt anyone will be able to. You apparently have a router/modem combo, which most people will not be familiar with enough to be able to guide you through at the top of their head. Find that section in your router settings. Start from there. That guide shows you exactly what ports to open up. At least find the correct section first.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
1 year ago#6
I edited my last post to (hopefully) illustrate where my confusion comes from, and feel that perhaps it is worth mentioning an option I have called "Static NAT". I haven't explored it, as I have absolutely no idea what it is, and as I mentioned, do not want to screw anything up.

Do you think it's possible there could be something in there that would fix my problem?
---
XBL GamerTag - Crexlarth
1 year ago#7
So it looks like you are in the correct area. You are looking for something similar to what is in the guide, near the bottom. Something where you can specify what ports to open. What does the "create" button do? Does it go to a page that lets you create a new port fowarding rule? And you can specify what ports? TCP/UDP, etc?
---
1 year ago#8
When I click create it has three boxes. The first says to enter a name for the custom service. The second allows me to select port forwarding or port triggering. And the third says define the first rule and has a selectable protocol (tcp, udp, or both) and then requires that I enter something for global portstart, global portend, and base hostport. Below that are apply and cancel buttons.

If it would help at all I would be happy to upload a picture of anything you need to help. Thank you so very much for your time.
---
1 year ago#9
Anything for adding a specific number? According to the guide for Xbox Live 360 you need to open up certain ports, such as TCP 53, 80, etc. You should need to add a rule for each port.
---
1 year ago#10
Nothing that I can see anywhere. Therein lies my confusion. I was able with no problems to accomplish this on my xbox 360 and my ps3 (when I used to have them) with no problems following a guide. But that was with a different internet provider and a different modem. Or router. Or whatever it is. I don't know what the difference is lol.
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. In need of help with router settings. Complete noob at this type of stuff.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived