This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In need of help with router settings. Complete noob at this type of stuff.

#21Moon_Struck(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 10:18:25 PM
I unplugged it because the xbox told me to. Lol. Shouldn't have listened this time I guess. Up until the point I did I was connected fine on all my devices. I'm going to try to plug my computer in with an Ethernet cable and see if I can delete those settings and redo them as dynamic, unless you think that would be a bad idea?
---
Sent from my iPhone 5s via PowerFAQs 1.14
#22SlaynPosted 3/12/2014 10:20:07 PM
I would try dynamic then. I don't see why it would effect your wifi one way or another...
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#23Moon_Struck(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 10:25:09 PM
Me either... The red light is by the word internet on the router. I assume this signifies that I am able to connect to the router but I am unable to connect to the internet. Even with the computer plugged in with Ethernet I'm unable to load my router page. It tells me I'm not connected to a network.

The router has a button on it with two arrows going in a circle. Maybe refresh or reset? Think that would help? Or any other ideas? If not I could call tech support again and have them remotely fix it again. This is way out of my expertise.
---
#24Moon_Struck(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 10:31:03 PM
Before I did anything I ran the troubleshooter on my computer and these two problems were found.

Problem with wireless adapter or access point and "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid ip configuration.

I have no idea what any of that means.

What the hell happened to things being easy? I remember a time when I was able to just plug stuff in and it worked as intended. I didn't have to jump through hoops to get stuff to function. Lol.
---
#25SlaynPosted 3/12/2014 10:33:12 PM
So you can't connect to the router at all to change settings? All you can do is reset it at that point.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#26Moon_Struck(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 10:36:28 PM
Would that be that button I mentioned then? Or is that the call tech support thing?
---
#27SlaynPosted 3/12/2014 10:38:24 PM(edited)
You can try the button, but I am not sure if you need to do anything else to set up the router to work. Why did you set up a static IP anyway?
---
#28Moon_Struck(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 10:50:20 PM
Because my nat type (on the Xbox One) was moderate or strict as opposed to open. It changed randomly which caused connectivity problems when attempting to play dead rising 3, call of duty ghosts, or titanfall. When I looked online it said to fix the issue I should establish a static ip and open those ports.

I screwed it up bad quite a few times and it required me to call tech support and have them fix it. When I asked if they could help me set up a static ip for it they told me they couldn't unless I purchased a business internet package instead of a home internet package. So I said screw it I'll keep trying. They also (as I mentioned) d me they couldn't help with opening ports.

So here I now sit making things worse.

I'm not sure what that button did. I pushed it and then all the lights went red for about a minute. Then all the lights went green as if it was fine again. Now I'm back to where it looks normal except the internet light is red again.

I wonder if they've grown tired of me yet, lol.
---
#29Moon_Struck(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2014 11:31:52 PM
I made a mess somehow I think. I don't really know what it means, but I just got off the phone with tech support again and the problem is what he called a line issue. Whatever that is. I've got a technician coming to fix it sometime later today. With any luck I can sweet talk this guy into opening these ports for me... Odds are he knows more about it than I do.

I want to again thank you for helping me, and apologize for having wasted your time.
---
#30SlaynPosted 3/13/2014 12:55:15 AM
If he said it's a line issue, it isn't anything you did.... sounds like a crappy service and router. If I were you I would switch to something better if I had the opportunity.
---