This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you dudes recommend me audiophile speakers?

#1BigB0ss13Posted 3/13/2014 1:16:46 AM(edited)
I haven't used speakers in a decade and a half and at that time I didn't even know the word audiophile existed so I didn't know how amazing music can sound. Right now I have the Asgard 2 and Uber Bifrost with the HE 500 and been using that combination for months now but feel like going back to speakers and changing things up when I don't feel like using my phones. Can you guys recommend me audiophile speakers that are 6" wide or less? My table is super small. I could only fit one 6" or less speaker, monitor and case on it. And when I get my speakers I will be forced to put one of them on top of my case and the other right next to my monitor. Budget is $500 or less. Also would I need any other equipment like amp for the speakers to make them better or can I just plug it in and be set? Not familiar with speakers
#2Freakwave003Posted 3/13/2014 1:20:04 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Vanatoo-Transparent-One-Powered-Speakers/dp/B0080K2KUK/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1394698763&sr=1-4&keywords=computer+speakers
---
i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz | GA-Z77-D3H | Corsair H100i | 16GB HyperX Beast | ASUS GTX 770 | Intel 520 SSD | Seasonic 660w Platinum | Corsair 500r
#3Flaktrooper123Posted 3/13/2014 1:51:01 AM
For music audiophile, I suggest go for 2.0 sets rather than 2.1 sets. It might be inferior to 2.1 set of the same price in bass volume, but give you more accurate sound. That is unless you are listening to Hip Hop and Hard Trance all the time.

But, since you are willing to spend $500, just go big. Not too big with your desk constraints of course. If you use self amplified studio monitors, like KRK Rokit, then you need an amp since all the plugs are manual, unless your soundcard already support it. But, it is easier to just get a powered 2.0 set.

My recommendation, i think Swans M200MKiii, see if it is too big, but this thing is badass. Otherwise Swans D1080-IV.
#4BigB0ss13(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 3:08:14 AM
Flaktrooper123 posted...
For music audiophile, I suggest go for 2.0 sets rather than 2.1 sets. It might be inferior to 2.1 set of the same price in bass volume, but give you more accurate sound. That is unless you are listening to Hip Hop and Hard Trance all the time.

But, since you are willing to spend $500, just go big. Not too big with your desk constraints of course. If you use self amplified studio monitors, like KRK Rokit, then you need an amp since all the plugs are manual, unless your soundcard already support it. But, it is easier to just get a powered 2.0 set.

My recommendation, i think Swans M200MKiii, see if it is too big, but this thing is badass. Otherwise Swans D1080-IV.

Like I said I cant go more than 6" in width even if I wanted to
#5Flaktrooper123Posted 3/13/2014 8:08:26 AM
Yeah, that is why I said check first. If you don't mind tiny things like Creative Gigaworks T40, you can get that. But I am not sure how satisfied you are going to be. And I suggest move the PC case to the floor or a side table if possible because unbalanced positioning is going to mess with your soundstage. And I think the D1080-IV and the speakers the other guy suggested is pretty small for me. Also Edifier E30, this thing has small footprints, but are quite tall.

If you really need it to be 2.1 because of space constraints, you can check Bose Companion 5, Swans M50W, Thonet & Vander Ratsel, and Klipsch Promedia. But you are going to need to put that subwoofer somewhere.

Alternatively, you can get speaker stands.
#6zhenghanPosted 3/13/2014 8:15:08 AM(edited)
Audioengine A2+
4 x 5.2 x 6 inches ; 6.6 pounds
http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-A2-Premium-Powered-Speakers/dp/B00DQMJE7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394723587&sr=8-1&keywords=audioengine+a2

Only $250.
---
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish
#7r0ge00Posted 3/13/2014 8:18:03 AM
Can you maybe fit 6.25"? The new Airmotiv 4s just came out and they look even better than the originals. I have the originals and they sound excellent.
#8SuigintouEVPosted 3/13/2014 8:44:51 AM(edited)
Most good speakers targeted toward audio enthusiasts are gonna be passive and require an amp of some sort. These:

www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair

Are pretty good. A Dayton DTA-1 will have plenty of power to amplify them.

There are powered studio monitors but they tend to be a bit larger and pricier - JBL LSR2325s for example are excellent. i don't know what your budget is.

If you've got woodworking skills, I recommend putting them to work and building a DIY kit. These:
meniscusaudio.com/sopranos-pair-p-1369.html
Or
meniscusaudio.com/stance-pair-p-1353.html

Ought to blow you away.

You are going to have to spend more if you want a turnkey high end solution. The Salk WOW1:
www.salksound.com/wow1%20-%20home.htm
And Salk SILK
www.salksound.com/silk%20-%20home.htm

Come to mind. Of course with Salk it'a totally custom, so they could tailor fit something to your needs. Basically think of PC brands like Falcon Northwest... The product you're getting is truly high end.

As for subwoofers, let me know if you want to go that route. Implemented correctly a good subwoofer can really add to the experience. Getting them implemented correctly can take some work and the right tools for the job.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#9Vs1991Posted 3/13/2014 8:46:36 AM
dont get pc speakers. get a cambridge audio amp and a pair of klipsch speakers
#10aak57Posted 3/13/2014 8:47:08 AM
Is there a head-fi equivalent for speakers?
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.