This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Planet Explorers - what is the appeal?

#1Jason_25Posted 3/13/2014 2:55:55 AM
I am having trouble getting into this Steam top-seller. It seems like a game with a nice concept but confusing execution and lack of focus.

Negatives:
Have to switch from 1st person to 3rd person to interact with menus
Combat animations are missing in 1st person
Enemy strength cannot be ascertained easily
Build system requires tedious gathering of resources - not doing this unless someone pays me
Build system is very complicated - there are "errors" you must correct somehow
Build system lacks quick keys for symmetry / snap in place / rotation
Build system has a limited area size for assembly
Lack of a leveling system- not sure how it can be an rpg without leveling
Poor 1km view distance - actual view distance is even less with annoying popups
Very bland terrain unlike what is shown in screenshots - slow to get around without vehicles
Too many game modes - confusing and they all require starting a new character

Positives
Pretty visuals
Create what you want in theory
Large open world
Good enemy variety
Runs stable

Like many games today, it seems like a game that is interesting for a view minutes then gets boring. I think Cube World does a better job in the RPG department and Kerbal Space Program does a better job in the building department. What do you think?
#2Benjamin_ButtonPosted 3/13/2014 2:57:10 AM
Negatives:
Not TITANFALL.
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#3snesmaster40Posted 3/13/2014 7:18:19 AM
Isn't it early access?
---
Are we not men?
#4MonkeymagePosted 3/13/2014 8:50:37 AM
I believe the appeal is that you can explore planets.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#5Jason_25(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 10:30:36 AM
snesmaster40 posted...
Isn't it early access?

It is but it has been in development for over 2 years. The games I compared it to are also in alpha but have been in development for years.
#6arleasPosted 3/13/2014 10:55:15 AM
Maybe you should post this on the forums dedicated to that game so the developers can take your criticism and maybe start working on fixing those things?
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#7Jason_25(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 11:25:49 AM
arleas posted...
Maybe you should post this on the forums dedicated to that game so the developers can take your criticism and maybe start working on fixing those things?

Sometimes I am so at odds with a game that I don't want to be part of their "community". Maybe when I get over the bad feelings I have with it right now.
#8MonkeymagePosted 3/13/2014 12:15:53 PM
"I bought an early access game but I hate it and I don't want to be part of the development process which is really the point of buying an early access game so now I'm going to go complain."

gg bro
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#9protools1983Posted 3/13/2014 12:19:34 PM
Benjamin_Button posted...
Positives:
Not TITANFALL.

---
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?
#10Jason_25(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 1:49:35 PM
Monkeymage posted...
"I bought an early access game but I hate it and I don't want to be part of the development process which is really the point of buying an early access game so now I'm going to go complain."

gg bro

The point of buying the game for me was I was bored. If they want to pay me then by all means I will happily contribute.