This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Weird buzzing when I plug into one of my USB ports

#1JirynPosted 3/13/2014 5:18:29 PM
I use a USB headset and have 3 front mounted USB ports.

I thought they both worked fine, but when I plug into the furthest right (which has a unique face plate then the other two) there is a loud humming sound..

Would it be an electric feedback?
Here is my case http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=693&fid=4
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#2PhilOnDezPosted 3/13/2014 5:20:16 PM
Do you have your cellphone near your computer? I can always tell when I'm about to get a text because my speakers start buzzing.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3PsythikPosted 3/13/2014 5:21:21 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
Do you have your cellphone near your computer? I can always tell when I'm about to get a text because my speakers start buzzing.
How old is your phone? I haven't heard that sound in a looong time.
---
4670K | 2GB GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Win8.1 Pro
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/S26DG44B/PsythikViolet_Blooded.jpg
#4Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 5:22:00 PM
PhilOnDez posted...

3ft away from my PC
The buzzing is only in that port (The far right in the images), I switched mid call, buzzing gone.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#5PhilOnDezPosted 3/13/2014 5:26:26 PM(edited)
iPhone 4S. It's only when I get a 'real' text though, not iMessages or IMs. It only has 3G and LTE has been on the market for a while so I guess it is kinda old, definitely not antiquated though.

E: The USB port on the right looks like an e-sata port. I'm not sure how that's hooked to your motherboard but it's definitely possible it's picking up more interference than your other USB cables.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
#6Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 5:27:52 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
iPhone 4S. It's only when I get a 'real' text though, not iMessages or IMs. It only has 3G and LTE has been on the market for a while so I guess it is kinda old, definitely not antiquated though.

E: The USB port on the right looks like an e-sata port. I'm not sure how that's hooked to your motherboard but it's definitely possible it's picking up more interference than your other USB cables.

Could be.. just anyone listening to me on Mic hears me all robotic as well.
So that is why I was curious
---
#7fataliPosted 3/13/2014 6:01:32 PM
That port must have it's own cable to connect with the motherboard, and is picking up electric signals from inside the computer, I had that problem with my old case, when I changed cases the noise disappeared.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#8Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 6:32:25 PM
fatali posted...
That port must have it's own cable to connect with the motherboard, and is picking up electric signals from inside the computer, I had that problem with my old case, when I changed cases the noise disappeared.

Yes, I ran the cords myself when I built the system...
I wish my system supported more front port USB, one of them isn't even connected.
---
#9fataliPosted 3/13/2014 7:54:19 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
fatali posted...

Yes, I ran the cords myself when I built the system...
I wish my system supported more front port USB, one of them isn't even connected.

I never tried this myself, but I have read that some people managed to reduce the noise wrapping the usb cables with tinfoil, to create a electric shielding. But you have to make sure that the wrapped cables don't touch any components inside the PC or they could damage something.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#10PhilOnDezPosted 3/13/2014 8:47:45 PM
You could wrap it in foil and then wrap that in electrical tape to prevent shorts. This is provided you're worried about it of course.

My guess as to why it's happening is that e-sata doesn't have the same shielding requirements as USB does so they saved a few pennies by using an uninsulated/under insulated cable.
---