This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The only decent action/adventure RPGs I find are MMOs, but I'm sick of MMOs

#1jake-sfPosted 3/15/2014 3:18:18 PM
I can't seem to find any RPG that fits my needs at their very core.

-A core gameplay thats varied and interesting, combat that is more than button mashing, feeling like you have full control of your character so it gives a more action & real time feel to combat.

-Evolving gameplay (learning new skills as you get stronger, as well as seeing new things/areas/monsters/etc)

-Lots of things to do, and a big world to explore with objectives and progression (I hate sandboxes)

-I also have a thing for fantasy settings and games that aren't shy of using colors (without being cartoons or stupidly goofy)

But I don't like MMOs, because... because it relies on people, because they are too often based on "grinding forever to reach endgame" and the "endgame" is me stuck with random people or having to get a guild, to a point where you're still grinding content but with people, almost making you feel bad for missing a weekend and killing your ******* life just to progress in it... yeah, I did that when I was 16, not doing it now. I want single player games, ones you put an hour or two into whenever you want.

Problem is, when you move out of MMOs, what RPGs fits my basic needs? Its either full blown sandbox boredom, or otherwise their mechanics are just bad. I never could get in the Witcher for instance, the mechanics are a joke. We have a lot of "action RPGs" which are just loot fest Diablo clones with no story, no intrigues and no explorations worth a damn -> just kill loot kill loot. Sick of that.

I don't like Kingdoms of Amalur, Gothic, Divinity 2 (they all fail at the basics)... Xenoblade looked quite fun but oh crap, Wii game.

The more common options are little indie games that last a few hours, the absolutely tiresome randomly generated or rogue like RPGs, and turn-based RPGs which I'm not saying are bad, but I loathe turn based.

I'm sick of just giving up and playing random MMOs solo as if that was the closest to fun action/adventure RPGs I could get.

Where are the good single player action/adventure RPGs? (PC only)
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#2pitt12177Posted 3/15/2014 3:22:52 PM
South Park: Stick of Truth if you like SP.
Witcher 2

Sounds like you're sick of the grind.
#3Omnipotent_CowPosted 3/15/2014 3:27:25 PM
jake-sf posted...
-Lots of things to do, and a big world to explore with objectives and progression (I hate sandboxes)

This sounds rather dissonant.

Anyway, there are plenty of games that do what you're describing, but you're going to need to tell us what it is about those games you're listed you don't like that you don't like. If it's the mechanics and character progression you're looking for, you can't go wrong with the infinity engine games.
#4jedinatPosted 3/15/2014 3:46:12 PM
jake-sf posted...
I don't like... Gothic, Divinity 2 (they all fail at the basics)... Xenoblade looked quite fun but oh crap, Wii game.

Gothic 2/Risen/Divinity 2 are all good. You fail at the basics TC. ;P

If you didn't like Witcher 1, the second game improves greatly combat-wise. (I couldn't stand the first game). Though I didn't really care much for the story...

I take it you're discounting TES games by saying you hate "sandbox"... well those games aren't exactly sandbox and you can just play through the myriad quest lines if you like.

And... what about Dark Souls?
#5VmodePosted 3/15/2014 3:48:55 PM
First thing that came to my mind was Fallout 2. It's a bit dated and the combat is turn based, but it's loads of fun and there's so much to see and to (adventure, ho!).
---
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven" - extract from Paradise Lost (Book 1, Line 263)
#6jake-sf(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2014 3:55:30 PM(edited)
Dark Souls is its own beast... I never liked it, but if I'm to give it another chance, I've been waiting to get a widescreen (still stuck on a 4:3 CRT).

I never took the leap on the Witcher 2 because skipping a game is something I hate especially when it seems so story based, but I should consider it with so few options.

The thing with TES is that they are sandbox and that particularity kind of ruins everything else by design. I was born in the Zelda-like world, open but with linearity in it. MMOs are a bit like that -> and this is what makes it interesting to explore and progress through. Sandboxes end up being shallow and very boring to explore, and I never liked the mechanics of any Bethesda game either.

I was talking mostly about new games, by the way, I know most of the old ones, I adore Baldur's Gate (still come back to it every so often).

That South Park recommendation was a joke, right? <-< I'm not that sick of the grind, by the way. Grinding doesn't bother me if it leads to more interesting stuff. I even enjoyed WoW back in the days and just questing and questing, because of random lore bits and the game felt challenge back then. Having to stop and grind every now and then was never that bad when it was rewarding.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#7jedinatPosted 3/15/2014 3:55:14 PM(edited)
Vmode posted...
First thing that came to my mind was Fallout 2. It's a bit dated and the combat is turn based, but it's loads of fun and there's so much to see and to (adventure, ho!).

It's good, but Fallout 3/NV are better at being action RPG and are great games in their own right.

Last time I played Fallout 2 (few months ago) my save corrupted or something and the game started crashing after a few minutes every time I started playing. Lost a 25 hour save. I'm not going to play it again. The game gets kind of unstable with widescreen patching and a few simple mods I think.
#8VmodePosted 3/15/2014 3:57:15 PM
Ugh, yeah that suck. Better playing something else and going back to it when you've forgotten most about it.

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you tried Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? Open world-sih, but still directed and the writing is really good.

Also, maybe the original Neverwinter Nights (if you liked Baldurs Gate)?
---
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven" - extract from Paradise Lost (Book 1, Line 263)
#9jedinatPosted 3/15/2014 4:00:57 PM(edited)
jake-sf posted...
The thing with TES is that they are sandbox and that particularity kind of ruins everything else by design. I was born in the Zelda-like world, open but with linearity in it. MMOs are a bit like that -> and this is what makes it interesting to explore and progress through. Sandboxes end up being shallow and very boring to explore,

TES game worlds are "deeper" than any MMO I've ever encountered. And as I've said, it's not really sandbox. There are quest lines to play through. Not to mention mods make them entirely different experiences.

jake-sf posted...
That South Park recommendation was a joke, right?

It recently came out and reviewed very well. It's kind of a spoof on older school RPGs. It's turn based.
#10PhilOnDezPosted 3/15/2014 4:14:21 PM
I really doubt the Stick of Truth recommendation was a joke. All my friends have said it's awesome with the only real drawback being that it's kinda easy due to a few mechanics being brokenly overpowered. I actively avoid watching South Park and I'm even interested in it.

It's not released yet but I'm really looking forward to Wildstar. The combat feels really good, at least the melee combat and the engineer (mid range tank, can walk while casting). The warrior especially felt awesome with the variable GCDs. Even something as simple as mining can be an adventure, there might be a monster beneath the node, or a tunnel system full of nodes that you have a few minutes to mine the hell out of before it collapses. It might end up not being as amazing as I'm hoping but the beta impressed me a lot, if only with the ideas that were present since it was definitely beta as hell.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez