This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The only decent action/adventure RPGs I find are MMOs, but I'm sick of MMOs

#11pitt12177Posted 3/15/2014 3:16:26 PM
jake-sf posted...
That South Park recommendation was a joke, right? <-< I'm not that sick of the grind, by the way. Grinding doesn't bother me if it leads to more interesting stuff. I even enjoyed WoW back in the days and just questing and questing, because of random lore bits and the game felt challenge back then. Having to stop and grind every now and then was never that bad when it was rewarding.

Not a joke. It may be a bit easy, but it is an incredible game exactly in the lore of South Park. To each their own.. if you don't like the show, you won't like the game. But it's very, very fun and requires very little frustration on your part.
#12SinisterSlayPosted 3/15/2014 4:14:58 PM
I actually just finished blades of time and it's actually really good.
If you can get it cheap, give it a try.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#13NingishzidaPosted 3/15/2014 4:42:55 PM
jake-sf posted...
I can't seem to find any RPG that fits my needs at their very core.

-A core gameplay thats varied and interesting, combat that is more than button mashing, feeling like you have full control of your character so it gives a more action & real time feel to combat.

-Evolving gameplay (learning new skills as you get stronger, as well as seeing new things/areas/monsters/etc)

-Lots of things to do, and a big world to explore with objectives and progression (I hate sandboxes)

-I also have a thing for fantasy settings and games that aren't shy of using colors (without being cartoons or stupidly goofy)

I don't like Kingdoms of Amalur, Gothic, Divinity 2 (they all fail at the basics)... Xenoblade looked quite fun but oh crap, Wii game.

Where are the good single player action/adventure RPGs? (PC only)

Troll topic

Gothic 1-2 fit your criteria perfectly.

its obvious you don't know what you want.
#14Cool_Dude667Posted 3/15/2014 4:46:20 PM
I know you mentioned you don't want to commit to a MMORPG, but ESO is having its last beta weekend right now and it has everything you mentioned and more.

Exploration is greatly rewarded here, and the only time you would have to group up would be for the group instanced dungeons (which are greatly outnumbered by public dungeons)
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#15DaedalusExPosted 3/15/2014 4:56:51 PM
jake-sf posted...
Xenoblade looked quite fun but oh crap, Wii game.

Have you considered using an emulator? It runs flawlessly.
#16jake-sf(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2014 6:04:01 PM(edited)
Quote is broken, so sorry about this:

I know about Vampire Bloodlines and Neverwinter Nights, like I said, I know most old RPG games (2004 is old by now).

Every single Bethesda games is horrible to me, I don't know how many times I have to say this. All the core mechanics are always trash and the world as boring as they could ever be. I've had more fun grinding in Tera than I ever had doing absolutely anything in such sandbox games.

About South Park: lets just say its not the kind of experience I'm looking for...

Blades of Time looks exactly like a button mashing game to me. Think Castlevania: Lords of Shadows or Darksiders. Terrible mechanics, little to no RPG value. Don't know how much the RPG side of Blades of Time is good, though, but I did just read the story was also terrible.

Gothic 1 (the one I tried) was a pain to even control. I'm trying to say that core mechanics are incredibly important to me and as such I just didn't like the game at all.

Thanks for MMO recomendations but no thanks. MMOs are what they are, I can't bother with them anymore. Just, no, unless they have combat as interesting as TERA, then I -might- care.

I tried running Xenoblade but it didn't run well. I'd have to overclock my CPUs, but I can't quite do that. I wouldn't need much more CPU power, but any lag in Dolphin is unbearable.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#17clowningPosted 3/15/2014 6:07:57 PM
jake-sf posted...

The thing with TES is that they are sandbox

No. They are open world, not sandbox, huge difference. Quest is linear. It just has many side quests and lots of world to explore.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#18SpazH3dPosted 3/15/2014 6:18:38 PM
Singleplayer games can be sandbox now too? As in the MMO term? Oh lordy.

Try the older game Arx Fatalis.
---
- My vision is augmented
#19NingishzidaPosted 3/15/2014 6:22:23 PM
SpazH3d posted...
Try the older game Arx Fatalis.

seconding this, very good magic system too, where you literally draw the symbols in the air, similar to a paint app