This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any idea why hdmi to hdmi doesn't work but hdmi to dvi does? Laptop question...

#11Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2014 7:59:47 PM
Davel23 posted...
Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Yes indeed. To no avail.
---
"Now senators are getting high....and your plan against the ghetto back-fired..."--Ice Cube
#12Treason686Posted 3/15/2014 8:32:35 PM
I would advise running Driver Sweeper and completely removing all traces of Nvidia drivers.

--

Apparently Driver Sweeper was replaced with this tool, though same process.
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

1. Download the tool.
2. Remove Nvidia display drivers from the control panel
3. Restart into safe mode.
4. Run "Display Driver Uninstaller" (Man, Driver Sweeper was a much better name.)
5. Install drivers from Sony's website.

It's clearly a software issue from what you've said. If I'm not mistaken, HDMI and DVI are identical other than HDMI also transmitting audio.

However, if I'm being honest, I believe this is actually a cable issue and you either have two bad cables or you didn't actually try different HDMI cables. Have you tested these cables on other devices?
---
I <3 segfault
#13Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2014 8:51:45 PM
Treason686 posted...
I would advise running Driver Sweeper and completely removing all traces of Nvidia drivers.

--

Apparently Driver Sweeper was replaced with this tool, though same process.
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

1. Download the tool.
2. Remove Nvidia display drivers from the control panel
3. Restart into safe mode.
4. Run "Display Driver Uninstaller" (Man, Driver Sweeper was a much better name.)
5. Install drivers from Sony's website.

It's clearly a software issue from what you've said. If I'm not mistaken, HDMI and DVI are identical other than HDMI also transmitting audio.

However, if I'm being honest, I believe this is actually a cable issue and you either have two bad cables or you didn't actually try different HDMI cables. Have you tested these cables on other devices?

Ok. I'm about to try the driver sweeper thing. Is it safe? I assume so if you're recommending it. And, yes, I'm sitting here with five different hdmi cables, five monitors, and three hdtvs...lol...seriously man, I'm trying everything. I'm about to try the driver sweeper thing and I will report back.
---
"Now senators are getting high....and your plan against the ghetto back-fired..."--Ice Cube
#14Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2014 10:18:22 PM
Well, I used the driver sweeper to totally wipe out the original drivers then did a reinstalll of the factory drivers from Sony's website. Still didn't work. Made no difference at all, unfortunately. Thanks again.
---
#15DoramiPosted 3/15/2014 10:58:33 PM(edited)
Is your monitor set to receive input from HDMI? Some monitors make you choose the input source manually.

With the HDMI cable plugged in, go into the nVidia control panel and see if it's detecting the second display. It's possible that the setting was configured to not output to the external display.
---
3DS FC: 1246-9917-4900 | Pokemon X: IGN: Jing | Safari: Ground: Phanpy, Camerupt, Diggersby
NNID: StareRoe | PSN: Raftina
#16Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2014 11:04:33 PM
Dorami posted...
Is your monitor set to receive input from HDMI? Some monitors make you choose the input source manually.

With the HDMI cable plugged in, go into the nVidia control panel and see if it's detecting the second display. It's possible that the setting was configured to not output to the external display.

When the HDMI is connected, it doesn't even show up at all. The second display doesn't show up anywhere. Not in the Nvidia control panel or in the desktop screen resolution options. I even went into the Vaio settings and it's not showing up there either. But, if I use the HDMI to DVI, everything is fine. It shows up everywhere.

The HDMI use to work seamlessly with no problems. I took the laptop back out and out of nowhere it's not working anymore. Very odd. I have no pets or kids around and it was stored on a shelf under my living room table.
---
#17betatechPosted 3/15/2014 11:20:25 PM
Does it work on another tv?
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#18Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2014 11:26:40 PM
betatech posted...
Does it work on another tv?

Everything else works on all my other monitors and tvs except for the laptop. The laptop doesn't work with anything but dvi when using hdmi to dvi cable. HDMI is coming out of the laptop, of course, while DVI is on the monitor. This is the only way i can get it to display. HDMI to HDMI doesn't even recognize the presence of a monitor, regardless of what I try it on.
---
#19Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 8:18:25 AM
Bumping for any further advise.
---
#20ShuraYukihimePosted 3/16/2014 8:31:51 AM
When I see Sony and HDMI in any combination I instantly think of HDCP. Could that somehow be to blame here?
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.