This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any idea why hdmi to hdmi doesn't work but hdmi to dvi does? Laptop question...

#21Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 9:58:39 AM
ShuraYukihime posted...
When I see Sony and HDMI in any combination I instantly think of HDCP. Could that somehow be to blame here?

That's the same thing that I was thinking. But, how would I fix this? Crazy, crazy, crazy.
---
"Now senators are getting high....and your plan against the ghetto back-fired..."--Ice Cube
#22Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 5:28:44 AM
Bumping again. I've tried all the above but nothing has changed. Any additional advice highly appreciated. Thanks to everyone that has made recommendations so far.
---
"Now senators are getting high....and your plan against the ghetto back-fired..."--Ice Cube
#23popping4itPosted 3/18/2014 5:36:33 AM(edited)
hdmi to dvi sometimes break the hdcp

or try a different hdmi cable.
---
whens mahvel?
#24SlaynPosted 3/18/2014 5:54:02 AM
Sipher360 posted...
ShuraYukihime posted...
When I see Sony and HDMI in any combination I instantly think of HDCP. Could that somehow be to blame here?

That's the same thing that I was thinking. But, how would I fix this? Crazy, crazy, crazy.

Have you shut down the laptop with the HDMI plugged in, or shut down the laptop, plugged in the HDMI, and booted it up? Handshaking is confusing to me, but this might fix it.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#25Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 1:51:16 PM
OK...I have an update on this issue. Things get stranger. My god.

I just got back from BestBuy and I bought an HP 22bw 22" 1080p monitor with HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs. Now, with my older Viewsonic, the HDMI to DVI works fine with the HDMI coming out of the laptop and the DVI going into the monitor.

Here's the strange part. Both HDMItoDVI cables work with my Viewsonic; neither cable work with my HP. Neither of my HDMItoDVI cables work with the new monitor. It must be some sort of HDCP issue. I'm not sure if my Viewsonic is HDCP compliant. But, this new monitor is, to my knowledge.

Is it possible for a hardware failure to cause this to happen? Thanks again. I'm very confused now.
---
#26SlaynPosted 3/19/2014 1:52:40 AM
Posting because I want to know WTF he is doing wrong.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#27Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2014 8:06:59 PM
Bumping up to see if there is anyone else that has an opinion...
---
#28qwerty800Posted 3/20/2014 6:51:37 AM
Have you right clicked on the desktop. There should be properties or display you should see an option thats says output to tv.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.14
#29Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2014 7:15:48 PM
^Yes, I did that as well. Nothing worked. I really want to thank everyone that responded b/c this is getting stranger and stranger. Now, let me show you something even more odd.

I connected my laptop to an ASUS monitor with HDCP that I picked up today. Surprisingly, it works consistently via HDMI to HDMI. It even shows up in the Nvidia settings as being an HDCP enabled device (The first time I've seen this message on any display since using this laptop again). Crazy as hell considering no other HDCP device in my house works with this laptop via HDMI to HDMI; not even the HP IPS Monitor that I bought before exchanging it for the ASUS.

Ever heard of such a thing?

My only theory is that the HDCP chip in the laptop must have gotten damaged somehow and has a voltage problem of some sort. Any further comments appreciated.
---
#30Sipher360(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 4:44:37 AM
Bump
---