This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

to anyone in IT

#1nehukogPosted 3/16/2014 4:59:00 PM
So I am going to school for a CCNA cert and am on my second year. Well, our instructor get emails from different businesses looking to hire people knowledgeable in computers. Last week he got an email from a remodeling business in need of someone. He asked us if any of us wanted a copy of the email with the HR reps contact info, and most of us raised our hand and took one.

Now the other night I was sitting there, and though "eh what the hell, I'll give it a shot" Cause I desperatly want to get out of the retail job I am in now. I honestly expected the position to already be filled. But the HR rep emailed me back and says the owner wants me call tommorow morning! I am starting to get cold feet now, cause I have been at my current job for 6 years, so everything is comfortable in a certain sense, and I am really nervous because I am no genius with PC's. I mean I know how to build one, and I obviously know my why around windows, and have gotten mostly A's and B's in my classes so far, but real world scenarios rarely follow what you learn in the class room.

SO I am freaking out that he is going to want to hire me, and I won't be able to do all these high level masters degree things by myself with no book or anything for reference.

So to anyone in the field, do you really work by yourself and not allowed to look anything up?
#2r7gerrabbitPosted 3/16/2014 5:03:34 PM
Of course you're allowed to look things up...
Google is your best friend.

All an employer cares about is you getting things done efficiently. As long as you show results it doesn't matter how you got there.
---
Sig.
#3ocelot51Posted 3/16/2014 5:03:54 PM
First off, it depends on the job. But no matter what job in IT you pursue, you are generally free to complete the task as you see fit (within reasonable limits).
Secondly, you better look at the position closely so you know what you are getting into.
---
"It is only [in La Mulana] that we entrust our fate." -Japanese indie developer NIGORO on their love of the art.
#4nehukog(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 5:07:09 PM
well she did keep asking me about how my experience with CAD programs are, which I thought was werid considering I thought they were just looking for a IT person. I told her I really don't have any experience with CAD programs, but she still wanted me to call
#5ShubPosted 3/16/2014 5:18:16 PM
I think you should always go to an interview (or do a phone interview) whenever you can. It cannot hurt and you don't have to take the job if they offer it to you. The point of the interview is not just for them to find out if you would be a good fit, but also for you to find out if you would be a good fit.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6schadowPosted 3/16/2014 9:58:05 PM
Shub posted...
The point of the interview is not just for them to find out if you would be a good fit, but also for you to find out if you would be a good fit.

Yeah, so there's only one coffee machine, down at the end of the hallway. But you have to bring your own cup. Call me if you're still interested.
---
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.
#7datopgamerPosted 3/16/2014 10:59:12 PM
The internet is a valuable source of information. If you have a problem 90% of the time you can find the solution on the internet. You definitely want to use it when you work in IT. I've been working as a computer technician for over 3 years now and anytime I come across something I don't know I have always found information on the problem with a google search.

As for the interview, definitely go check it out. Even if you don't get the position it's still good experience for when you get another interview for another job.
---
I5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 12 gigs DDR3 memory, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 2x EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC sli, Seasonic 750w PSU, Monoprice 1440p monitor
#8ein311Posted 3/17/2014 1:05:58 AM
Chances are, you're going to be a lower-level IT staffer with at least 1 or 2 people above you that you can go to for guidance. This is good because you can have someone mentor you into the oh-so-fun world of corporate IT while you get to gain the experience and knowledge of what that kind of environment is like.
Since most of what you learn in IT comes from actually doing something, this is quite likely to be much more valuable and eye-opening compared to what you learn in class (assuming you do something more than basic inventory/hardware swaps/software installs/etc).

Go to the interview. Getting interview experience itself is valuable, and learning how to be comfortable and picking up on what kinds of questions employers ask at interviews can really help you throughout your career. When they get to the part where you get to ask them questions, try to ask questions that are specific to job duties and what kinds of resources they have available for you.
You won't find an IT position where you will absolutely be forbidden from doing your own research. Even if you think you know how to perform a task, it's always a good idea to review what needs to be done. There are always newer and better ways being developed to perform even the most basic tasks, so if anything keeping up to date on proactive maintenance and housekeeping can boost your efficiency.

For the most part, employers do understand that everyone has to start somewhere. If that particular company is reaching out to your instructor in order to find IT staff, then they're more than likely going to expect someone that's a bit green but is willing to learn. It's OK to tell someone that you don't know how to do something, but you are willing to learn. It's never OK to tell someone that you are an expert at something you know nothing about. Those kinds of lies will eventually catch up to you.

When I was an IT Manager, I hired a few staffers to fill my help desk/TIer 1 roles. The main things I looked for in candidates were positive attitudes and willingness to learn and adapt. I hated working with people that were set in their ways, or just seemed to hate talking to people or dealing with the interview. If you're going to be grumpy or negative during the interview, you're going to be a pain to work with.
You can basically teach anyone with a good attitude and eagerness to learn how to do most of the day-to-day IT stuff. If you can manage to pull that off, you'll be set.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#9protools1983Posted 3/17/2014 6:10:21 AM
Often times in a corporate environment they like to hire "green" or inexperienced techs as they are more easily molded to the mindset of that company. So like the above poster mentioned, if they feel you are adaptable and willing to learn then you have a shot.
---
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?
#10tigerex777Posted 3/17/2014 7:45:34 AM
You should go to the interview regardless because it will give you good experience about interviews in the first place. Being a student in IT myself and having worked in IT before I can tell you that going to classes and actually having worked in IT is a completely different experience. Experience and certifications to some degrees is more important than a diploma in the field. Unless they're looking for an intern and not pay much they might hire you but the chances are you're probably going to need some kind of experience in the field before you get hired at some company. It's hard getting hire when nobody will hire you because of your lack of experience, but how is anyone supposed to get experience if they don't get hired?? well, that's when the diploma comes in. That diploma that you're working on will at least give you a chance to get a entry level job at some company. I know plenty of people who are IT admins who never even went to school for IT but learned everything themselves and got experience working at some small company and business.
---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 770 SLI / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Asus 24' 144hz / Windows 7 64